Power amp purchase

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks, look at this McIntosh monoblock. It's so big that it is rated in kilowatts. :eek:

View attachment 90665
This reminded me of an article in '87 Audio Magazine where they used a Mark Levinson amp to arc weld two pieces of metal together. Yes, really:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/80s/Audio-1987-08.pdf
Pg 67
Take note this was only a 100 Watt mono amp & somehow they actually used two of these amps to do the trick. The most interesting part of this test was the plasma arc also made a great plasma speaker & hearing protection needed to be worn!!

I'm thinking this McIntosh amp could do this using only one amp.

Oh also lots of good stuff to read in that issue including an excellent article on LEDE acoustics.

This reminded me of an article in '87 Audio Magazine where they used a Mark Levinson amp to arc weld two pieces of metal together. Yes, really:

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/80s/Audio-1987-08.pdf
Pg 67
Take note this was only a 100 Watt mono amp & somehow they actually used two of these amps to do the trick. The most interesting part of this test was the plasma arc also made a great plasma speaker & hearing protection needed to be worn!!

I'm thinking this McIntosh amp could do this using only one amp.

Oh also lots of good stuff to read in that issue including an excellent article on LEDE acoustics.
Another painful reminder of what good audio journalism is like.

• If you’ve purchased something made in Franklin, TN, your unit is being hand-built as we speak.
Hell yes! This unit is being made in Franklin, Tennessee...kinda cool it's being built on demand.

Been seeing their ads, never noticed point of origin - as like <10 miles from my house!

I have an XPA 5 series 2. It's a beast. Bigger and significantly heavier than a series 3. The difference is due to the power supplies. Series 2 is a linear supply. Series 3 is a switching supply. I'm very happy with it as I am with the rest of my emo gear. I also use a BasX A5 for heights.

I have an XPA 5 series 2. It's a beast. Bigger and significantly heavier than a series 3. The difference is due to the power supplies. Series 2 is a linear supply. Series 3 is a switching supply. I'm very happy with it as I am with the rest of my emo gear. I also use a BasX A5 for heights.
The Gen 2 is heavier than Gen 3? Damn. Gen 3 is 46 pounds.

I have an Emotiva UPA-7 amplifier. This was one of the amps that started it all for Emotiva and I've been using it almost daily for 13 years.

At 65 pounds it sits at the bottom of the AV rack, it's a real beast.

I'll soon be setting up a quad system in a very small room, and am considering a Emotiva BASX A-4 for the power amp (100 WPC; appx $550). Any opinions on the quality of this amp?

While I don't have it, I debated it. It's rated at 100 watts at all 5 channels driven, which is great. Much better than mass produced AVR's who can only achieve 100 watts x 2 channels driven. Much less with all channels driven.

What will be your Pre-pro? Or, you have an AVR- with pre-outs?

While I don't have it, I debated it. It's rated at 100 watts at all 5 channels driven, which is great. Much better than mass produced AVR's who can only achieve 100 watts x 2 channels driven. Much less with all channels driven.

What will be your Pre-pro? Or, you have an AVR- with pre-outs?
Good questions. And also to @jsrstereo it would be good to know what speakers it will be driving. As has been mentioned earlier some are very efficient & others not so much and you might need more ooomph to drive those.

Edit: Also to John R... there's a place in your profile called About where you can list your equipment. Sometimes that comes in handy if your asking for assistance or opinions and others can see what your set up is.

Last edited:
Back