Porcupine Tree - Did you discover them because of Surround Sound?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Were the 5.1 releases from Porcupine Tree the reason you discovered the band?

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
As it has turned out, QQ Members seem to have adopted Porcupine Tree as one of their favorite Pop/Rock music groups when it comes to surround sound audio recordings.

It has been stated that many of us would have never purchased or listened to this group had it not been for their DVD-A releases. So, the question for you to answer is this:

Were the 5.1 releases from Porcupine Tree the reason you discovered the band?

Votes and comments appreciated.

Saw them mentioned several times on surround sound forums - then proceeded to snap up every album in 5.1 and stereo....

Heard about them years ago, thought the name was cool.
Found a copy of The Sky Moves Sideways in a discount bin so I gave them a try.

When I went hi-rez a couple of years ago I started buying their 5.1 stuff.

For me it was talk on this board and a couple of other ones mentioning about the surround of 'In Absentia' coming out in 2004 and many people giving very favourable comments about the band that did it. That is what got me interested in them although the album cover of 'In Absentia' initially scared me off due to its disturbing image. Well glad that I jumped in as now I have all the surrounds and a few of the early stereo only cd's by PT.
As well have picked up 'No Man' and am still eagerly waiting for Blackfield to come out in DVD, at least I hope its still coming. That Steve Wilson is just to darn busy with solo album coming out, working on King Crimson surrounds amongst other things.
A big !(y) to QQ members from me as I have picked up quite a few good albums in surround because of this site.

peter

Yes, it was In Absentia that led me to PT. They seemed a cross between Crosby, Stills & Nash and Metallica.

I wonder if the band would tell us if their surround sales exceed their stereo sales or vice versa.

I had heard Lightbulb Sun before surround. I liked it- but my love for PT really took off after In Absentia and Deadwing. I have all the PT surround stuff and really enjoy it as some of my favorite surround music. Add the live DVD to the studio albums and it's an incredible collection of 5.1 music. Steven Wilson should absolutely be commended for his use of surround!!

I discovered Porcupine Tree after reading about their surround releases on QQ!!

Great band: I now own all of their surround releases (including all of Steven Wilson's surround discs with No-Man and Bass Communion), plus a few other Porcupine Tree CD's

I had never heard of the group or Steve Wilson prior to joining here and reading rave reviews of their surround releases. I have four and plans for more.

Chris

To be honest, I was put off by the cover of In Absentia (looked like something from a screaming Death Metal too me, prejudiced as I am). I tried it because of the reviews here and it was a pleasant surprise. I have all their DVD-A's now and hoping for more :).

Not so much the 5.1, but rather they were the one of the very few bands releasing 'new' stuff in DVDA. The band was/is also highly praised, which motivated me to give them a try. Took buying just one CD for me to keep buying it, regardless of if it was 5.1 DVDA or 2.0 CD.

Absolutely YES. I had never heard of PT until I discovered, though QQ BTW, that they had released In Absentia and Deadwing in surround sound. I'm am certain I would have never learned about the band if they had never released 5.1 mixes. Because of PT's great DVD-As I invested in the No-Man DVD-As as well.

Great poll!
Josh

After my first round of picking up all the DVD-A's from artists I was already a fan of (Steely Dan, Richard Thompson, Toy Matinee among others), I kept picking up In Absentia and putting it back until one day I just bought it, took it out to my car, started playing it and my jaw dropped. Fantastic! PT by themselves are worth the investment in surround gear.

I had not heard of PT prior to In Absentia, so 5.1 was my in to the worlds of Steve Wilson. Pretty much have every thing released bar some Bass communion albums, and every thing so far released in 5.1.

Of the albums not yet released in 5.1 that i would love to have in surround, Both Blackfield albums and Wild Opera by No-Man

I've been knowing them since 1999 and Lightbulb Sun. I saw first saw them live as an opening band for Dream Theater's European support tour for their '99 masterpiece (Scenes from a Memory). I've never missed a tour of their own afterwards.

I've been a fan since 1999 then, and I was thrilled when Steven first went to Schreiner for the In Abstentia surround remix. The rest is now, as often said, history.

I'm still amazed to see that PT and SW's other projects have become such high profile in the surround world. SW music deserved so much to be heard outside the prog world fans.

Back