Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (5.1/Dolby Atmos) 24-Jun-2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought he was pretty good about including the bonus surround mixes? Don’t all of the other Porcupine Tree surround releases include the relevant outtake songs mixed in 5.1? I’m truly baffled they aren’t even on the Blu-ray in hi-res stereo at least.
It's an unfortunate trend that started with his solo albums, not having the usually great bonus tracks mixed in 5.1 ("Home In Negative" from Grace For Drowning, "A Door Marked Summer" from To The Bone, "Ha Bloody Ha" from The Future Bites, etc). I guess you could consider 4 1/2 to be the bonus tracks from Raven and HCE?

"Love In The Past Tense" is a standout for me on the new record, it could have been great in surround.

I wish more artists would follow the example of Bruce Soord and The Pineapple Thief when it comes to affordable, very generous releases. Steven Wilson used to be in that camp, as did Opeth, but unfortunately no longer. In Steven Wilson's case it's really frustrating because I think many of the so-called bonus tracks are as good as or better than what's on the main album.

Due to supply issues I've had to sample the album on Apple Music but I'm grateful to have that option. The 3 non-atmos bonus tracks are excellent. All 10 tracks amount to 66 minutes - not that long by today's standards. Why they are "bonus" tracks is a mystery.

I wish more artists would follow the example of Bruce Soord and The Pineapple Thief when it comes to affordable, very generous releases. Steven Wilson used to be in that camp, as did Opeth, but unfortunately no longer. In Steven Wilson's case it's really frustrating because I think many of the so-called bonus tracks are as good as or better than what's on the main album.

Due to supply issues I've had to sample the album on Apple Music but I'm grateful to have that option. The 3 non-atmos bonus tracks are excellent. All 10 tracks amount to 66 minutes - not that long by today's standards. Why they are "bonus" tracks is a mystery.
SW has become a marketing genius and realises the value of holding back songs for future events and changing another $100 for a box set. I too miss the CD Bluray sets for $30

I'm just not really feeling it with this album. We've heard 4 (3.5?) of the 7 songs so far (not counting bonus tracks), and yeah, it is Porcupine Tree, but it sounds like the small minority of Porcupine Tree songs that I never really connected with. I'm thinking of some of the latter parts of The Incident, or bonus tracks from Deadwing, basically. Oh well, hopefully the remaining few songs are really good, but I don't foresee that I will be buying this one, as much as I've been listening to this band since I was in high school.
OK, I like it better hearing it as a whole album now. And wow, Herd Culling is barely recognizable. They cut all the best parts out of the radio edit. I'm probably also in the camp of why didn't he mix those three bonus tracks into Atmos or 5.1? They're actually quite good. Although, perhaps more importantly, why isn't this available in Atmos on Tidal? 🤔 I can only find the 360 version.

Pretty sure "Never Have" is my favorite on the whole album. So, yes.

I really think SW is taking the p*%s now , he is indeed a ‘marketing genius’ , however after being instrumental in building an obsessive SDE format fanbase he’s now killed it for me as far as he ‘personally’ is involved . He made two albums worth of material for Future bites and as the SDE buyer you only got the bare bones tracks in 5.1/Atmos or even 24bit, relieving C/C today whifh was £60 for the deluxe CD set with BR and only getting the album in Atmos and not even the standard (cd and apple) 3 bonus tracks is monumentally hypocritical from a guy who procrastinates endlessly and self righteously about ‘the state of the industry’ , his self righteous lecturing is in fact the ‘only’ thing that is negative about an otherwise amazing talent . Mr Wilson, send out via townsend music to all SDE buyers the missing tracks in 24bit and atmos and I might buy your next one. As it is , you’ve become the less than genourous nemesis of your former self . That guy gave us bonus tracks , videos , remixes etc and a decent book .

Last but not least , listening to SW on the air studios interviews congratulating himself on his amazing artwork concept of a white square on his album and all the booklet pictures ……………………..I think sir that was the bloody legend Mr David Bowie’s idea on The Next Day album, which you’ve blatantly ripped off ….jesus.

The CC album is good , but all the aforementioned ‘stuff’ has diminished my enjoyment of it

As I wait for the shipment from amazon.de I'm listening now from Tidal in stereo in my PC.

The Gavin's drums sound so good, even in my PC small speakers, that when I listen other things, or classic with the missing drums, I feel those other things doesn't sound correct.

I really think SW is taking the p*%s now , he is indeed a ‘marketing genius’ , however after being instrumental in building an obsessive SDE format fanbase he’s now killed it for me as far as he ‘personally’ is involved . He made two albums worth of material for Future bites and as the SDE buyer you only got the bare bones tracks in 5.1/Atmos or even 24bit, relieving C/C today whifh was £60 for the deluxe CD set with BR and only getting the album in Atmos and not even the standard (cd and apple) 3 bonus tracks is monumentally hypocritical from a guy who procrastinates endlessly and self righteously about ‘the state of the industry’ , his self righteous lecturing is in fact the ‘only’ thing that is negative about an otherwise amazing talent . Mr Wilson, send out via townsend music to all SDE buyers the missing tracks in 24bit and atmos and I might buy your next one. As it is , you’ve become the less than genourous nemesis of your former self . That guy gave us bonus tracks , videos , remixes etc and a decent book .

Last but not least , listening to SW on the air studios interviews congratulating himself on his amazing artwork concept of a white square on his album and all the booklet pictures ……………………..I think sir that was the bloody legend Mr David Bowie’s idea on The Next Day album, which you’ve blatantly ripped off ….jesus.

The CC album is good , but all the aforementioned ‘stuff’ has diminished my enjoyment of it

I whole heartedley agree.

I was unpleasantly surprised when I discovered the SDE blu-ray did not contain the "bonus" tracks at all.

Next time I'll wait to find out exactly what any so-called SDE contains before buying it.

That would be the three bonus tracks, the main album is in atmos, i’m surprised they’re not on the blu ray even in stereo, I suppose the atmos files and animation take up all the space!

There is space for that and for more. And if not, just with reducing a little the bitrate in the video, there is space for much more.

This is the strategy of releasing more things in extra editions over time. Now in the streaming, and in the future in "extra deluxe" or compilation releases, with additional bonus, takes, outakes, etc. that are now recorded and mixed, probably in surround already.

This is to keep the adrenaline rush and fan base searches/comments alive.

Looks like Amazon does not expect anything soon.

1656161456985.png

I agree too unfortunately. It's a great album and an excellent mix, but its way overpriced! 2 cds and a bluray (which doesn't even have the additional tracks on) housed in a bit of an arty/not very interesting artbook for £55/£60.

For comparison, Devin Townsend - Empath, Yes - The Quest, Jethro Tull - Zealot Gene, were all 2 cd/ 1 bluray/ artbook sets, and these were around £35 each. Is it simply a case of musicians trying to make up for loss of earnings during the Covid years I wonder.

Has anybody who ordered from the PT store gotten their set? Mine doesn't even show as shipped. I think this is payback for getting my Permanent Waves box a couple days early.

I agree too unfortunately. It's a great album and an excellent mix, but its way overpriced! 2 cds and a bluray (which doesn't even have the additional tracks on) housed in a bit of an arty/not very interesting artbook for £55/£60.

For comparison, Devin Townsend - Empath, Yes - The Quest, Jethro Tull - Zealot Gene, were all 2 cd/ 1 bluray/ artbook sets, and these were around £35 each. Is it simply a case of musicians trying to make up for loss of earnings during the Covid years I wonder.
I see amazon.co.uk is selling the zealot gene artbook for £23 at the moment

Listening now to the hard disc Blu Ray. The first thing I noticed track 1, caught me off guard, was the song started off where I had to boost my volume a little than I normally start off. Then when the chorus kicked in, jumped much louder.

I had the same experience with the Apple Music version. It’s a trend I’ve noticed with SW mastered (or I guess un-mastered you could say) Blu-rays, like HCE and TTB is that they’re so freaking dynamic you find yourself turning up the volume in the quieter passages and when the loud parts hit you’re reaching for the remote again. Not really a bad thing, again like Steven says, that’s what the volume knob is there for, use it!

Has anybody who ordered from the PT store gotten their set? Mine doesn't even show as shipped. I think this is payback for getting my Permanent Waves box a couple days early.
Well, those of us who ordered from Amazon, importCD or maybe even thte PT site itself, have not even received a shipped notification. In fact, importCD now says backordered.

I had the same experience with the Apple Music version. It’s a trend I’ve noticed with SW mastered (or I guess un-mastered you could say) Blu-rays, like HCE and TTB is that they’re so freaking dynamic you find yourself turning up the volume in the quieter passages and when the loud parts hit you’re reaching for the remote again. Not really a bad thing, again like Steven says, that’s what the volume knob is there for, use it!
I get real frustrated with this. My only complaint about this album is that I have to turn the volume up and down constantly while listening to it. Sorry Steven, but the volume knob shouldn't have to be adjusted once it's set. I know so many people think DR is the end all to great sound, but I wish there was some dynamic compression applied to these. And yes, my ears are old and worn out so those of you with golden ears can tell me I'm full of it.

But, I do have to say, this is a great album. I streamed in on Apple and it's great music with a fantastic mix. But I doubt I'll buy it. Too pricey for me and it helps me justify my monthly fee to Apple. Price it right and I'll send money.

K

I get real frustrated with this. My only complaint about this album is that I have to turn the volume up and down constantly while listening to it. Sorry Steven, but the volume knob shouldn't have to be adjusted once it's set. I know so many people think DR is the end all to great sound, but I wish there was some dynamic compression applied to these. And yes, my ears are old and worn out so those of you with golden ears can tell me I'm full of it.

But, I do have to say, this is a great album. I streamed in on Apple and it's great music with a fantastic mix. But I doubt I'll buy it. Too pricey for me and it helps me justify my monthly fee to Apple. Price it right and I'll send money.

K
I really like it, I turn it up and let it roll. Love the dynamics of this record. :cool:

Back