DVD/DTS Poll Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (Limited Edition) [DTS DVD+CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Porcupine Tree - FEAR OF A BLANK PLANET

• Total voters

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Please post your thoughts, comments & Observations on this title.
Also please say where you got it & how much you paid for it.

Attachments

• FOABP Fnt.jpg
    FOABP Fnt.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 846
  • FOABP Bk.jpg
    FOABP Bk.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
$25.15 delivered from The Laser's Edge. That is all for now - still listening :smokin

Make sure to check out the credits - I know someone famous!

I haven't been able to find this in the stores yet? I thought it doesn't actually com out until the 24th of April.

The sleeve of mine actually states '24 bit Stereo' as well as 5.1 dts. Dont want to flog a dead horses ( but I will ;) ) but what a silly format this is ! Should've been a Dvd-A track in here somewhere even if it meant a 3rd disc .

I will probably never listen to the Cd again ( well, maybe on the iRiver ) the difference and verall 'rightness' of the sound on this version is SO much better .

Maybe , next week after a few listens it'll be a perfect 10 :D

Nice to see one of our favourite sons mentioned in the credits ;)

~M~

Where did you guys end up getting this from? I checked all the stores in the area today and they all had just the CD.

I can't seem to find it on line either.

Word on the PT forum lines is that the 5.1 version is a Limited Edition release. An extremely limited edition release as it appears since almost all of the major online retailers are reporting delays and unavailability shortly after pre-orders were announced.

There was much hoopla made when word on a pre-sale of the 5.1 LE was posted on the band’s web site a few months ago. They did a pre-sale through Newbury Comics in the States and the LE sold out in short time. From all appearances it looked like copies were picked clean early. The news item was posted in the morning and by the time I saw it at 7:00 PM, Newbury was out of them. I then rushed over to Amazon and found that the US domestic issue was sold out but the import was available. Since then, my order was back dated twice and was being estimated to ship on April 30.

Ironically, I found copies at the brick and mortar stores in NYC (Virgin in Times Square & FYE by Radio City) and both had numerous copies at $23.99 & $27.99 respectively.
They both had also restocked their back catalog selections.

People on Dark Matter are reporting that the limited edition is showing up in stores all over - in the US anyways. Someone said that they reserved their copy through Best Buy's web site then went down and picked it up. Seems to me that Circuit City will do the same thing. Sounds like it was only really limited in Europe, hope you find a copy!

Got mine! :phones

The official deluxe edition with CD, DVD-V, & 40 page booklet. $22 at my local Newbury Comics. The price sticker states 4/19 for the release date. They also had the CD for $12.

I Listened to the first two cuts in the car.

Fear of a Blank Planet - is good vintage PT stuff
My Ashes - is positively haunting

I'll wait to hear the whole disc on the DVD-V before rating it.

Me likes, so far. :banana:

Last edited:
fwiw, just picked up a copy from the best buy near my office in san diego CA. (they only had just the one in the rack).

I ordered mine from DeepDiscount.com, and received a notice that it shipped today. :banana:

1 ATL899943 PORCUPINE TREE: FEAR OF A BLANK PLA (LTD $ 23.38

I spoke with a sales rep. and they assured me that this was the 2 disc Limited Edition. I would rather have the DVDA now, but this will give me the 5.1 DTS mix to listen to as well as a CD for the car. The DVDA will be coming in September with bonus material, and that will be just more icing on the cake.

Can't wait to check it out, and get the songs in my head before my wife and I see them in Cleveland (for the 2nd time), at the House Of Blues on May 18th. We are meeting with spenceo, dr. simple, and his wife for the show. Who knows, we may even bump into timbre4. It's going to be a PT/QQ party in Cleveland!

:woopie

Dennis

Blame the band for this. I think its a disgusting way to treat their fans and rip them off. These planned limited runs are not the way to reward their fan base. I am thinking of not buying their new release, in any format as a result of this problem they created. There's other music out there to spend my dollars on.

do NOT blame the band for this.
It is NOT, repeat NOT their call.
Blame the labels who have completely underestimated the demand instead.
Sorry, but I am starting to get sick & tired of all the whining about this being down to PT in some way when it is not.

Neil, I respect your posts and appreciate the inside scoop you provide but maybe a little empathy with the people that are frustrated is called for.

Yes I know that media appearances can be deceiving but Steve in particular sounds like (or at least reads like in the press) a very intelligent artist and an astute business man.

I have been following PT/Steve since the inception and have been a fan of the music once the more psychedelic trappings were left behind.

I have seen the fan base grow, the move from self-financed recordings to the independents to the major label. I have seen the re-issues, the vinyl, the bootlegs, the downloads. I have been impressed with Steve’s growth as an artist, his recorded out put, his growth as a producer (great job with Fish and Marillion, I will pass on Opeth). Most importantly, I love that Steve has embraced 5.1

Steve (or his manger) seems to understand the business just fine and on the surface it is hard to believe that his opinion and influence is totally discounted by the label.

PT’s ascension into popularity has created a lucrative second market for the eBay profiteers. For better or for worse, all the limited editions and hard to get back catalog releases have fueled a market where people are buying copies just to re-sell them for a profit. I think to some extent Steve has capitalized on that to move some records and keep the whole thing viable and I can’t blame him for that.

But this is where I think the frustration with the band comes from. People who want to hear the new music in 5.1 can’t get it because the 5.1 mix Special Edition is being treated as a collector’s item grouped with a cd and 40 page special booklet. People aren’t buying it for the 5.1 mix, they are buying it for the collector value either for their own PT collection or to re-sell once it gets even harder to find. I think the band should have seen this coming and pursued the label to do something different.

It is hard to believe the days of London Calling and Sandinista can’t be revisited.

To Dylan, send me a private email if you are still looking and I will run over and see if any are left.

Thank you Splinter, I think we have every right to blame the band for this situation. Based upon sales and demand for their previous DVDA releases they should have made the same arrangements for the new release.
To tell their fans they will have to wait until SEPTEMBER for the DVDA but in the meantime advertize a lowrez 5.1 version that most people cannot find is a big FU to their fans. It seems to be a ploy to get their fans to buy three versions of the same title when all they really want is the one definitive one.
Despite my cynicism about this manufactured shortage (gas scare anyone?)
I have gone ahead and ordered this limited edition from bestbuy with their promise that its on backorder but I will get it probably not till May 22. I hope I don't wait a month in vain.
I note it can also be ordered from amazon for $26.49 but delivery will take 4-6 weeks. Of course these vendors are depending upon getting their copies from the manufacturer.....
So I'm spending 2 to 2 1/2 times the cost of the regular cd to order this "limited edition" and having to wait to hear the music.
PT seem to have jumped onboard the limited edition trend as Bjork is doing the same thing with her new release. I have already preordered this pricy edition to get the surround sound mix as it will not be universally available. It probably won't be a DVDA either....

Is surround sound just being marketed to get more money as a collectable?

Thanks Neil, beat me to it.

Look at the way the band tries to do things in the right spirit and that should tell you that they'd never set out to have this happen. Steve probably got a report a week or two ago and said "F me, how can we fix the situation?" And it will probably take a few weeks to impliment something.

Q. How does a label determine what the pressing quantities should be for a given release? (Neil has real-world input I'm sure)

A. Look at the band's previous release sales, confirm they are touring to generate further interest, is the band pursuing all promotional activities, what does the band think, what is the buzz at retail, what is the volume of pre-orders so far, so that sufficient levels be established. What does Roadrunner think? What does Atlantic think? Are these incompatible opinions?

That probably worked for the CD, which will continually be pressed to meet demand, but the Special Edition had a specific number capped. Who came up with that number and if it's final is not known to me. Anybody with that is welcome to post it.

Another factor: Retail Music business fear or lack of confidence in physical media. CD sales are a fraction of what they were 5 years ago. This factor has not only impacted Porcupine Tree but the Genesis box set and re-issues campaign has been a supply-side disaster. Who's fault is that? Not PT's.....

This is still early in the game (week 1) and Burning Shed isn't even carrying it so that these are all available at retail. Whos' to say there won't be another pressing?

I appreciate everyone's sudden interest in acquiring this CD/DVD-V version but the vibe here two weeks ago included a *lot* of dissing it, not wanting to buy it and mostly groaning that it's not DVD-A NOW, etc.

Again, it's about the music. Buy the CD and listen to the music if you can't get/don't want the Special Edition. Collector's and fans determine value and scarcity not the band so much. Is there limited edition vinyl and other enticing merchandise? Sure but I don't buy much if any. Are people snapping it up for speculation? Sure they are; what with all the proclamations of shortages. If PT and their mgmt do not do anything about this, THEN get upset or move on to a different crisis.

Soundandvisionplanet.com = EARLY arrived 4/23/07; $24.95 + $4.95 = $29.90
CD Universe = sorry notice, backordered (automatic cancel after May15)
J&R Music World = shipped 4/24/07; $21.99+ $2.95 = $24.94

>>> Is surround sound just being marketed to get more money as a collectable?

That's laugh-out-loud funny! Who said surround was ever being marketed???

Most of the people buying it up don't even know it has surround; look at the product descriptions; most aren't even clear as to 1 or 2 discs, much less any mention of surround.

>>> To tell their fans they will have to wait until SEPTEMBER for the DVDA but in the meantime advertize a lowrez 5.1 version that most people cannot find is a big FU to their fans.

Taking DVD-A for granted now aren't we? It wasn't that long ago that getting Porcupine Tree in DVD-A was a... well... "stupid dream" unto itself. When In Absentia was announced it was a total shock.

When the Deadwing special edition came out there was none of this dissention. Either the band wasn't as popular as it was today or some other factor. At the very same time DVD-A was drying up and it was only a few pioneering artists who carry the torch. Whew, the DVD-A was released and it was of course terrific.

It has been stated in other threads that when the DVD-A is finally issued it will have material that is NOT available no with these releases. So that will be a nice touch.

I suggest everyone save their wraith for bands that are churning out boring music or not supporting 5.1.

Porcupine Tree is neither of these.

Don't forget that PT are actually discounting the Deadwing Limited Edition now. Why would they have made huge numbers of this one when they couldn't sell the last one?

This is great!!! :banana:

I will take Timbre's advice and go buy the cd. Even though I posted earlier that I did not want to.

I must sit back and be grateful that there is a band out there that sparks our interest.

We need PT and more bands like them. I will give them my support!:smokin

Back