Preservation Hall Jazz Band, New Orleans, Vol. I in SQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquadad

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi Guys & Gals,
According to the listing for the Preservation Hall Jazz Band at this link: http://members.cox.net/surround/quaddisc/quadpp.htm this title was purportedly only done in SQ. Can anyone out there elaborate as to the certainty of this? I have a copy of this on CD that I'm listening to as I type and it does sound quad. It's ambient in the rears that at times is discrete, probably due to a combination of microphone placement in front of these seven guys and the acoustics of the room (the Hall).

Anyway I thought it would be nice of CBS to release this as a DVD-A / DVD-V/ CD package in hi-rez to raise money for the relief efforts.:) If any of you out there are aligned with the powers that be, GET ON IT! Please, and I'll be the first in line to get a copy.

Was one of the last Columbia SQ's. Single inventory with a small SQ logo on the back.

There was no Q8, so it's tough to say just how discrete it is. Even with my Tate, it never grabbed my attention as a surround release.

The SQ, as noted, was a single inventory CBS. I have it and have run it through my Space and Image COmposer (Tate). It is clear from the display and my ears (!) that it is surround, not simply ambience. As was the typical pattern for CBS in those days, where even classical was done in the round rather than hall effect, this disc has the impression of all the instruments in the same room while recording, but with each one having its own mic. In short, you hear all the others as a sort of hall effect, but with surround as well. I have some CBS classicals of the same period that are the same. I would guess that the CD is SQ also as there was no 2 channel release, although I have never heard it.
Marc

Marcsten said:
I have it and have run it through my Space and Image COmposer (Tate). It is clear from the display and my ears (!) that it is surround, not simply ambience. As was the typical pattern for CBS in those days, where even classical was done in the round rather than hall effect, this disc has the impression of all the instruments in the same room while recording, but with each one having its own mic. In short, you hear all the others as a sort of hall effect, but with surround as well. I would guess that the CD is SQ also as there was no 2 channel release, although I have never heard it.
Marc

Hello Marc,
You are exactly right in your description of how the sound comes across. I was rather vague in my description but you nailed it. I use a poor mans Tate (a NuReality VHT-200, SRS 3-D Stereo synthesizer) to fatten up the phase relationships for the Variomatrix to feast on and it loves it. In fact, try this if you can. Instead of playing this back in SQ mode play it back in surround synthesizer mode, provided you have A Sansui QRX-_ 001 receiver. I should have checked your profile before I started typing. Anyway my point is that the synthesizer mode produces a much more dynamic & disrete sound than the actual SQ mode for this particular recording.

I would also like to add that the CD is in fact unmarked quad as your description is exactly how I hear it too! In my original inquiry I was trying to ascertain whether or not the vinyl was ever marked in SQ quad. After my original post I was able to answer my own question. I ran across a vinyl copy in the bins at my local used record store here in Escondido and sure enough there was the logo right there on the cover. Mystery solved. The shopowner had the record in the jazz section. Even though he does have a quad section this one slipped under his radar. He also had a copy of Vol. II which came out five years later that was clearly not marked as quad. I guess that between 1977 and 1982 quad had officially gone underground.

I've never been to New Orleans, but when I crank this CD up and sit in the sweet spot, I'M THERE!!!! Hold that tiger! Hold that tiger!:banana:

14 years since those posts, but I'm listening to this LP in SQ and the trombone is in the right rear channel. The clarinet is also in the rears, I think center rear.

Last edited:
I find this record very strange indeed, I have this record on both LP and CD.
The LP version is almost all in the rears with a lot of stuff in center rear and little up in the fronts, Its a rather strange listening experience, interesting but I'm not sure its a good thing.
The CD is not only a COMPLETELY different mix, it is not even the same recording or even performance, the track lengths are different, the timings and tempo are different, it sounds like the band made multiple takes and they used a different take for the CD. The CD is clearly SQ encoding however its the opposite on the LP version being mostly in the front with some stuff in the rear, a much more traditional mix.

But WHY??? I can only speculate.

LP - M 34549
CD - MK 34549
Decoding - Auroran SQ Script.

Back