Music DVD Poll Porcupine Tree - Arriving Somewhere.....but not here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please rate the DVD-V disc "Arriving Somewhere.....but not here

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 2 - Poor Picture, mix and content

• 1 - Complete waste of plastic, don't bother!

• Total voters
OK, The "Arriving Somewhere..." was at my house yesterday. SE #1574. I spent the best part of the evening taking it all in. What a great disc this is! An instant 10. The performance brings back memories of the show I saw in the spring of "05", with a slightly different playlist and a couple extras. I agree that this will be a new favorite DVD-V to get out to show my friends. Just awesome! This is just about the cleanest sounding DVD-V that I have, especially for a live performance. I will agree with everything said above, with the exception of the statement that it sounds better than thier DVD-As. Even though it sounds very, very good, compared back to back (on my system) the DVD-As sound crisper and more detailed. But thats just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth. :) The bonus disc is great too! When "Radioactive Toy" came on, my wife came running into the room (We both love that one). Too bad it is just PCM 2.0, but it processes well in Dolby PL II. All in all this is one value packed set. This is a must have! (y) (y)

Too bad it is just PCM 2.0, but it processes well in Dolby PL II. All in all this is one value packed set. This is a must have! (y) (y)

I don't own this yet, but there should be a DTS track :smokin

Edit: wait, you mean the bonus disc, don't you?

Last edited:
I will agree with everything said above, with the exception of the statement that it sounds better than thier DVD-As.

Perhaps I was hasty on that one but I think what did it for me was the stupendous bass. Much better than the DVD-A's and as well the lack of compression which is apparent on all the PT DVD-A's in places. It just sounds more "natural" to me.

I don't own this yet, but there should be a DTS track :smokin

Edit: wait, you mean the bonus disc, don't you?

Yes, there are two songs on the bonus disc, "Futile" and "radioactive Toy" from Rock Palast that appear only in PCM 2.0. Everything else on the bonus disc has a DTS 5.1 option. I'm not sure why these two are the exception, perhaps they were only recorded in stereo originally.

Neil, can you tell us if this is the same set as the Burning Shed one? Or is the second disc here on the domestic release a CD?

The Second disc is the same, regardless of supplier.
AND it is definitely limited to the first set of 2,000 numbered copies. After these are gone, it will revert to a single disc.

"Futile" and "radioactive Toy" from Rock Palast that appear only in PCM 2.0. [..] perhaps they were only recorded in stereo originally.
The Rockpalast show was recorded to multitrack, the whole show was remixed (to stereo) by Steven Wilson and is available from their download store.
The Second disc is [..] definitely limited to the first set of 2,000 numbered copies. After these are gone, it will revert to a single disc.
You said earlier there would be 10,000 2 disc sets, of which 2000 were numbered. That seems more likely, as the numbered DVD's are gone and the 2 disc set is still offered everywhere.

great audio vidio good i gave it a 9 only for that reason if it was audio only i give it a 10/traonman92

The Rockpalast show was recorded to multitrack, the whole show was remixed (to stereo) by Steven Wilson and is available from their download store.

You said earlier there would be 10,000 2 disc sets, of which 2000 were numbered. That seems more likely, as the numbered DVD's are gone and the 2 disc set is still offered everywhere.

I stand well corrected.

SE # 1332.

A 10 all the way around.

I do not need to mention how great this sounds as all of you have posted this prior to me. It is fantastic.

I will mention, however, that I also think the visuals are just as good. I think that PT set the mood with the grainy special effects and the transitions from it throughout. It is a great touch to step off of the "Beatin Path" and give their artistic point of view. Personally, I think it added to the presentation of some of the best live music I have ever heard.

AND, yes my wife did sit with me through the entire show. She is not completely sold on them but does like some of the songs. She states that they are a little dark for her liking. One thing that she thought was amazing and no one has commented on it, is the cymbal song on disc #2. That was rather clever and the surround mix on it was very good!

Great stuff!:smokin

Last edited:
I picked the 2 disc set up today at Border's{$19.99]and it's as good as advertised.

Well it took almost a month from the UK but this baby has arrived !!!!!!

For the PT fans, you will not be disappointed! The multi-channel mix is right up there with the DVD-A releases, which are the cream of the crop.

Don’t forget your subwoofer - these guys don’t.

I’m thinking the songlist is similar to their last Providence, RI visit - mostly “Deadwing” with a lot of “In Absentia” mixed in.

A true treat in creative rock/prog genre.

An 8 for the video (they should do better, next time), and a big fat 10 for the audio mix.

Btw: anybody have the same confusion as me with the audio setup menu? I kept highlighting DTS and my Denon AVR played it in Dolby PLII. I gave up and switched to PCM and there she was, in DTS?

Btw: anybody have the same confusion as me with the audio setup menu? I kept highlighting DTS and my Denon AVR played it in Dolby PLII. I gave up and switched to PCM and there she was, in DTS?

There could be something wrong with the authouring, you are right. The highlighting on the menu is sometimes a bit confusing. I usually select when I think DTS is highlighted and then when the concert starts I hit my "Audio" button on the remote and if it isn't DTS then I select it then.

Thanks, Guy. I'm glad it wasn't just me. :rolleyes:

btw:

One of the more fascinating things I’ve ever watched/heard in my life. On the extras of the Porcupine Tree "Arriving Somewhere ...." DVD is the "Cymbal Song’.

Think of a Tick-Tac-Toe board. The cymbals top L/R?, four corners? the sides?, center & rear? ...the middle? (Boom, Boom)

Where you see the cymbals is what you hear, that’s where the sound comes from.

Kinda like an 8.1 experience

Fascinating. :smokin

One of the more fascinating things I’ve ever watched/heard in my life. On the extras of the Porcupine Tree "Arriving Somewhere ...." DVD is the "Cymbal Song’.

That is fantasic and obviously a lot of time was put into it. What the heck is producing the bass in that track? There is more there than I would think for just cymbals. I can't really see anything there that would produce that level of bass.

Totally great aggressive surround mix, constantly changing neat visuals, charged performance, ferocious nuance, reminded me of the June Atlanta show I enjoyed so much. Can't go wrong....

There could be something wrong with the authouring, you are right. The highlighting on the menu is sometimes a bit confusing. I usually select when I think DTS is highlighted and then when the concert starts I hit my "Audio" button on the remote and if it isn't DTS then I select it then.

When the logos darken, they are selected.
When they are the proper colour, they are not.
(From memory).
HTH.

When the logos darken, they are selected.
When they are the proper colour, they are not.
It is a common problem in menus (like languages selections) when
- there are only two choices, and
- the selection only changes the color :eek:

It can be solved (use some cursor next to the highlight), but it's not a big deal.

Back