HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - DEADWING [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Porcupine Tree - DEADWING

• Total voters
Great follow-up to "In Absentia"; it still has that hard rock/metal feel of the previous album but the songs are longer and fewer, and the concept (if there is one) is more obscure. As with most Steven Wilson work, there are some songs I instantly love (the propulsive "Shallow", the gorgeous "Lazarus"), some that grow on me (the prog epic "Arriving Somewhere..." with guest appearance by Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt), and one that refuses to grow on me (the monotonous "Glass Arm Shattering"). The fidelity is spacious and clean...sounds "less compressed" to me than the "In Absentia" DVD-A (which sounded just slightly so). The surround mix is superb (discrete and balanced)... what else could we expect from a mix credited to "Elliot Scheiner and SW"? The disc also has a nice bonus version of "Shesmovedon" with a much better drum track than the original. I give it an 8.

I'm not voting on this because I had it for one weekend, purchased by me, and then gave it away.

BTW: I do like Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. (haven't voted on either)

BTW: I do like Porcupine Tree's Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun. (haven't voted on either)

Then get on it! Though I would suggest another thorough listen-through of both albums before voting if you haven't heard them in a while. :)

I prefer 'Lightbulb Sun' myself, but getting on topic.... I love this album, contains my favourite PT song of all, 'Mellotron Scratch'.
I know SW wants to remix this album and 'In Absentia' to uncompress them, which I would welcome. In the meantime, now I'm shortly going to go and give this album yet another spin!

The surround? Yeah it's as professionally done as you'd expect. The music? If "In Absentia" was the moment the wheels came off PT, Deadwing is the album which confirmed it. As I stood, watching this live in the Junction in Cambridge back in 2005, I wondered where it had all gone wrong. This wasn't the "stunning return to form" I'd hoped for. Only "Lazarus" passes muster I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Porcupine Tree's high spot for me. After a long search I found this a reasonable price. Such a treat and a great way to kick off the new year. 9/10.

I'm jealous! Where did you find it? My favourite PT album, but their only surround that I haven't been able to get.

I'm jealous! Where did you find it? My favourite PT album, but their only surround that I haven't been able to get.

I got one about a month ago from Japan. Check reliable eBay Japan sources, CD Japan, or Yes Asia.....

Well simply this album, in my opinion is the best of Porcupine Tree, without detracting from others, I think all fantastic.

Scheiner doing his thing again. Excellent mix, I like all the mixes in which the drums are well mixed and this is an example. Excellent quality, even though it is 24/48. This would be another one of the discs that I would like in Blu-Ray.

The songs that I like the most:

ALL

Mix: 10/10
Fidelity 10/10

I had lost this DVD-A! :eek:

But today I found it! :phones

It had fallen behind a shelf where I stashed a bunch of discs, and there it was! Perfect timing to process for the car. So I cranked it up on the PC and of course I had to remind myself what the alternate version of 'shesmovedon' sounded like, as I hadn't heard it in years.

Deadwing SMO.jpg

I think I like the original better.

I had lost this DVD-A! :eek:

But today I found it! :phones

It had fallen behind a shelf where I stashed a bunch of discs, and there it was! Perfect timing to process for the car. So I cranked it up on the PC and of course I had to remind myself what the alternate version of 'shesmovedon' sounded like, as I hadn't heard it in years.

View attachment 34273

I think I like the original better.
The great thing about flac-ing is that it is always a click away (or if I have internet access, when I'm on vacation)
Ok, I've lost the menus in the process, but, well :phones

The great thing about flac-ing is that it is always a click away (or if I have internet access, when I'm on vacation)
Ok, I've lost the menus in the process, but, well :phones

Way ahead of you - well, maybe not ahead, but catching up. Got me a RAID array setup and I am a flac'in and a tag'in and and storing all of this stuff for the car - and for the house!

flac files.jpg

I'll start again with Deadwing when SW will release a new box in a couple of years, with a new mix, lotsa extras. I only hope I won't have to sell an organ for it o_O

Back