Porcupine Tree 5.1 remasters - Deadwing / In Absentia - getting nearer?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is listed at a decent price at Amazon right now and I believe includes the replacement disc too, according to info on SHF. I might just have to bite.

In Absentia (4 Disc Deluxe Edition with 100pg book) Amazon.com
It was on sale there a month or so ago and I got it for just over $18 with replacement disc.....I think of few of us here did.

All these sort of things trip me up in their wording. So, for us surround fans, what is this offering that is different from the original DVD-A I have? Just the 4 bonus tracks? I mean, no Atmos...so....
Nothing I think. Same as the In Absentia reissue. I guess it's good if you didn't manage to get the DVD-A at some point.

Side note, I have a memory when I bought this DVD that it would never come up as a DVD-A, only DVD-V. There was also nothing in the AUDIO_TS folder, unlike other DVD-A's. I returned it and replaced it but same thing with the replacement. Did anyone else have this issue?

If I read correctly, Wilson isn’t interested in revisiting his past work for Atmos, but it wasn’t clear if that was everything, or just PT.

However, I hope that’s an instance where (as he’s admitted in the past) he’s lying. At the very least maybe he’d be open to changing his mind. Doesn’t seem like that’s the case here, though.

I wonder if he’d at least re-visit his solo material. I’d be a very happy camper with an Atmos version of Raven... which was my first experience with Wilson’s music in any form and still my favorite.

No Atmos....disapointment.
If I read correctly, Wilson isn’t interested in revisiting his past work for Atmos, but it wasn’t clear if that was everything, or just PT.
Maybe, but I think it also has to do with him not having the original 5.1 mix sessions (as he told S&V's Mike Mettler last year). Remember that IA & Deadwing were mixed in 5.1 at Elliot Scheiner's home studio in Connecticut, before Wilson set up his own system.
Mettler: I hear you. But it seems to me [March 2005's] Deadwing is just sitting there as something they might come to you and say, "Would you do a big Atmos thing for this album?" I mean, getting "Halo" in Atmos—how can you not want to do that?

Wilson: Yeah, that one might be one to do, although that was originally done by Elliot Scheiner in 5.1 [for Deadwing's concurrent DVD-Audio release].

Mettler: True—so now we've got a viable option here, because we can say you didn't technically do that Deadwing surround mix entirely by yourself.

Wilson: I'm not even sure if I've got the files—the original 5.1 mix files. But [April 2007's] Fear of a Blank Planet I could do. Well, we'll see—if there are any big reissue projects, then I might certainly consider doing them in Atmos.
Without those old 5.1 sessions to use as a springboard for the Atmos mix, I think he'd have to start from scratch and forensically piece the album back together (basically treating it like one of his classic album remixes).

That'd be a much bigger undertaking than simply loading the session file for one of the albums he did mix in 5.1 (such as FOABP, as suggested in the article) and starting to work on an Atmos mix from there.

porcupine-tree_deadwing_boxset.jpg

porcupine-tree_deadwing_boxset_2.jpg

porcupine-tree_deadwing_boxset_3.jpg

Back