PREVIEW: Written and arranged in Quad from the start. XI: BLEED HERE NOW by ...and you will know us by the Trail of Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamranv

QQ Supporter
There are a couple of tracks out now before the full album release on July 15th. It's the 11th record by the band ...and you will know us by the Trail of Dead and if you're not familiar with them, back in 2002 the (in)famous website Pitchfork gave their album a 10 out of 10 review. This is one of only 11 albums in the history of the site to get a 10 of 10 and there is actually a great recent retrospective on the 20th anniversary of the album.

Back then I was working at Interscope Records in the "New Media" department which at the time pretty much meant the "miscellaneous" department, we primary focused on the web in the pre-youtube, google, facebook, pretty much anything era. Specifically for Trail of Dead, I was the person who handled their actual source tags & codes (I ran their website). Coincidentally, this is also about the same time that I also was making 5.1 DVD-Audio and SACDs with Beck and Nine Inch Nails among others...

The band and I all became fast friends and 20 years later, I got to work on a record with them on this record.
It's in QUARK/Regular Matrix Quadraphonic, like my others and also up in Atmos and Sony 360ra (maybe only in Europe for the Sony one... not sure).

Though I didn't officially "produce" this one, I had a good hand in making it what it is. My official credit is co-mastering engineer with my usual partner in crime Scott Sedillo at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

I'm very proud of this and one thing to be aware of is unlike most of the Atmos and other surround releases out there this was actually written and arranged in quad. There is lots of love and true immersive artistic intent on this album. It's quite unique.

I'll probably post again in July but in the meantime, I'd love your ears on it with your feedback.

More info here (with links to pre-order vinyl and digital listening)
Lyric Video here.

Attachments

• ANDYOUWILLKNOWUSBYTHETRAILOFDEAD_XIBLEEDHERENOW-3000x3000-RGB.jpg
    ANDYOUWILLKNOWUSBYTHETRAILOFDEAD_XIBLEEDHERENOW-3000x3000-RGB.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 57
There are a couple of tracks out now before the full album release on July 15th. It's the 11th record by the band ...and you will know us by the Trail of Dead and if you're not familiar with them, back in 2002 the (in)famous website Pitchfork gave their album a 10 out of 10 review. This is one of only 11 albums in the history of the site to get a 10 of 10 and there is actually a great recent retrospective on the 20th anniversary of the album.

Back then I was working at Interscope Records in the "New Media" department which at the time pretty much meant the "miscellaneous" department, we primary focused on the web in the pre-youtube, google, facebook, pretty much anything era. Specifically for Trail of Dead, I was the person who handled their actual source tags & codes (I ran their website). Coincidentally, this is also about the same time that I also was making 5.1 DVD-Audio and SACDs with Beck and Nine Inch Nails among others...

The band and I all became fast friends and 20 years later, I got to work on a record with them on this record.
It's in QUARK/Regular Matrix Quadraphonic, like my others and also up in Atmos and Sony 360ra (maybe only in Europe for the Sony one... not sure).

Though I didn't officially "produce" this one, I had a good hand in making it what it is. My official credit is co-mastering engineer with my usual partner in crime Scott Sedillo at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

I'm very proud of this and one thing to be aware of is unlike most of the Atmos and other surround releases out there this was actually written and arranged in quad. There is lots of love and true immersive artistic intent on this album. It's quite unique.

I'll probably post again in July but in the meantime, I'd love your ears on it with your feedback.

More info here (with links to pre-order vinyl and digital listening)
Lyric Video here.

Thanks for the tip, @kamranv. Very cool. (And I love the hat-tip to Suzanne Ciani.) Will there be a digital version available for purchase, or is it vinyl & streaming only?

This one is m
Thanks for the tip, @kamranv. Very cool. (And I love the hat-tip to Suzanne Ciani.) Will there be a digital version available for purchase, or is it vinyl & streaming only?
This one is out of my hands for distribution (Insideout/Sony in Europe and Dine Alone in the rest of the world) but I believe that there will be Streaming, Download (of some sort. not sure if multichannel... what store would you like it on? I can ask), Vinyl, CD and Blu-Ray (maybe only in Europe maybe both???).

This one is out of my hands for distribution (Insideout/Sony in Europe and Dine Alone in the rest of the world) but I believe that there will be Streaming, Download (of some sort. not sure if multichannel... what store would you like it on? I can ask), Vinyl, CD and Blu-Ray (maybe only in Europe maybe both???).

Speaking for myself, I'd buy a multichannel download (IAA?) or a Blu-Ray in a heartbeat. But I'll look forward to hearing it on Apple Music in the meantime.

This band sounds pretty cool! 🤘 Look forward to checking out the full album in July. Likewise would much prefer a lossless copy. Liking the old school 'QUADRAPHONIC' typeface on the videos... The second track - No Confidence has some great Deep Purple vibes, perfect for a morning rock out. :)

I loved the early ToD albums, especially Madonna and Source Tags & Codes, but have really lost touch completely. This is a good chance to re-connect.

I was also going to see them live in Bergen (NOR) back in 2001(?) but their trailer got stuck in the snow over the mountains. Really a great shame and one of the missed opportunities in life.

I loved the early ToD albums, especially Madonna and Source Tags & Codes, but have really lost touch completely. This is a good chance to re-connect.

I was also going to see them live in Bergen (NOR) back in 2001(?) but their trailer got stuck in the snow over the mountains. Really a great shame and one of the missed opportunities in life.

Hopefully they get back out there soon. Say hi to the Datarock boys out there. One of my favorites! ...and if you haven't heard of them yet, I saw a great new Norwegian band called Pom Poko at SXSW this year.

Reactions: SHB
I love Source Tags & Codes, it is a masterpiece. I've not really connected with anything else from them though. I'll look into this one.

Reactions: SHB
I'd heard of the band but never heard anything! Its really nice to hear some rock being released in surround/Quad. So I'd prefer it as a lossless download (via IAA?) or on Blu-ray. Loved the track, so the album on my to buy list.

Just to confirm is the LP/CD in matrixed Quad (QS/RM)? In which case my Involve SM2 will decode nicely - until I can get it lossless.

I'd heard of the band but never heard anything! Its really nice to hear some rock being released in surround/Quad. So I'd prefer it as a lossless download (via IAA?) or on Blu-ray. Loved the track, so the album on my to buy list.

Just to confirm is the LP/CD in matrixed Quad (QS/RM)? In which case my Involve SM2 will decode nicely - until I can get it lossless.

Yes the LP, CD, Streaming and all “stereo” delivery is matrixed. Your involve sm2 will make this sound its best!

as to Blu-ray, I hear that this is in the works too but I don’t know much more. It would a discrete, lossless quad blu-ray as the masters are 4channel.

The Tidal link is region locked to outside the USA so would need a non-USA member to check if it's Atmos, Sony 360, or stereo.

https://listen.tidal.com/album/223134819
Atmos is in the USA. It seems to be on Apple music. I don't have Tidal but it should be there too. I understand Tidal can be a little funny with how the list Atmos, like two versions of the music come up in a search... let me know any info/errors and I can let the band/label know.

Also, the band asked me share this with you all. It's not really something to share around but we figure if someone lands on this forum, then they can be trusted to be supportive on some level. Not sure how long it will stay up but...

Discrete quad of the 2 songs that are out.
No Confidence
Salt in Your Eyes

You all have golden ears, so let us know what you think. Also, they are starting to talk to film folks. Once you hear the whole record, you'll understand. Super filmic. I'm excited to hear these quad mixes in films one day!

Wow. Haven't listen to these guys in years. Just fell off my radar I suppose. Enjoyed both of these songs. Thanks for sharing. Nice surround. I agree, IAA is the place for multi channel downloads these days. I'll buy a download for sure.

This one is m

The UK’s Burning Shed has been our go-to store for surround sound for the last 15 odd years. They’re small but mighty…

Back