Porcupine Tree 5.1 remasters - Deadwing / In Absentia - getting nearer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My memory of various Scheiner surround mixes is that he places instruments fairly discreetly around the five channels. Is that the case with his In Absentia surround mix?

Scheiner's In Absentia is a surround tour-de-force. The rears are highly active with rhythm guitars (acoustic and electric), backing vocals, sound effects, strings, and percussion. There's even a bit of motion in the surround field on occasion, such as the middle section of "Trains" where the handclaps slowly move around the room in a circle. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I really love this album and the surround mix too, but it does seem to be a bit too compressed. It would be nice if they just remastered or demastered it, as the fronts are really hot:

Blackest Eyes.JPG

Like many others here. I am waiting to hear the consensus before I splurge on this.
Having already purchased the DVDA, CD, and LP, there will need to be some fairly significant improvement to get my attention.
My thoughts are similar. I have this album in many formats already. However, Porcupine Tree are one of my favorite bands, and In Absentia is one of my favorite albums. I'm somewhat enticed by the documentary and the book, but the cost is very high... So I'm kind of on the fence. What's the best price including shipping to Canada?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Just had an e-mail from Burning Shed, my Deluxe Edition Boxset is in the post:)
I am SO fighting the urge to re-order this. I got paranoid of postal damage and canceled my Shed order. Now, I see Import has it for even less money...and they have always sent stuff in nice packaging. Ughhhhhhhhhh

Seeing reports at SH.tv that the CD 2 tracks are missing from the Blu-ray. For those who haven't ordered, I'd recommend waiting until this is addressed by the powers-that-be.

Which CD 2 tracks are missing, all of them? I don't see the CD2's tracks 5 through 9 on the Blu-ray's tracklist, so those shouldn't be expected.

Which CD 2 tracks are missing, all of them? I don't see the CD2's tracks 5 through 9 on the Blu-ray's tracklist, so those shouldn't be expected.
The official listing suggests they should all be there:
The Blu-ray features the new master of the original stereo mix, the 5.1 surround sound mix created in 2003 by legendary engineer Elliot Scheiner, plus the audio from the second CD, all in high resolution audio.

Reactions: GOS
Seeing reports at SH.tv that the CD 2 tracks are missing from the Blu-ray. For those who haven't ordered, I'd recommend waiting until this is addressed by the powers-that-be.

Why not take the current disc then flog it when it gets corrected? They certainly don't seem to be on here.

I am SO fighting the urge to re-order this. I got paranoid of postal damage and canceled my Shed order. Now, I see Import has it for even less money...and they have always sent stuff in nice packaging. Ughhhhhhhhhh

The shed packaging is very robust

The official listing suggests they should all be there:
If you click on "Tracks" tab on the link you provided, there is a listing of each disc's contents.

CD 2

1. Collapse Intro [01:45]
2. Drown With Me [05:21]
3. Orchidia [03:27]
4. Chloroform [07:14]
5. Futile [06:06]
6. Meantime [03:17]
7. Blackest Eyes (radio edit) [03:38]
8. Trains (radio edit) [03:52]
9. Strip The Soul (video edit) [03:35]

Blu-ray

1. The Making Of In Absentia (documentary film) [1.49:45]
2. Blackest Eyes (5.1 mix) [04:26]
3. Trains (5.1 mix) [05:57]
4. Lips Of Ashes (5.1 mix) [04:40]
5. The Sound Of Muzak (5.1 mix) [04:59]
6. Gravity Eyelids (5.1 mix) [07:56]
7. Wedding Nails (5.1 mix) [06:33]
8. Prodigal (5.1 mix) [05:33]
9. .3 (5.1 mix) [05:26]
10. The Creator Has A Mastertape (5.1 mix) [05:21]
11. Heartattack In A Layby (5.1 mix) [04:15]
12. Strip The Soul (5.1 mix) [07:22]
13. Collapse The Light Into Earth (5.1 mix) [05:52]
14. Drown With Me (5.1 mix) [05:21]
15. Chloroform (5.1 mix) [07:14]
16. Futile (5.1 mix) [06:03]

Either the description is misleading or the track listing is off.

Back