HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - DEADWING [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Porcupine Tree - DEADWING

• Total voters
Elliot Scheiner is a genius. I LOVE how he uses the rear phantom center, right behind your head! Gives me goosebumps!

Sorry for responding to a 14-year-old post, but I just auditioned a new speaker set with this disc and had the exact same thought. Both this one and In Absentia have a lot of rear center-panned information that gives an amazing holographic effect if you're sitting in just the right spot. Check out the clapping effect that fades from "Trains" into "Lips Of Ashes", or the distorted guitar solo towards the end of "Mellotron Scratch" - it's like they're literally right behind your head.

How's the mastering on the surround mix? Is it compressed like In Absentia?

I like PT's music and have most of them (surround only of course) but can never seem to find Deadwing for a reasonable price. Some ebay dealer in NY just put a few of the book/cd/dvdv versions up for sale and I got one for $25. Seems reasonable to me. Would rather have the dvda but I don't have a problem with dts discs and this one is 24/48 which is the same as many dvd audio discs I have. I am wondering what the original price of this book version was when it was first released.

I like PT's music and have most of them (surround only of course) but can never seem to find Deadwing for a reasonable price. Some ebay dealer in NY just put a few of the book/cd/dvdv versions up for sale and I got one for $25. Seems reasonable to me. Would rather have the dvda but I don't have a problem with dts discs and this one is 24/48 which is the same as many dvd audio discs I have. I am wondering what the original price of this book version was when it was first released.
I looked at my past credit card records and found a June '05 purchase from PT's site for $36.00. I'm reasonably sure that was for Deadwing, and this was about seven years before I even had the capacity to play the 5.1. I guess I was looking ahead. The version I have is a 5 1/2" square book with CD and DVD. I'd say you paid a fair price. (y)

Thanks for the reply! I've looked for the dvda for a long time. It just seems like it aint going to happen, so I bought this. Some people have said they like the dvdv better because it has more bass but the dvda is clearer. I'm really looking forward to hearing the surround on this one. A review on the dts option from dvda disc said it was incredible. I guess the surround track on the dvdv is the same dts option from the dvda disc.

I looked at my past credit card records and found a June '05 purchase from PT's site for $36.00. I'm reasonably sure that was for Deadwing, and this was about seven years before I even had the capacity to play the 5.1. I guess I was looking ahead. The version I have is a 5 1/2" square book with CD and DVD. I'd say you paid a fair price. (y)
I also remember buying all the PT related surround discs prior to even have the ability to play them.

Well, much like In Absentia, I have no problems with this mix. Beautifully done, and it helps that PT has such immaculate fidelity to their tracks in the studio-- it's kinda hard to screw them up! I suppose it's a bit louder than some, but that has never bothered me unless it somehow compromises the music.

I haven't watched the documentary yet or listened to the demos. The book is nice and I like it better than the one that came with In Absentia.

As far as the mix is concerned, a 10 from me.

My vote is based on the blu-ray included in the 2023 deluxe edition (same mix, same 5.1 mastering as far as I know).

Music is good, mix is good, dynamic and full. I solid 8 for me. Hard to use this one as demo material, unless one likes the genre, but yeah, it's an 8. The deluxe edition might deserve more, since it is complemented by a live concert and a documentary.

Can we rate the box set in this poll as well? Just got mine this week...
I would say yes since it is the same surround mix.
My vote is based on the blu-ray included in the 2023 deluxe edition (same mix, same 5.1 mastering as far as I know).
The credits indicate that everything is exactly the same for the 5.1 mix: mixed by Elliot Scheiner and Steven Wilson, mastered by Darcy Proper.

The In Absentia poll combines both DVD-A and Blu-ray, which is specified in the (edited) thread title, despite the additional content on that package (and higher price) versus the original DVD-A release. Plus, the (corrected) Blu-ray fixed the inverted polarity of the center channel. Given all those differences and the guidelines for rating including consideration of content and packaging, I'm not sure that makes sense. The same logic should apply here.

Therefore, the question is: Should the thread title be edited, welcoming votes for the Blu-ray as well, or should new threads be created for both the Deadwing and In Absentia Blu-rays?

Please discuss in this new thread I've created rather than cluttering this poll thread. Thank you!

The new blu ray box set which contains the same mix as the DVD-A: Yeah, I love it. A 10! I wish they'd do all the Porcupine Tree albums in 5.1, and all the Steven Wilson discs as well. I've been playing this so much lately, it's practically my fave PT album at the moment. The first five tracks are ace!

This is a deluxe edition that I didn't buy for the surround mix, for once. Having Deadening on Blu-ray is great, but as mentioned, this is the same DVD-A that introduced me to the group. The mix is still great, and it sounds great. In this case I wanted the documentary and the essay in the book. This is one of the few releases where I had an interest in hearing the demos. All three of these are excellent.

I'm keeping it a 9, since it already had the point for extras with the original DTS release. At the time, it was the extra songs, now it's the all of the truly excellent material and exquisite packaging of the new release.

I have to say this in this thread.....Deadwing has the most powerful, clean and full bodied sound quality of any disc I own and....the songs get better and better until when it's all said and done....it leave's all of the other PT albums in the dust (and I have em all -in lossless). I have to rate this album as my favorite surround disc of all time. I can't vote in this thread because I have the dvd-v but if I could it would be one of the very few "10" votes that i have ever given

Back