Porcupine Tree - Closure / Continuation (5.1/Dolby Atmos) 24-Jun-2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree too unfortunately. It's a great album and an excellent mix, but its way overpriced! 2 cds and a bluray (which doesn't even have the additional tracks on) housed in a bit of an arty/not very interesting artbook for £55/£60.

For comparison, Devin Townsend - Empath, Yes - The Quest, Jethro Tull - Zealot Gene, were all 2 cd/ 1 bluray/ artbook sets, and these were around £35 each. Is it simply a case of musicians trying to make up for loss of earnings during the Covid years I wonder.

Sadly, I also agree. This new release is very unlike the Steven Wilson of the past,, the one we had grown to love -- who seemed almost endless in what he had to offer us, both as an audio engineer and a musician. I keep hoping, at the very least, for a single blu-ray version of this. This release is overpriced and stingy . :confused:

It’s interesting to read people complain about the three bonus tracks not being included on the Blu-ray disc and the price of the deluxe edition set being too expensive.

IMO, Steven doesn’t owe his fans anything. He can mix and release whatever music he wants and sell it for as much money as he wants. And Steven understands his fans enough to know there is a high demand for his music and they are willing to pay a premium to hear his music at the highest quality. If you believe his deluxe editions are too expensive, don’t buy it and support it. And complaining about it AFTER you purchase it accomplishes nothing.

Am I disappointed that the three bonus tracks weren’t included on the Blu-ray disc? Sure. But I can’t really complain when I get to listen to a brand new (and incredible) PT album that most of us didn’t think was even a possibility just eight months ago. I will gladly take seven new PT songs mixed in 5.1/Atmos over zero new songs. And I’m happy to pay a premium for those seven songs especially if that encourages Steven and PT to release more great music in the future.

found this on youtube pretty good review.. cannot wait to get mine! This is just about the album and not the blu ray or atmos for people who want to know if its worth it or not.

For those who want to rip there disc. You will have a choice of 7 chapters Angle 1 and 7 chapters Angle 2. I use MKV for ripping Blu Ray. I ripped angle 1 not knowing and then Music Media Helper could not open it as there where no chapters.
So I then ripped angle 2 and all is well.
I have ripped the Dolby Atmos, the DTS-HD 5.1 and the LPCM stereo.

Are the bonus tracks on the BD in Stereo only? Or, are they just absent completely?
CD 1 is the 7 songs.
CD 2 is three bonus, one of the three with vocals or maybe two with vocals, for sure one of the three is instrumental. The remaining 7 tracks are instrumental versions only.
The Blu Ray has Dolby Atmos, stereo, and 5.1's. I think three versions of 5.1.

CD 1 is the 7 songs.
CD 2 is three bonus, one of the three with vocals or maybe two with vocals, for sure one of the three is instrumental. The remaining 7 tracks are instrumental versions only.
The Blu Ray has Dolby Atmos, stereo, and 5.1's. I think three versions of 5.1.
I’ve read that on the Burning Shed Website but I can’t find anyone that lists if the bonus songs are on the BD in any form. Or, only on the CD Deluxe CD and Deluxe LP.

Guaranteed only on CD 2.
BD has 7 songs and that is it, in various modes, no extras, no videos, no nothing.
Thanks for convincing me not to buy this current format box. I'll wait and see if there is another version in the future..................i'll bite then;)

Since my hard copy appears to be indefinitely delayed, I've listened to the album on Apple Music several times. My initial thoughts are that the album is very good but perhaps not great; I've heard nothing so far that grabs me as hard as many tracks did on previous classic releases such as Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia and Fear Of A Blank Planet. It'll take many more listens (especially on physical disc if and when I get it :rolleyes:) before I can form a definitive opinion. However one thing is already clear - this may be the best sounding PT album yet released and the atmos mix is one of Steven Wilson's best.

Despite being a long time fan, Steven Wilson started to lose me with the overhyped and overpriced release of The Future Bites, and this trend has only worsened with PT/CC. After listening to many of the online interviews with Wilson solo and with the band, there seems to be a bit of hubris and maybe even resentment creeping into his discussions of PT and the music business in general. His practical actions have been to make his releases more expensive and less generous and I think this may reflect his actual attitude toward his fans. While he certainly has every right to say whatever he wants and market his "product" any way he wants, as consumers and fans we also have every right to be disappointed in this development. None of this detracts in any way from his undeniable skills as producer, mixer and musician but, at least for me, it does temper my enthusiasm for what he does and what I buy.

Back