Porcupine Tree 2022 tour, surround sound?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All PT and SW concerts I saw & listened to in the past were very good in sound quality. But of course loud.
(But not as loud as the Train of Thought Concert - Dream Theater...)

Use ear plugs for musicians. To save your ears and the sound. A bit expensive. But I can recommend this.

If that's one of your favorite SW shows, I'm guessing you haven't seen him too many times. Kilminster gets paid for his guitar work, not his vocal prowess. I know Steven Wilson is held in high esteem around here (and I include myself), but if I travel to see a show, I'm expecting the artist's best effort. It doesn't always happen, and health issues do arise, but in this case, I felt the show should have been cancelled. Maybe that wasn't possible due to contractual issues, timing, etc. and I understand that. All I can say is that the stuff he did try to sing didn't come close, so for me it was a disappointing show, saved only by his music having a lot of instrumental passages. And had I been at the Bryan Ferry show, I'd probably been even more pissed because his voice is such an integral part of his (and Roxy Music's) sound.

Actually have seen PT and Steven Wilson many times including his Bottom Line NYC show way back in 2001 during the Lightbulb Sun tour.

The last time I saw Steven Wilson was at the Nokia Theater or Sony Playstation Theater where he did use surround sound.

Doubt he will have that setup at Radio City Music Hall. I got some nice first mezz seats.

Actually have seen PT and Steven Wilson many times including his Bottom Line NYC show way back in 2001 during the Lightbulb Sun tour.
Then you have me beat. My first PT show was the In Absentia tour, but they were an opening act for Yes (I think at the Tower Theater in Phila.). I had never heard of them before. Needless to say, I liked the show!

The last time I saw Steven Wilson was at the Nokia Theater or Sony Playstation Theater where he did use surround sound.

Doubt he will have that setup at Radio City Music Hall. I got some nice first mezz seats.
I was at their final U.S. show back in 2010 at Radio City, and I honestly can't remember if they had surround or not.

I once saw PT in Newark NJ at the NJPAC and they were the opener for Yes (with Wakeman).
Strange combo.
PT is very dark and Yes music is very light and hopeful.
‘Back then I remember talking to the merch guy for PT who is also the road manager. PT always felt like one’s personal band, they weren’t big yet. And you could meet Steven pretty easily.

Just saw Randy open for Progjet at the Iridium in NYC 2 weeks ago. He didn’t mention this news at all so it is quite a surprise to hear it this week.
‘Randy was on the CTTE this past week and must have been psyched to find out.
‘Really looking forward to the show in NYC this Fall! 👍

I last saw SW on TTB tour in Hamilton and it was absolutely discrete 4.0 sound as the bass in the intro to Vermillioncore went from front left to front right.

But I never found it was "too loud" - I brought my -15dB filters and not once wished I had brought the -25s. I measured it around 110dB on average according to my social media post from the night.

Well, after seeing the Philly show on Sat., I can report that not only is the show not in surround, but it was one of the worst sounding live shows I've seen in recent memory. In all fairness to the band, however, I think it had to do more with my seat location than the production. First time at The Met and I was looking forward to finally seeing a show in this nicely restored venue. Front row on the Mezzanine I thought would be good seats, but we were almost at the same height as the top of the PA hanging from the ceiling, which I think contributed to a muddled sound waayyyyy too heavy on bass, although the quieter stuff wasn't as bad. These old opera houses were designed for just that. Next time I'll be on the first level.

Back