Quad LP/Tape Poll Presley, Elvis: Aloha From Hawaii Via Satellite [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Aloha From Hawaii"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
The mix is easily an eleven...not a very inspired performance, but I don't know much about his music. Great song list. Glad I noticed this thread earlier and listened to it. I will listen a few more times before I vote. ...I actually remember when this came on the boob tube back in the day when I was very young. Didn't watch it then or since but will give the quad another few sessions.

By this point did anyone even *care* what Elvis performed in concert? Kinda like going to a Beatles show, it was for many fans about the sheer experience of seeing Elvis in the flesh. He was always a captivating guy, and if he did a few obvious classics during the gig, I'd bet 99% of the fans went home happy (I mean, what good would it have done to yell out "El! Mystery Train, Pleeeze..."

Really, though, this is a disc crying out for the visuals, because it's not that interesting a gig, and while the surround is pretty decent given the setting, a concert experience involves sound and vision, and without the latter, what I hear is a professional performance, a little passion now and again, but not much else.

ED :)

By this point did anyone even *care* what Elvis performed in concert? Kinda like going to a Beatles show, it was for many fans about the sheer experience of seeing Elvis in the flesh. He was always a captivating guy, and if he did a few obvious classics during the gig, I'd bet 99% of the fans went home happy (I mean, what good would it have done to yell out "El! Mystery Train, Pleeeze..."

Really, though, this is a disc crying out for the visuals, because it's not that interesting a gig, and while the surround is pretty decent given the setting, a concert experience involves sound and vision, and without the latter, what I hear is a professional performance, a little passion now and again, but not much else.

ED :)

I saw him in Vegas in 71 and I sure as hell cared what he sounded like. He sounded great. Elvis Presley.jpg

i LOVE that picture from Vegas in '71! What a RUSH! He does sound great on this release. And the mix is amazing--this is the way i want ALL of my live mixes to sound! Simply stellar--no question in my mind. The performance? I understand posters' complaints of a "going through the motions" show. And yet, . . . there are, for me, moments of inspiration in which Elvis lives up to the hype. I feel very fortunate to have some Presley in surround, especially a mix of this calibre. Part of me really wonders what some of his late-60s early-70s studio work might sound like (i'm specifically thinking of the one-two punch of From Elvis in Memphis / Back in Memphis). Until then, this one is a treat for me: 8

okay, now my personal Elvis musings (i put the review up front in order to honor the POLL thread--stop reading if that is your reason for peeping the POLL!). As others have noted, i am of an age and fall into the camp that saw Elvis as reduced to camp by the time i was interested in music. But there was a difference in my life: my aunt, whom i adored, absolutely ADORED Elvis. Out of respect for her, I withheld judgement, trusting her when she told me Elvis was the King, despite her rabid acceptance of what struck me as schmaltz. I was struck by the national mourning when Elvis died, so i finally checked out his early work--what a revelation! Another revelation hit when i listened to Public Enemy's "Fight the Power" lyrics--pendulum swing! And yet, my aunt was still around and still in love with Elvis and bed-ridden (just say no to the tobacco industry!), so on one visit, i brought her a cd:
The Memphis Record. Yet another revelation: i was able to see and hear Elvis through my aunt's enthusiasm. Recently (this pandemic has me confused about time--could have been a week ago, could have been a month!), i saw a broadcast of the show from which this Quad is taken on my PBS station as part of a fund-raising drive. Again, i watched through my aunt (who died several years ago), and had to find this release. I'm glad i did! Stay Surrounded, Comrades!

Last edited:
I hate to admit this, but what the hell: Even though I probably have 3 or 4 versions of the CD-4, and the quad double reel, I have never, in 25+ years, ever, ever, ever listened to this disc/tape. I am not an Elvis fan, I could never connect with him. When I was growing up, it was the Beatles, and Elvis was stupid movies and "In the Ghetto".

I never got into him, although I can appreciate his early "hits", this has always been on my "I'll play it one day" list.

Anyone else do the same?????
Me exactly. I have a close friend who lives in Nashville and I visited her last year. SHe's a huge Elvis friend and we drove to Memphis to visit Graceland. I liked him a lot more after that but I have to say, my time in Memphis was better at Sun records and other great landmarks. I have the CD 4 around somewhere and have never listened to it, although its been a long time since I went to the trouble to play CD 4s. So yeah, even after visiting Graceland (and seeing the planes!) I agree with you. I never got it.

Back