Power Switch: Sony SQD-2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got sound! Thank you!

I have two options that seem to work. Skipping the turntable to the amp and the amp 2CH TAPE out to 2020 for now, I have two options for the 4CH outs on the SQD-2020 to the amp (also, I have a choice of high/low rear outs on the 2020). I can then go to 4CH TAPE in, or I can go straight to a 4CH AUX in. I'm doing the latter now, as there is a difference in settings per the amp manual snippet I posted. I only had a few minutes to test (during lunch), but I do hear either some drop outs our warbling(?) in the rear channels ... need to figure out what that is. Also, some noisy pots on the 2020 .. have some contact cleaner around here somewhere ....

Glad things worked out. I think @The Bushmaster had some good advice.

I only had a few minutes to test (during lunch), but I do hear either some drop outs our warbling(?) in the rear channels ... need to figure out what that is.
You can read much discussion about SQ Logic assisted decoders having what's refereed to as "pumping". The separation on a simple basic SQ decoder is very poor seperation front/back. Logic enhancement means gain riding of the audio to decrease cross talk. In other words say you have a strong center front vocalist then the level of the rear chs is simply reduced a bit while the front chs is increased a bit. This operation is supposed to be complimentary but you must have the output levels balanced properly so artifacts are masked. If your comment was made listening only to the rear chs, yup, it's gonna sound strange.

Of course there's always the chance that the decoder has drifted over time and does need to be adjusted. I'm sure some further investigation on your part will get this sorted out.

Last edited:
As far as the high/low outputs are concerned. In most cases use the "low" outputs. The high outputs are for amps that need 2 volts input where as most present (1960s to the present) use 500 millivolts.

Now let's get the 4DD-5 into the system. First transfer the phono leads from your turntable to the "phono" inputs on the back of the 4DD-5. Use another jumper from the output next to the "phono" inputs and run it to the "phono" inputs of the amp (switch the 4DD-5 to the "2 ch" position and off). The "monitor" switch on the 2020 should be all the way down. Connect the four channel outputs (discrete) of the 4DD-5 to the four channel inputs (discrete) of the 2020. Connect the four channel outputs (discrete) of the 2020 to the four channel inputs (discrete) of your amp. Now for CD4 playback. The "Discrete button should be pushed in on the 2020 and the 4DD-5 should be set to "4 ch Auto". If you wish to bypass the 2020, just run the four channel outputs of the 4DD-5 to the amp's four channel inputs (discrete). Leave the 2020 off. You won't need it unless you want the four VU meters to move.

Remember when ever the 2020 is on in the system it controls the volume. Set your amps volume to around 50% (some adjustments may be needed to the amps volume control).

Oops... Error...Error corrected.

Last edited:
Well, @Sonik Wiz apologies for the untimely reply. I noticed quad forum digest emails slowed down, but not that gmail was pushing them to spam. Got that sorted.

Nirvana? Here's the thing:

- Playing a CD-4 record straight to the JVC decoder to the JVC amp is pretty much dialed in (no Sony in the chain). The more records I get my hands on, the more I *think* I might be hearing that "sandpaper" thing in some spots on some records ... I've read about this thing on this forum, but reading ain't the same as hearing.
- Playing CD-4 through the Sony direct seems to lower both the volume and the detail of the audio. I don't know why this is.
- Playing an SQ or an ABC Command Quad sounds pretty darn good as hooked up like @The Bushmaster recommended (always grateful to you sir!). I still have to turn the volume up a little though.

Overall, I'm happy and still on this journey. Is there a Nirvana in this? I'm not sure, but it's damn cool to listen to a 50 year old piece of physical media as closely as it was intended to be heard all these years later. My ears are thankful.

Best!

--Michael

Back