Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (5.1/Dolby Atmos) 24-Jun-2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That may well be true, but I'd argue that the label is at fault for this decision rather the band. Closure/Continuation is being issued by Sony/Music For Nations, whose only past surround release I can think of is the Opeth Damnation & Deliverance Remixed 2CD/2DVD set from 2015.
I was playing Tull's The Zealot Gene this afternoon. While looking at the package, I noticed on the back cover that it says, "Sony Music." That set was $45 from Amazon. It has a 5.1 mix but no Atmos and two CD's. So even Sony can be involved in the release of a nicely priced box set.

I was playing Tull's The Zealot Gene this afternoon. While looking at the package, I noticed on the back cover that it says, "Sony Music." That set was $45 from Amazon. It has a 5.1 mix but no Atmos and two CD's. So even Sony can be involved in the release of a nicely priced box set.
The Zealot Gene was issued by InsideOut Music, another independent label distributed by Sony UK that's behind a number of recent 5.1 releases (Yes' The Quest, Devin Townsend's Empath, Jakko Jaksyzk's Secrets & Lies, etc)

Sorry I dont beleive its Sonys fault.
I think if Steven Wilson wanted this priced lower it would be or have a separate bluray issue. He has a reputation and push he could exercise.
I dont want to beat up on a guy thats done a lot for our communitys interests but we all know of other artists that battled for lower prices for their fans.
No one is expecting it for $15. Until he comments on it we just dont know.

Sorry I dont beleive its Sonys fault.
I think if Steven Wilson wanted this priced lower it would be or have a separate bluray issue. He has a reputation and push he could exercise.
I dont want to beat up on a guy thats done a lot for our communitys interests but we all know of other artists that battled for lower prices for their fans.
No one is expecting it for $15. Until he comments on it we just dont know.
I agree. At this point SW pretty much has the clout to release through almost whatever label he damn well pleases. If he didn't like what Sony was doing, he very well could have chosen another label or influenced them into different offerings/price structures.

Here's the new single:

New Porcupine Tree single 'Herd Culling' out today! It was the final song written for the album. When the rest of the songs were assembled, we felt there was still musically a “hole” for something dramatic in the middle of the album, so it became the only song written as a three way collaboration between Richard Barbieri, Gavin Harrison and I.

Beginning with Gavin coming up with an unusual rhythm in 11 (he’ll never give you something easy!), it was then a case of myself and Richard finding the music, and both of us working with sequenced electronics and sound design, alongside the quiet/loud guitar dynamics. The full 7 minute version is a musical storytelling which features several other sections, but I think the edit works quite well as a more conventionally structured piece too - a smaller bite of music.

I think Kscope were the ones to start giving more with their albums, like nicer cardboard, digibooks, LP sized books with 3-4 discs. It's different from the older special editions in ordinary jewels cases. Even the Led Zeppelin boxset from the 90s was 4 jewel cases in a big cardboard box.

I think C/C is an LP sized box/book with the three discs.

I think Kscope were the ones to start giving more with their albums, like nicer cardboard, digibooks, LP sized books with 3-4 discs. It's different from the older special editions in ordinary jewels cases. Even the Led Zeppelin boxset from the 90s was 4 jewel cases in a big cardboard box.

I think C/C is an LP sized box/book with the three discs.
I was never a digipak fan, but I have to admit Kscope does an outstanding job. I just got my TPT Give It Back, and I very much like the packaging. I like to scan all the graphics in case I want to a disc backup and have something decent to edit for a jewel/BD case. The trifold makes it al little harder to scan but that's no big deal to put it all together however you want in photomagicalshop.

Back