Primus and the Chocolate Factory in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I just started playing this and Wow!

This is beyond description but it is one of the most interesting surround mixes in recent memory. The video is a perfect add-on. And, it's also one of the best jobs of Dolby Digital mastering I've heard with only a hint of bass ringing in a few tracks.

Full review to follow once I've listened to this a few times (maybe tens of times). Primus and the Chocolate Factory in 5.1 is really really good!!

If there was justice in the world this would get the Grammy for surround release.

Andy

Last edited:
I was a little disappointed that the "box of chocolates" that arrived the other day was just a normal box of chocolates. They taste great, but I was really hoping for some fun chocolate bar labels like those shown in the visualizer, etc. Of course then I would have been tempted to never eat them.

This release is fantastic. I agree with others that for dolby digital, the fidelity is really good (no distorted cymbals!). The surround mix is adventurous and enveloping, and the videos are better (IMO) than the videos on Gentle Giant's "Power And The Glory" release... REALLY cool! The music is quirky, but as a huge fan of the original movie soundtrack, I love these versions (I think they'll really grow on me... l never liked Devo albums on first listen, but I grew to love them all! Primus has that same sort of effect on me). Highly recommended purchase (especially for the price!)

I echo sentiments I've read that these songs would have been perfect for the Tim Burton film.

This is a sonic treat. I highly recommend it. It isn't perfect, but it's cool and a lot of fun.

Anybody else hear quite a bit of hiss at the end of the Oompa Loompa songs?

I was a little disappointed that the "box of chocolates" that arrived the other day was just a normal box of chocolates. They taste great, but I was really hoping for some fun chocolate bar labels like those shown in the visualizer, etc. Of course then I would have been tempted to never eat them.

Oh man, can you imagine the marketing win it could have been if they announced there were 5 or 6 (what was the number from the book and movies?) golden tickets in the chocolates and the winners got something really cool?

Does Primus and the Chocolate Factory have a poll available? I've looked but my search did not find one.

I would enjoy voting a 10 for this release*.

Andy

* Despite wishing there had been a DTS 96/24 soundtrack initially.

Seeing as it took a while to get this from the States, I'm surprised to find myself the first QQ-er to b!tch about the packaging.. in and of itself it is a nice enough albeit no frills affair.. but the spindles/hubs that hold the discs inside the packaging were SO tight on my copy that I cracked the centre of the DVD getting it out (only a tiny fissure but its there..) and I really took my time to remove the disc gently and without using force..

...super super annoying.. another title I'll get on the 'puter super quick and be forgetting all about the disc.. which is a shame in view of the work that went into the onscreen visual content that I'll now forego and just have the SPECTACULAR surround audio on the hard drive minus the intense visuals..

I NEVER thought I'd say this (dyed in the wool physical disc lover that I am) but right now I wanna scream ROLL ON SURROUND DOWNLOADS ... :yikes

I'm sick of the lack of attention to detail in the way these things time and again are packaged specifically with regard to the method of holding ("protecting" ?? yeah right) the discs and so forth inside the packaging - its not even thoughtless, its mindless and I can only assume these things must be designed by people that never actually use these kinds of products themselves.

Like the new ABB/Idelwild 5.1 the mix on this one is so STUNNING you all but forget about the packaging gripes after a while.. but I just had to get that off my chest!

Just got mine and wow what a great album one must really sit down and play it load. It really reminded me mix wise like early 70's aggressive quad mixes with some center stuff chucked in just enough to keep it really interesting.
Dam I like this one with 2 caveats:

1) This album will never be a go to album for your next party
2) Be very careful with ingesting brain altering recreational products, the music and accompanying video may put you over the top

Mix: Perfect. Discrete plus panning. Lots going on. Not random but fairly kooky, as befits the music.

Music: Bit strange, but that is appropriate. Also, hits the cover version sweet spot of being good songs that are not exact copies but are still good versions. Only negative point is that as hard as they try, Semi-Wonderous Boat Ride is still not as menacing as the original version!

Sound: Ok, but definitely let down by being DD only. But more than listenable.

Summary: More than ever, one to audition before buying, you will know in 30 seconds if you will love or hate it. If you like the music, it's a really great mix.

Back