BluRay Music Video Poll Porcupine Tree - ANESTHETIZE [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray Disc of Porcupine Tree's ANESTHETIZE

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters
I'm pretty sure the PT DVD-A's DVD-A layer is 24/48[which is what SW records at 24/48 except for the new solo abum which will be on Blu ray at 24/96].

Steve records & mixes at 24/48 and if the new one is at 24/96 it has been upsampled for mastering.
This does not mean it is not "proper" high resolution, either.

Yes, the black levels are washed out on the Blu-ray. The DVD has better blacks. A real shame, but at least it sounds great.

I gave away the DVD to my brother and was disappointed with the black levels also of the Blu-Ray. I think i would take back my DVD to watch it for the first time just to see the difference.

Steve records & mixes at 24/48 and if the new one is at 24/96 it has been upsampled for mastering.
This does not mean it is not "proper" high resolution, either.

Sorry guys, I need to correct this info as it is wrong.
Steven records & mixes at 24/96 since January 2011 - the sole exception lately has been the ELP as the transfers were done at 24/48.
The Tull, Storm Corrosion, GFD and everything from now on is at 24/96 - no upsampling.
My apologies to Steven as well.

Sorry guys, I need to correct this info as it is wrong.
Steven records & mixes at 24/96 since January 2011 - the sole exception lately has been the ELP as the transfers were done at 24/48.
The Tull, Storm Corrosion, GFD and everything from now on is at 24/96 - no upsampling.
My apologies to Steven as well.

WHY DOES HE INSIST ON 48/24???????
It's not like his Apogee interface can't handle 96/24!!!!!
Last time I checked we are in 2012, not 1995!

(shakin' my head.....)
I find this very disappointing...heck even the ELP transfers are that way...what a waste!!!!

end of rant...

WHY DOES HE INSIST ON 48/24???????
It's not like his Apogee interface can't handle 96/24!!!!!
Last time I checked we are in 2012, not 1995!

(shakin' my head.....)
I find this very disappointing...heck even the ELP transfers are that way...what a waste!!!!

end of rant...

Well he doesn't insist on 48/24. Neil says SW records and mixes in 96/24 for the last 2 years, except for the ELP's. But that is probably beyond his control.

Yes, the black levels are washed out on the Blu-ray. The DVD has better blacks. A real shame, but at least it sounds great.

Just notice that after watching for the first time the dvd in many years. The blacks on the DVD are way better than on the Blu-Ray. It must have been a encoding error when they did the BLu-Ray. Just hope that they will not repeat this in the next Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree's Blu-Ray.

Just notice that after watching for the first time the dvd in many years. The blacks on the DVD are way better than on the Blu-Ray. It must have been a encoding error when they did the BLu-Ray. Just hope that they will not repeat this in the next Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree's Blu-Ray.
I dunno... the blacks on the Blu-ray look fine to me with the exception of when the image is bathed in blue lighting. Regardless, an exceptional performance and recording. A benchmark in HD concert video/audio.

I voted 10 because this disc has Great Fidelity, Great Mix and Great Content! It does not have great video but this website is about Great Audio and this disc is stuff to dream of!

This was my first Porcupine Tree disc. I'd never listened to them before buying this blu-ray about 12 months ago. I was hooked on first play. Then bought everything I could find in surround (cost a small fortune). Now have all their DVD-Audio and DVD releases. (And of course all solo releases from Steven Wilson).

This disc should be in every surround music lovers collection. If you don't have a blu-ray player then get out and buy one AND this disc!

This is the disc that turned me on to PT. I literally bought it after stumbling onto one of their videos on youtube. Had not heard of them, nor Steven Wilson at the time. I remember loving this disc so much - that I immediately purchased another copy and sent it to my best friend and told him he would be blown away by this "new band"...I thought they were new...lol!

Anyway, yeah. Anyone who likes PT and doesn't have this? You seriously need to get it right now....it is one of the most powerful concerts I've ever seen and the powerhouse drumming scenes with Gavin are simply heart stopping. This is a very strong 10.

Got this last week, and it is one hell of a concert.

You may remember my "oh, I don't like PT because it doesn't move me,blah blah blah"..and , yes, there are things that I still don't get , but this BluRay is an industry standard.
I've watched it at least 3 times and I don't need to crank it to appreciate the sound and mix.

As I have said before, the star in this group is Gavin. His fluidity and impeccable technique, along with his great taste were the turning point on my liking PT (that was in the Nov 2009 "The Incident" tour gig).
Man, he bangs the SHIT out of those poor Sonors and Zildjians (especially the hihats!!!)..

I am not familiar with most of the songs after the FOABP set, but , funnily enough, my wife pointed out the similarity in vocal delivery and timbre to ...SIMON LE BON!!! in some songs, and she's right...-refer to "Halo" (well... both are Scorpios)

Being a bass player, I love Colin's style and melody , and he gets "brass cojones" points from me for playing a fretless (only one "bum" note in the concert)..I must say that, even though nowadays, it really doesn't matter the bass you play, I prefer the Spector ones to the ones he played in the next tour...

Even though it's not 96/24, it gets a big tenner from me!!!

Go Steven!!!

Reactions: GOS
Anybody need this disc?

If so, Kscope are reissuing it.

2CD/DVD edition: https://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/169/6512/
Blu-Ray edition: https://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/169/6513/

Keep these things in mind.
This is the first time the CDs are available at a convenient retail price since the big Red or Grey book editions sold out.
The CDs also contain "Prodigal", which is not on the DVD or Blu-Ray. (It can be viewed on YouTube however.)
The Blu-Ray however contains 5 concert screen films which are not on the DVD.

There's no new content here. Just another way for those that don't have it to get it. :)

Sorry I missed this posting prior to my posting at the Ask Steven section, but I noticed Way Out Of Here is not on the reissue. True?

I have the DVD but desperately want the CDs. Maybe it makes sense to buy my first bluray....which will lead to buying a blu ray player...which will lead to buying more blurays.. Which will lead to bankruptcy.. Ok it is settled I'm buying the blue ray

Wait a minute am I reading this right. The cds only come with the dvd not the blue ray??

My Blu-ray has the DVD with it for some reason.

The original release configurations were as follows:
DVD
DVD & Blu-Ray (one version is in a standard Blu-Ray case, while the other is in a digibook casing)
DVD, Blu-Ray, & 2 CD (deluxe book format with options for grey and red covers)

The new release configurations are as follows:
DVD & 2 CD
Blu-Ray

Wow. 10. I'm a newly minted PT fan, between this and the Fear of a Blank Planet DVD-A.

Artistry and professionalism on so many levels.

:worthy:worthy:worthy

My thanks to the QQ community. I would never have discovered this, and many other disparate musical adventures without you.
:music

Back