Porcupine Tree - Did you discover them because of Surround Sound?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Were the 5.1 releases from Porcupine Tree the reason you discovered the band?

• Total voters
Surprisingly yes. This is music I would seek out in any format but the rave reviews I read online directed to me to try "in absentia" for its surround aspect. It's not often enough you get to play a new DVD-A (expecting to be wowed more by the surround mix) and find true musical treasures. It was only after being blown away by the music that I commented and found other fans amongst my friends that were already aware of PT. What a joy to discover a new band (to me), be blessed with other releases and the bonus of DVD-A's.

Yes indeed, thanks to this great forum, I found out about Porcupine Tree and that same day happened to pick up Stupid Dream CD/DVDA used at a record store and I loved it. Since then, I've bought every surround item of theirs that I can get my hands on. Thanks and here's looking forward to many more great releases!

The band was recommended to me a couple of times from friends who figured I would like them, and I finally did get around to buying "In Absentia" on CD. However, no sooner had I bought the CD when the surround version came out! I decided NOT to listen to the regular CD and instead ordered the DVD-A and waited for it as I wanted it to be my first experience. So, technically it wasn't because of surround sound that I discovered the band, but I first listed to the band in surround sound and it was a real treat!

No suitable answer for me in the poll.
I know their music, but it is doing nothing for me.
I don't buy anything just for the surround.

No suitable answer for me in the poll.
I know their music, but it is doing nothing for me.
I don't buy anything just for the surround.
There is no suitable answer for you because you are trying to answer a completely different question! Duh! :mad:@:

Well, I'll admit that surround made a difference here. As most here know, I'm not by any stretch a big fan, nor really interested in, modern pop/rock; so much of it is so rote and predictable and loud and dense--and not surround in an era where that SHOULD be commonplace--that when one of my brothers said I should check out this band--and Flaming Lips--I did, in stereo. Then the 5.1's came out, and I took a chance. Glad I did, but have to be honest too and say there are a few hundred old quad titles, and some more recent DVD-A and SACD mixes, that I'd prefer, if forced to choose. But I do like the mixes this band has come up with, and their music isn't great but not shit either. But not something I'd make a habit of listening to, my heart and soul are elsewhere...:)

ED :)

I bought the DVD-A of In Absentia without ever hearing a note of the band's music. The reviews here, plus the involvement of Elliot Scheiner on the 5.1 mix were all I needed to make the purchase. Since then I've seen them live four times, bought every DVD-A (and the live DVD, too) as soon as it was released. I also own both Blackfield CDs and their concert DVD.

I have spent hundreds of dollars on PT disks and concert tickets because this forum got me started. (I haven't regretted any of the purchases.)

I first heard of Porcupine Tree around 1994 through them advertising their albums in Brain Damage--a magazine dedicated to all things Pink Floyd. I found a bunch of their cds in a used record store and was quite taken by their spacey sound.

Fast forward to 1999, while scanning the Chicago Reader for local shows, I saw that they were coming to town and dragged a friend down to a place called Martyrs (which only holds about 200 people). They were touring Stupid Dream, and I must say I was quite impressed. The next time they came to town was for In Absentia in 2002 (somehow they never came here for Lightbulb Sun).

I was very pumped when I heard through QQ that they were doing a 5.1 release, and was doubley pumped when I found out Elliot Scheiner was mixing it!

Kudos has to go out to timbre4 who created a DVD-Audio mock-up of In Absentia and used it here as an avatar long before it was announced that a band by the name of Porcupine Tree was releasing their album In Absentia in surround for dts entertainment.

Here's an ad from the back cover of Brain Damage Magazine from 1995:

Attachments

• PT Sky Moves sideways 002.jpg
    PT Sky Moves sideways 002.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 459
My first exposure to PT was In Absentia in 2003. I discovered them from one of the "best of 2003" lists on Amazon, and loved their sound immediately. I fell out of the loop for a while, not really listening to them so much until Fear of a Blank Planet came out. I got that album, and shortly after I got into 5.1 and got all the prior releases asap.

Picked them up (In Absentia) off of a blind recommendation from a friend whose musical taste I generally trust, and never turned back. SHortly thereafter I picked up the DVDA, though I could only hear the DTS tracks (I have since gotten a Denon DVDA/SACD player). I now have all of their 5.2 mixes, SW's newest solo album and have the 2 No-Man and Bass Communion DVDAs on the way for Christmas.

I had never heard of PT until reading about them on this site. My first exposure was Deadwing which I really liked. I have all of the discs they have done in surround sound including the video Arriving Somewhere which is EXCELLENT! My favorite ss disc of theirs though is Stupid Dream.

The debate on here about IA certainly got me interested but Deadwing completely captivated me ( at least until I heard Stupid Dream :D) Since then , Ive bought the lot , back catalogue , Blackfield , No Man and , fortunately , Insurgentes Dvd-A which is extraordinary in its simplicity/complexity (!)

I'm so sad I've bought the beanie hat and a ***t load of t-shirts that dont fit me after they've been washed twice ;)

SW is one of the very few true giants of the current generation of artists IMO and the fact that he continues to support Dvd-A on quality grounds despite it being pronounced dead on numerous occasions shows what a class act the guy is .

~M~

Nope, I discovered them by perusing the Web for new progressive rock groups years ago when I discovered PT/ Ozric Tentacles/ The Flower Kings etc.

A music friend from Brazil sent me some samples of this kind of music and I was intrigued so I ordered a copy of PT's latest album at that time, Stupid Dream.

I first heard it in my car on my way to work one day and was hooked.

Been a fan since.

The fact that PT is now available in 5.1 is a tremendous bonus but I first fell in love with this group in good old stereo.

I've also seen PT many many times here in NYC. The first time was the Stupid Dream Tour at NY's Bottom Line.

Like most, first one was In Absentia.

Just got Insurgentes today. Am listening to it for the first time right now. Like it even more than PT. Great stuff - right up my alley.

Sorry, I do not like PT. I admit they have great production values and awesome Surround mixes, but it don't reach me...his voice is too lifeless, no passion or emotion...
I am happy a lot of you enjoy it, though...
Cheers,
A

Sorry, I do not like PT. I admit they have great production values and awesome Surround mixes, but it don't reach me...his voice is too lifeless, no passion or emotion...
I am happy a lot of you enjoy it, though...
Cheers,
A

Granted SW’s vocals are not the highlight of the band’s talents but I disagree that they show no passion or emotion.

On the contrary, I think the vocals are complimentary to what turns out to be the common themes of many of SW’s songs. The themes of disenchantment, dissatisfaction and disillusionment tend to be very common. To me, the vocal style fits in perfectly with the subject matter.

When you listen to how the lyrics are being sung, there is no mistaking that the world is not perfect in the eye of the song’s protagonist. This isn’t Springsteen belting out “Born in the USA” in a loud strong voice and fooling most listeners into thinking that this is a proud nationalistic song as opposed to the protest song that it really seems to be.

The vocals in songs like “Lazarus”, “Trains”, “Where We Would Be”, and “Feel So Low” all come across as powerful to me because I hear the longing and uncertainty of the lyrics relating to personal relationships on the slide.

So often the lyrics tend to perceive a world that is becoming emotionless and homogenized. By design or by his voice’s own limitations, SW’s vocals tend to be sung in manner that conveys the bleakness of the themes being expressed.

“Sound of Muzak” - Soul gets squeezed out Edges get blunt / no-one cares No-one cares enough

“Shallow” - I don't remember did something in my past to create a hole? / This city drains me

“Blackest Eyes” - I got wiring loose inside my head

“Fear of A Blank Planet” - I'm stoned in the mall again terminally bored / How can be sure I'm here? The pills that I've been taking confuse me I need to know that someone sees that there's nothing left I simply am not here

“Even Less” - A body is washed up on a Norfolk beach He was a friend that I could not reach He thought I was cold but I understand But for the grace of god goes another man

Granted SW’s vocals are not the highlight of the band’s talents but I disagree that they show no passion or emotion.

On the contrary, I think the vocals are complimentary to what turns out to be the common themes of many of SW’s songs. The themes of disenchantment, dissatisfaction and disillusionment tend to be very common. To me, the vocal style fits in perfectly with the subject matter.

When you listen to how the lyrics are being sung, there is no mistaking that the world is not perfect in the eye of the song’s protagonist. This isn’t Springsteen belting out “Born in the USA” in a loud strong voice and fooling most listeners into thinking that this is a proud nationalistic song as opposed to the protest song that it really seems to be.

The vocals in songs like “Lazarus”, “Trains”, “Where We Would Be”, and “Feel So Low” all come across as powerful to me because I hear the longing and uncertainty of the lyrics relating to personal relationships on the slide.

So often the lyrics tend to perceive a world that is becoming emotionless and homogenized. By design or by his voice’s own limitations, SW’s vocals tend to be sung in manner that conveys the bleakness of the themes being expressed.

“Sound of Muzak” - Soul gets squeezed out Edges get blunt / no-one cares No-one cares enough

“Shallow” - I don't remember did something in my past to create a hole? / This city drains me

“Blackest Eyes” - I got wiring loose inside my head

“Fear of A Blank Planet” - I'm stoned in the mall again terminally bored / How can be sure I'm here? The pills that I've been taking confuse me I need to know that someone sees that there's nothing left I simply am not here

“Even Less” - A body is washed up on a Norfolk beach He was a friend that I could not reach He thought I was cold but I understand But for the grace of god goes another man

Cool,thanks for the tip, I'll listen to some more of their stuff...the mixes are great...

Yes I did. Apparently my post in the new member thread didnt show up? I just had delivered today the limited edition American DVD audio of Fear of a Blank Planet DVD Audio only no cd which also has the Nil Recurring EP in 5.1 on it.

Green

Back