Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (5.1/Dolby Atmos) 24-Jun-2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such an awesome and exacting performance, but playing it night after night live might have a physical and mental price.
Yep, but climbing a ladder and nailing in shingles day after day has a "physical and mental price" too. LOL
Poor fella, how much does he make a night for playing?

Why would I even think of doing it? Well, Sept 20 is a terrible time for me as it's my busiest season at work.
No worries bro, I'll give ya $50 a seat for the tickets and fly up to Chicago for the concert. I haven't been in the Auditorium Theater for years. ;)

Am I correct in saying that the Meridian Hall show (Toronto) is the first date of the tour? I’ve got tickets for it and that would be very exciting if I get to experience their return after 12 years 😁. I’m a newcomer to PT, loved prog for years, by chance I heard Trains about a year and a half ago and have been hooked ever since. September can’t come soon enough.

Yep. And, recently I had actually been contemplating selling my Chicago PT tickets......but now I just cannot do that. Why would I even think of doing it? Well, Sept 20 is a terrible time for me as it's my busiest season at work.
Hey, we’re going to be there! Will have to meet up somehow. Got Roxy Music there the night before also going to that.

Speak for yourself. I think a lot of us here still collect and enjoy CDs, myself included.
Ok, I did not mean you, but the price is still hiked up. Pineapple Thief latest had CD/Blu for less than half the price. An extra CD for £30+ is that good value for you? Anyhow, I hope you enjoy. I am sure it will be great, just gave my opinion that is all.

Ok, I did not mean you, but the price is still hiked up. Pineapple Thief latest had CD/Blu for less than half the price. An extra CD for £30+ is that good value for you? Anyhow, I hope you enjoy. I am sure it will be great, just gave my opinion that is all.
I have not ordered it either, as the price is about £120 here in Norway. Will listen to it on Apple Music.

It depends on what they want to present to the fans. The Pineapple Thief usually puts out the big expensive book and 4 disc set, but also puts out a standalone Blu-ray. Steven Wilson did this for The Future Bites also. However, some releases are big book and 3 disc set if you want the Blu-ray (LTE3, the latest Yes, the second solo Bruce Soord solo album - which was DVD not Blu-ray due to costs).

Usually I buy the standalone, but if it's too expensive, I will pass (I passed on Rush's AFTK - even on sale - and Moving Pictures). I was thinking of not getting C/C until I saw it at ImportCDs. My limit is around 80$CAD for multi disc and 45$CAD for single disc.

55 Quid ($68) is indeed pricey for those who want only the surround sound without the peripherals. (What else is new?) Perhaps PT will issue a stand-alone blu-ray for about $22 like SW did with The Future Bites. With inflation now soaring, it may become more difficult to sell the luxurious big box sets.

I understand everybody works for a living and wants to make money
But I am not going to buy this for $68.
I will buy the CD and enjoy it S2S through some decoder.
I am hoping for a stand alone bluray but will live if that never happens.

I feel they are deliberately hiking the price on this one as they know surround fans will buy it, even though they do not want the 2CDS.
That may well be true, but I'd argue that the label is at fault for this decision rather the band. Closure/Continuation is being issued by Sony/Music For Nations, whose only past surround release I can think of is the Opeth Damnation & Deliverance Remixed 2CD/2DVD set from 2015.

The prior Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson solo albums (up through Hand Cannot Erase) were under Snapper/KScope, who are among the few entities that still offer inexpensive single-disc Blu-Rays or CD/Blu-Ray sets.

That may well be true, but I'd argue that the label is at fault for this decision rather the band. Closure/Continuation is being issued by Sony/Music For Nations, whose only past surround release I can think of is the Opeth Damnation & Deliverance Remixed 2CD/2DVD set from 2015.

The prior Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson solo albums (up through Hand Cannot Erase) were under Snapper/KScope, who are among the few entities that still offer inexpensive single-disc Blu-Rays or CD/Blu-Ray sets.
It’s similar to when Microsoft, Facebook, et Al (Fuck this iPad. I tried not to capitalize the Al in et Al three times, but it won’t let me. 😜) buys some small niche tech company with a wonderful product…Are the good times really over for good? (Thanks Merle Haggard for that line.)

I was able to get the Closure/Continuation from Importcds for $63, including shipping. Though pricey for a single title, I must admit I've paid more for deluxe editions - however those are usually for classic and well known titles I really want. Thankfully, the pre-release songs are good and early reviews are extremely positive. Given SW's excellent surround mixing and production skills we know the album will at least sound great, and for fans of PT who had mostly given up hope of hearing anything new from the band, I think it's good gamble.

Also, the blu-ray appears to be pretty loaded with content (96kHz /24-bit stereo, 5.1 and Dolby Atmos mixes of the entire album, three bonus tracks, instrumental versions of all tracks, etc.) so it seems like fairly good value even for those of us who don't care about standard resolution cds or "art" books. I've also read some interviews that indicate C/C could well be Porcupine Tree's "official" swan song - I haven't read anything that indicates that the band has committed to doing anything else beyond this album and the upcoming tour, and none of them appear to be putting their solo careers or other projects on hold.

Back