HiRez Poll Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA [DVD-A/BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA

• Total voters
10. This was the first 5.1 disc I ever got - still one of my favorites. Besides having the DVDA, I am the also the proud owner of a set of center channel phase corrected FLAC files.

Voters on this title should specify if they're voting on the "stock" replacement disc or after they've applied their own alterations. Or both, as long as they note that.

To kick off this new weekly feature of QuadraphonicQuad, we start with a group that I had never heard of. After reading many recommendations from members here and over at SH, I bought the disc and found that I liked it a lot!

The music is great, and the use of surround is impressive. In my opinion, this disc is a classic example of how surround can work.

Please leave your comments in this thread, and vote accordingly. Rate the disc as an OVERALL package, surround and quality of music. It would be too tricky to have seperate ratings for both. If you have more to describe, put that in your post. Over time, we should build up a nice pile of posts that can be used as a quick reference for new people just getting into Hi-Rez.

Remember, everyone join in, esp those who read but never post, even if you just say "It's great", or "It Sucks"! :D

2020 3CD/Blu-Ray edition packshot:
81d4evOfPNL._SL1500_.jpg

It was fun to see Jon's original message in this thread. I guess it was the first poll selection? One of my first DVD-As and I had never heard of them either.

I have now!

Almost worth the investment in 5.1 all by themselves - PT, Steven's solo career, Gavin's disc and all the remixes Stevev's done.

Are all Blu Ray discs that come with the 4 disc book set faulty? If so how do you get the replacement disc.?
Not sure about other distributors, but my Burning Shed order included the original Blu-ray disc missing the CD songs and the replacement corrected Blu-ray disc along with an explanatory note.

Does anyone the find the 4 disc set worth it? Is there much of a difference between the DVD-A and Blu Ray? If so what? Thanks so much for your cooperation in advance. :D

Does anyone the find the 4 disc set worth it? Is there much of a difference between the DVD-A and Blu Ray? If so what? Thanks so much for your cooperation in advance. :D
I think it depends on how much of an In Absentia fan you are.

The Blu-ray’s In Absentia 5.1 mix doesn’t really deviate much from the DVDA to my ear. I’d hoped for either a new Wilson surround mix (even though I love Scheiner’s original) or a flat transfer removing the original’s slightly compressed mastering. The original mix and master are retained. I then hoped the new release would feature improved 96/24 sonics, but it’s still the original 48/24. I know Mike indicates some phasing corrections on the Blu-ray release, but I’m not sure I hear them.

So if it’s just for improved surround sound over the original DVDA mix, the Blu-ray doesn’t deliver. At least for me.
Honestly, @Frogmort has an ‘adjusted’ version that addresses phase and balance issues that’s my go to version.

I like the new release for the fantastic book, the informative documentary, and CD 3 which contains some amazing demos of most of In Absentia.

I think it depends on how much of an In Absentia fan you are.

The Blu-ray’s In Absentia 5.1 mix doesn’t really deviate much from the DVDA to my ear. I’d hoped for either a new Wilson surround mix (even though I love Scheiner’s original) or a flat transfer removing the original’s slightly compressed mastering. The original mix and master are retained. I then hoped the new release would feature improved 96/24 sonics, but it’s still the original 48/24. I know Mike indicates some phasing corrections on the Blu-ray release, but I’m not sure I hear them.

So if it’s just for improved surround sound over the original DVDA mix, the Blu-ray doesn’t deliver. At least for me.
Honestly, @Frogmort has an ‘adjusted’ version that addresses phase and balance issues that’s my go to version.

I like the new release for the fantastic book, the informative documentary, and CD 3 which contains some amazing demos of most of In Absentia.
Thanks!!!!

...great review and (having all versions of this) I concur with the overall sentiment; it's good to have for the extras and for the PT completionist, and is a marginal improvement in audio quality on the original, but not enough (imho) to be considered "essential", especially if funds are limited.

And, yes "Collapse Light Into Earth" is one of the best things he's ever written. :)

Thanks for saving me from buying this and being disappointed, 56Kid. I've always felt that the DVD-A mastering is a bit on the "hot" sounding side for my tastes.
The mastering is the same. The center channel has been fixed. It's an improvement on my systems.
Also, the visuals are better. It's an overall better experience than the DVD-A.

Does anyone know about this title

Porcupine Tree – ANESTHETIZE LIVE IN TILBURG-OCT 2008-dvd+blu-ray+2cd

Want to know how rare it is and the quality of it.

Thanks so much in advance :D

Does anyone know about this title

Porcupine Tree – ANESTHETIZE LIVE IN TILBURG-OCT 2008-dvd+blu-ray+2cd

Want to know how rare it is and the quality of it.

Thanks so much in advance :D
I only have the Blu-ray/DVD of the concert but it's top notch, IMHO. Sonics are great. The visuals/post-production aren't as aggressive as their live concert "Arriving Somewhere..." in Chicago, but well worth it. Not sure about the rarity, though. Just looked it up on Amazon and its going for 185$, so apparently its not that easy to find cheap, which surprises me. I would have thought that it would be readily available.

Back