HiRez Poll Presley, Elvis - 30 #1 HITS [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Elvis Presley - 30 #1 HITS

• Total voters
A curiosity yes but I have seen as many complaints for this disc because it plays automatically when you puty it in you player and that there is no screen.

These are probably the same people who complain they need a monitor to play DVDAs

A very generous "6".

This marks one of the biggest letdowns for me of classic material by a legend of the music world in 5.1.
Well, pseudo-5.1.

I think I've played it twice, maybe three times in all these years.. A head-shaking, how/why/what were they thinking experience.

3 just for Elvis, 1 cos it's a DVDA (no menus tho or I'd give it a 2 for being a proper DVDA!).. 1 cos theres some surround moments that partially redeem it and 1 cos it was cheap and readily available!

There's plenty of used ones around including the one I dumped over at the local FYE.

A new level of disappointment. As the description says, a waste of plastic. As bad as the average Silverline release. :sick: Get the standard CD instead.

A new level of disappointment. As the description says, a waste of plastic. As bad as the average Silverline release. :sick: Get the standard CD instead.
Eric Records has been releasing a few Elvis songs in Digitally Enhanced Stereo from time to time. They are better than the mono-faked-into-surround-sound in much of this DVD-A package. However, my favorite Elvis Song, Suspicious Minds, is in true 5.1 on this set. So I had to have it.

I'm not an Elvis fan, but, as is often the case, I was tempted by a cheap price and the promise of some - any - surround.

I think this disc is unfairly maligned. Forget tracks 19-31. They are mono with lots of reverb. I can appreciate why that upsets people, but if they weren't on the disc, maybe people would notice what it does have.

There are 18 tracks - 50 mins - of surround on here. The first 6 or so are proper surround. Maybe not brilliant, but alright. 7-18 are of varying quality. I think they are 4, 3 or even 2 track originals which have been mixed/ upmixed/ manipulated so that you get something in at least one rear speaker most of the time. These are recordings from the early 60s, what can you expect?*

If you like Elvis and the price is right, expect 20 mins of good stuff, 30 mins of acceptable bonus and pretend the next 30 mins don't exist. As I say, I am not an Elvis fan but I am a surround fan and I am not disappointed.

[*Of course, these days you can expect something more. Those simple but mono recordings are prime targets for demixing.]

9. This DVD is primitive. Not even a menu. But damn, the king is in your room; I never heard a better sounding digital edition of these classics. The percussions in jailhouse rock remind me of those vintage 78 RPMs sound...

Back