Porcupine Tree 5.1 remasters - Deadwing / In Absentia - getting nearer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any definitive info on the 5.1 mix? From what I've read the stereo mix has been remastered.
The stereo mix has been remastered. You can sample the first track on streaming services (I can on Tidal at least). The 5.1 is the same as the previous DVD-A, with phase issues fixed. This is according to Plan9...

It's strange that this release includes the 2003 surround mix. I would have expected Steven Wilson would want to do a modern surround mix, especially after redoing his own surround mix of In The Court of the Crimson King 10 years after that one was initially released.
Perhaps. Or maybe he didn’t see a point in putting in the not inconsiderable work in an effort to try to improve on a Scheiner mix.

Perhaps. Or maybe he didn’t see a point in putting in the not inconsiderable work in an effort to try to improve on a Scheiner mix.

I have a couple Elliott Scheiner surround mixes and they are quite good. I haven't heard his Porcupine Tree mixes (this and Deadwing), but if SW puts a stamp of approval on them, that's good enough for me.

It's strange that this release includes the 2003 surround mix. I would have expected Steven Wilson would want to do a modern surround mix, especially after redoing his own surround mix of In The Court of the Crimson King 10 years after that one was initially released.

The cynic would say so that when it's re-re-released in a few years time a "new" Wilson mix will be the carrot dangled as an inducement to buy it again

I think I'll wait for reviews as to how much better than the DVD-A mastering this turns out to be.

So far, in my experiments with the center channel of the DVD-A mix, it just doesn't sound that much better reversing the phase. Maybe a little punchier? But only maybe.

I think I'll wait for reviews as to how much better than the DVD-A mastering this turns out to be.

So far, in my experiments with the center channel of the DVD-A mix, it just doesn't sound that much better reversing the phase. Maybe a little punchier? But only maybe.
I haven't heard the original DVD-A yet.
From what I've heard they should have kept the original mix but re-done the mastering. A quote from a respectable QQ forum member:

"2002 In Absentia (compressed and treble boosted-mildly fatiguing-great mix-horrible master-great album)"

My original DVD-A disc had started to fail on some tracks a couple years ago, been living off of a clone copy. I'm fascinated by this period with Gavin's addition taking the band to another level IMHO. So a deluxe treatment of that era sits well with me. This (like Toy Matinee) felt like the mix was referenced to an old Acura TL ELS system because it's just bliss, warts and all. If that can be improved upon, well then...!

Back