Possible HDD going bad-maybe?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as Butters would say...

BUTTERS -OSJ.gif

CLONED HDD.jpg

Hopefully this has worked as intended.

I purchased the EZ-Dock; a WD 2TB Black, and Acronis True Image 2021 and started the cloning yesterday.

* a few days prior was spent prepping my old computer by making sure everything was backed up to an SSD; also turned off software like Anti-Virus etc., and made sure to Defrag everything. I also remembered to turn off the 3 hour sleep mode in Power Settings just in case.
Now, I have to admit this went fairly smoothly, except for a couple of things; first, I ran it through a USB 2.0 port instead of my 3.0 port (I did this intentionally because this old Dell has a separate card slot in the case and 3.0 was fairly new when I bought it, and I always felt, using it on occasion, that it was a little finicky (maybe drivers?) so I opted for just the 2.0 knowing full well this would extend the time period. But when Acronis started cloning, it estimated the finish time out to something ridiculous like 3 days and 21 hours or some such B.S. I figured it was just crappy at estimating these times (I only had 615GB on the drive) and luckily I was right. But it still took a looooong ass time, I started about 10 a.m. yesterday and sometime last night it finished, so maybe 13-14 hours.)
What was the most frustrating actually was the Online sign up to verify and use the downloaded Acronis app. I bought a boxed version off Amazon, and it came with one of those serial number cards. So when I started inputting the serial number to activate the program it wouldn't take anything (saying it was incorrect!) So ended up asking their online chat bot and it directed me to this page as one option-
https://kb.acronis.com/content/2704This is an activation key not a serial number, but you use the activation key to get the serial number to activate your account. But nowhere in the boxed version does it explain all of this. Took me about an hour of frustration just to figure this B.S. out :rolleyes:

You'll want to google what the startup key command is for choosing the boot drive. (Called the GRUB in Windows and Linux I think. GRand Universal Bootloader.) On Mac it's holding the option key at bootup to see the list of connected bootable drives to choose from.

That dialog box up there is glossing over that bit, FYI.

as Butters would say...

View attachment 66791

View attachment 66792

I purchased the EZ-Dock; a WD 2TB Black, and Acronis True Image 2021 and started the cloning yesterday.

* a few days prior was spent prepping my old computer by making sure everything was backed up to an SSD; also turned off software like Anti-Virus etc., and made sure to Defrag everything. I also remembered to turn off the 3 hour sleep mode in Power Settings just in case.
Now, I have to admit this went fairly smoothly, except for a couple of things; first, I ran it through a USB 2.0 port instead of my 3.0 port (I did this intentionally because this old Dell has a separate card slot in the case and 3.0 was fairly new when I bought it, and I always felt, using it on occasion, that it was a little finicky (maybe drivers?) so I opted for just the 2.0 knowing full well this would extend the time period. But when Acronis started cloning, it estimated the finish time out to something ridiculous like 3 days and 21 hours or some such B.S. I figured it was just crappy at estimating these times (I only had 615GB on the drive) and luckily I was right. But it still took a looooong ass time, I started about 10 a.m. yesterday and sometime last night it finished, so maybe 13-14 hours.)
What was the most frustrating actually was the Online sign up to verify and use the downloaded Acronis app. I bought a boxed version off Amazon, and it came with one of those serial number cards. So when I started inputting the serial number to activate the program it wouldn't take anything (saying it was incorrect!) So ended up asking their online chat bot and it directed me to this page as one option-
https://kb.acronis.com/content/2704This is an activation key not a serial number, but you use the activation key to get the serial number to activate your account. But nowhere in the boxed version does it explain all of this. Took me about an hour of frustration just to figure this B.S. out :rolleyes:

I don't know about Butters, but I think I'm channeling something from Jay & Silent Bob.....

You are now The Clone Commander!

Yeah, it seems like that is a long time for processing the amount of data you had. Some was certainly USB 2.0 but I also wonder if whatever that slow down bug was, the one that got you off on this project, was also slowing down the cloning?

My Acronis I think is about 5>6 years old now & I just got a DL from their website. It was easy to activate. What you had to go through is absurd. A great innovation, evidently, by the Acronis Department of Redundancy Department.

But really, glad its worked out & you've lived to tell about.

When you buy a new WD drive you get a free Acronis version from the WD website. It only works if the clone drive is a WD I think.

[Probably should have posted much of this here instead of on the "preferred NAS" thread...
Even so, Steve Gibson has made it abundantly clear how many times/places you'll see inaccurately reported errors -- even on brand new drives! -- when S.M.A.R.T. tables are the source of said reports.

[He also gets the point across that where and when such errors DO exist, SpinRite's method of addressing them will very often repair the error and/or recover data within sectors.]

-----

I tried (and failed) to point J.Pupster in Steve's direction, recommending Gibson's phenomenal SpinRite software first Possible HDD going bad-maybe? for resolving his HDD problems instead of going through all the time-consuming hoops.

Oh, well...maybe all it takes is seeing it in action.

00srGSD.gif

00srRTA.gif

00srDTL.gif

Attachments

• 1620243419911.png
    1620243419911.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 77
[Probably should have posted much of this here instead of on the "preferred NAS" thread...
Even so, Steve Gibson has made it abundantly clear how many times/places you'll see inaccurately reported errors -- even on brand new drives! -- when S.M.A.R.T. tables are the source of said reports.

[He also gets the point across that where and when such errors DO exist, SpinRite's method of addressing them will very often repair the error and/or recover data within sectors.]

-----

I tried (and failed) to point J.Pupster in Steve's direction, recommending Gibson's phenomenal SpinRite software first Possible HDD going bad-maybe? for resolving his HDD problems instead of going through all the time-consuming hoops.

Oh, well...maybe all it takes is seeing it in action.

00srGSD.gif

00srRTA.gif

00srDTL.gif
Sure, thanks for the info; but I did want a back-up cloned drive in case of total drive failure. I believe @jimfisheye recently had a newer WD drive go bad on him; you just never know.

Back