Porcupine Tree 2022 tour, surround sound?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electric Moo

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I heard these guys are touring in 2022, does anyone know if they have a live surround sound setup?

Regardless, I'll probably check it out, need to familiarize myself with their music first!

-->Apologies if this is in the wrong section, is there a live sound area?

When I saw Porcupine Tree live in around 2007 in Melbourne all I can remember is it was bloody loud

LOUD n PROUD me too GOS….only saw SW on the “……COULDNT SING TOUR” here in St. Pete Fla and boy talk about LOUD!! He played in a very small theatre called Capital Theater. Before the show he did pics and autographs across the street at a local mom & pop record store😁

When I saw Steven Wilson he had some rear speakers, not used all the time though, so maybe!
Saw him on the TTB tour, standing right in front of the rear speakers. Not always in use, but some pretty cool stuff going on back there. Presumably, the setup was 2-channel, as far as playback is concerned: mono front and mono rear. That's the only way to guarantee decent sound across the audience.

I've seen him with PT two times and solo six times. Some of the solo concerts included surround sound, the effect of this totally depending on where you are situated in the room - from very cool to unnoticed. The sound has always been LOUD and GOOD with one exception, the last TTB tour which was ÜBER LOUD and DISTORTED.

Last edited:
LOUD n PROUD me too GOS….only saw SW on the “……COULDNT SING TOUR” here in St. Pete Fla and boy talk about LOUD!! He played in a very small theatre called Capital Theater. Before the show he did pics and autographs across the street at a local mom & pop record store😁
You mean the tour when he lost his voice? The show I saw in NYC, he basically didn’t sing much of anything, leaving all the vocals to Ninet, and it sucked. The show should have been cancelled (as it was the next night).

You mean the tour when he lost his voice? The show I saw in NYC, he basically didn’t sing much of anything, leaving all the vocals to Ninet, and it sucked. The show should have been cancelled (as it was the next night).
All I know is, his voice was perfect when I saw him in Chicago.

Sorry meant “The Raven That Refused To Sing” Tour😂😂 if I had used REFUSED the 1st time around I’m sure you or anyone else would get my drift. Not one of my favorites of his so I absentmindedly REFUSED to remember the correct title😂😂😂

Last edited:
Sorry meant “The Raven That Refused To Sing” Tour😂😂 if I had used REFUSED the 1st time around I’m sure you or anyone else would get my drift. Not one of my favorites of his so I absentmindedly REFUSED to remember the correct title😂😂😂
Humorous misunderstanding on my part. The show I was referring to was back in'16 at the Beacon Theater when he really couldn't sing, suffering from laryngitis. Ninet sounds great in her duets with SW, but singing the heavier stuff by herself didn't work.

I was also at the Beacon NYC show where as we sat down at just before 8PM they made an announcement that Steven had lost his voice. I thought damn but then they said the show would go on and Dave Kilminster would do vocal duties along with Ninet. I thought it all went very well. And Steven did sing later in the night as his voice warmed up.
One of my favorite SW shows because they made it work instead of just canceling.
Something got similar happened to Bryan Ferry at the Beacon, he also had vocal problems but did the Beacon show but the next few dates got postponed.
Maybe there is a big penalty for canceling a show at the Beacon.

Last edited:
I was also at the Beacon NYC show where as we sat down at just before 8PM they made an announcement that Steven had lost his voice. I thought damn but then they said the show would go on and Dave Kilminster would do vocal duties along with Ninet. I thought it all went very well. And Steven did sing later in the night as his voice warmed up.
One of my favorite SW shows because they made it work instead of just canceling.
SomwthI got similar happened to Bryan Ferry at the Beacon, he also had vocal problems but did the Beacon show but the next few dates got postponed.
If the situation with his voice isn't realized until a short period before the show, then I think that's the way I'd feel about it also - if there's a sincere decision that they can make it work, then yeah, bring it on. I think it's just one of those things where you're not going to have everyone agreeing about it, but it seems like a reasonable decision to me...

Old fart veteran concert goer here with some advice: do whatever you can to protect those valuable devices we call ears. I love loud music too, but have been wearing ear protection the past 20 years or so to make sure I can continue to do so without impediment until my dying day. Tinnitus is no joke and can easily turn our favorite hobby into misery.

Old fart veteran concert goer here with some advice: do whatever you can to protect those valuable devices we call ears. I love loud music too, but have been wearing ear protection the past 20 years or so to make sure I can continue to do so without impediment until my dying day. Tinnitus is no joke and can easily turn our favorite hobby into misery.
You and me both. I feel fortunate I don't have any hearing issues (that I know of) from some of the shows I attended when I was young and infallible. Why does everyone have to play so loud? I saw Porcupine Tree six times on six different tours at six different venues, and I honestly don't remember them being that loud, even taking into consideration I probably was wearing earplugs.

Last edited:
Yes in the past 10 years I don’t go anywhere without my Earaser brand ear plugs. If I don’t need them great but I see many small club acts and usually they are quite loud like at the Iridium NYC.

When I see Eric Gales for instance he always says it’s gonna get loud in hear.

Something got similar happened to Bryan Ferry at the Beacon, he also had vocal problems but did the Beacon show but the next few dates got postponed.
If that's one of your favorite SW shows, I'm guessing you haven't seen him too many times. Kilminster gets paid for his guitar work, not his vocal prowess. I know Steven Wilson is held in high esteem around here (and I include myself), but if I travel to see a show, I'm expecting the artist's best effort. It doesn't always happen, and health issues do arise, but in this case, I felt the show should have been cancelled. Maybe that wasn't possible due to contractual issues, timing, etc. and I understand that. All I can say is that the stuff he did try to sing didn't come close, so for me it was a disappointing show, saved only by his music having a lot of instrumental passages. And had I been at the Bryan Ferry show, I'd probably been even more pissed because his voice is such an integral part of his (and Roxy Music's) sound.

Back