Porcupine Tree 5.1 remasters - Deadwing / In Absentia - getting nearer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But to recap:
Assuming you rip the BD, you'll want to invert the center channel and and boost the LFE by 7.6 db, for every song.
Optionally, you may want to shift the LFE back 10ms for every song (delete 10ms from the front of it).
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-in-absentia-getting-nearer.25276/post-489056
Thanks! Still wondering where this magic 7.6 db boost originates from. I mean - who determined it has to be exactly this number? Is the LFE on the DVD stronger exactly by this level? I guess I will just do the center invert only and give it a listen before tweaking the LFE. Some reported it becomes too boomy with the boost... And the corrected Blu-Ray does not have the boost or 10ms shift either, does it?

Which has the same mix as the mess on the original Blu-ray? Why is that better?
I'm just responding to all the posts of issues people have been having with the expensive Bluray box version. Unfortunately not one version seems to be perfect.

I probably would've bought this set if they included a remastered (or unmastered) version of the 5.1 mix. The old DVD-A, played straight off the disc with no adjustments, actually sounds okay on my system.

I finally got around to doing this. I think inverting the phase for the centre is good and all, but I wasn't aware there was anything wrong with the LFE in the original (I'm doing this on the DVD-A tracks)? When I boost the LFE by 7.6 dB, the bass is just way too boomy. Just to check, what I'm doing in Audacity is to select the LFE track, go to Effect > Amplify > increase peak amplitude by 7.6 dB. Is this right?
There's a faster way of boosting the LFE channel if you have dBpowerAmp 17:

Select all tracks > Convert To > Add DSP Effects: Channel Mapper > Raise the volume of channel 4 by 7.6dB.

I'm using 8 cores to perform this and it takes less than a minute for 15 tracks (the 12 studio album tracks + 3 bonus tracks).

Thanks! Still wondering where this magic 7.6 db boost originates from. I mean - who determined it has to be exactly this number? Is the LFE on the DVD stronger exactly by this level? I guess I will just do the center invert only and give it a listen before tweaking the LFE. Some reported it becomes too boomy with the boost... And the corrected Blu-Ray does not have the boost or 10ms shift either, does it?
See here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-in-absentia-getting-nearer.25276/post-489257

Today I did a bit of A/B listening with this 5.1 mix - with and without LFE boost. I am aligned with @edisonbaggins and his video review. I'm not that persuaded the low volume on the LFE channel is a mistake. I have the feeling it sounds better and fuller with the boost, but that's quite true in general... Anyway, there are certain tracks in which the boost is very noticeable, like Gravity Eyelids. In other tracks the difference is more subtle on my system, like Sound of Muzak. I think I'll keep the fixed version as my go-to, but this sounds great regardless of the LFE boost, as long as the centre channel is correct!

Excellent answer - thanks.

I prefer to play from the disc, so time to get out the credit card.
Received today.
5ADFE2C4-DE72-4393-9EF6-E714B165E6EF.jpeg

I still have not received my replacement Blu-ray from Snapper Music, and my recent emails to them seem to be going unanswered. I got an acknowledgment from them back on March 9th that they would send me a replacement when they were available. Not too pleased at this point, and as a result will be highly unlikely to buy the Deadwing set when and if it is released.

After finally getting an acknowledgement of my emails about 2 weeks ago, and being told they would send me another replacement disc, today I received the corrected disc. It took quite a few emails to Snapper, but at least it was finally worth the effort.

I'm spinning the 2019 remastered stereo mix on the Blu-Ray right now and man, I never heard the album sound this good! I still love the 5.1 mix, but it seems loud and harsh-sounding by comparison. It's a shame they couldn't remaster the 5.1 too...
I was disappointed that the 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray hadn’t been remastered by SW. I understood retaining Eliott’s impressive mix but keeping Darcy’s original loud and compressed master makes no sense.

I'm spinning the 2019 remastered stereo mix on the Blu-Ray right now and man, I never heard the album sound this good! I still love the 5.1 mix, but it seems loud and harsh-sounding by comparison. It's a shame they couldn't remaster the 5.1 too...
So what was the issue with the original Blu-Ray disc that they replaced? In laymans terms please :)

The demos CD is fun too. "Trains" has different lyrics during the second verse. "Heartattack In A Layby" has a radically different arrangement with drums(!). "Enough" sounds like an embryonic and much-poppier version of "Blackest Eyes". It's interesting to see how the songs came together.
Agree on the demos CD, Jonathan. The alternative versions are great and the sound quality, albeit mere stereo, is fantastic!

Back