HiRez Poll Primus - SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Primus - SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2013 CD+Blu-Ray release from UME. (n):phones(y)

Primus Front 700.jpg
Primus Back 700.jpg

This was a blind buy for me.

I'm really liking the "Bass centric alernative funk metal" sound on this... :D

The first you think you notice when putting the disc on is the ship "creaking" in the rears...very cool.

Lots of discrete stuff in the rears and full on panning around the soundstage... a full on mix a-la The Flaming Lips...

If you like alernative music - then this is a must....

This was a blind buy for me.

I'm really liking the "Bass centric alernative funk metal" sound on this... :D

The first you think you notice when putting the disc on is the ship "creaking" in the rears...very cool.

Lots of discrete stuff in the rears and full on panning around the soundstage... a full on mix a-la The Flaming Lips...

If you like alernative music - then this is a must....

creaking ships in the rear!? :mad:@: they nicked that from the Ship Ahoy Quad..! :p :D :eek:

creaking ships in the rear!? :mad:@: they nicked that from the Ship Ahoy Quad..! :p :D :eek:

Yeah - it does sorta remind me... but thats the only bit....:D

They've taken some "samples" from "The Young Ones"... including Vyvyan shouting, "Shut up, you bastards!"....

Wow...this album is NUTS!!
The music, combined with the surround mix and the 4 visualizers make for a VERY unique listening experience.

I'm inclined on first listen to give this an '8' cause the music does tend to be repetitive and a bit wearing on the ears, however the surround mix and fidelity are FANTASTIC, and combine that with the visualizers and digipack packaging/excellent liner notes, it shows what can be done when the label and artists put their heads together to create a great 5.1 product for the mp3/Spotify dominated market.

If UMe offer more Primus 5.1 releases in the future, I'll definitely check them out.
Now if they can give us that 35th anniversary 5.1 mix of RUSH's "Hemispheres" that I'm hoping for... :rolleyes:

Wow. Can I give this an "Eleven"?

I admit that I have loved this album ever since I first heard it in the early 90s. There are not many albums from that time period that I still enjoy listening too (as my musical tastes have changed), but this is one of them. The music is so unique and bizarre, yet so catchy you can't get it out of your head.

I never thought this album was exceptionally good sounding, but this bluray sounds fantastic. The clarity is excellent. The highs are not too harsh, and the bass packs a punch without being boomy.

The best part is the 5.1 mix!! There is a lot of effects and sound samples in these songs, and the 5.1 mix really highlights them, placing them in a single rear channel, or panning the effect back between channels. Really well done. I wouldn't say the rears are overused either, because there are times when very little is happening in the rears. The rears are only used where it is appropriate. The center channel is used effectively too. Les Claypool uses many different "voices". At times, the center channel is used for his vocals, and at other times it is split between the front left and right, depending on the "voice" he is using. Les and Jason Mills are given 5.1 mixing credits. Who is "Jason Mills"? I don't know who the mastermind was behind these mixes, but I'd love to hear more!!

I really enjoyed the visualizer option too! It simply works for this style of music.

I haven't listened to the new stereo mix yet, and compared it to the original, but I plan to soon. Stereo isn't what this forum is about anyways....

Music 10, fidelity 10, Mix 10+!

Years back, when I completed my Pro Tools training at Pinewood they let you loose on a full 60 odd track surround session from the movie 'Master and Commander'. You got to fly the full size Icon desk with full range PMCs perfectly positioned. The scene started with the ship in the fog, the creaking hulk heaving around you, beautifully weighted, followed by full on surround destruction with splinters, planks, limbs and god knows what else flying into every corner. Surround bliss.

This disc gets a solid 8 but the 15 year old me clearly dug the music on a level I can't quite relate to now, even in surround.

Strange a band with 3 instruments and vocals manages to issue a high-rez 5.1 album when the format is on life support, but as evidenced by the press Primus did surrounding this release, this reissue is a labor of love. I'm a bit puzzled why the 5.1 mix is 24/48 and not 24/96 like the two channel, but this is made up for by the original video content. Strange they didn't bother to include the original videos to the singles though. I also thought the unique (non-immersive) approach to the 5.1 mix worked for this album.

Music: 8
Mix: 8

is anybody else having issues with their copy of this?

specifically packaging problems and firmware/playback related issues?

the cardboard spine on mine (new & sealed from Amazon UK) was crushed/creased, the external corners were a bit bashed up/dog-eared too (more overzealous shrinkwrapping!?) ...but the biggest hassle is a set of extreeeeeeemely tight spindles holding the disc hubs! I was worried I might crack/snap the discs getting them out! No amount of depressing the disc holders etc seemed to make any difference. I finally managed to coax the blu-ray out but by the time I had I was traumatised I couldn't relax and enjoy the bloody music!

oh and then (once I'd sat through a tedious amount of crap.. FBI Warning logo's, Universal Music logo's, Interscope logo's, little animated play-doh intro (like the music video) I tried to select the Dolby True HD stream and the disc crashed the machine!

i power-cycled the player and waited for all the stupid video content etc.. all was going ok.. but upon selecting a different visualizer, the damned disc made my BDP crash AGAIN.!!

I power-cycled the machine again.. and ejected the disc, very gingerly snapped it back into the packaging and put on a CD instead! Yes, they're little things but they all mount up.. TOTALLY FED UP :( :mad:

I experienced the same problems removing the discs from the package. I thought for sure I would break them, but they are much more resilient than I expected. Once they were removed the first time, they were much easier to remove the second time.

I had no playback issues on my BDP83se. What model were you using?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I experienced the same problems removing the discs from the package. I thought for sure I would break them, but they are much more resilient than I expected. Once they were removed the first time, they were much easier to remove the second time.

I had no playback issues on my BDP83se. What model were you using?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for the feedback SMS (y)

hopefully the disc will come out of the discholder easier when I've cooled down to give it another try! :eek:

I've only tried it on my Cambridge Audio (Azur 651BD.. essentially an Oppo BDP-93) so far, if problems persist I'll give it a go on something else.

I've had a chance to listen to this a few times now and I think there is a lot to experience with this package. I played this at a music theme party this last weekend and folks were blown away by the mix and the visualizations. The only thing that keeps me from giving this a ten is that my personal tastes in music lead me to best enjoy Primus in small doses.

the cardboard spine on mine (new & sealed from Amazon UK) was crushed/creased, the external corners were a bit bashed up/dog-eared too (more overzealous shrinkwrapping!?) ...but the biggest hassle is a set of extreeeeeeemely tight spindles holding the disc hubs! I was worried I might crack/snap the discs getting them out! No amount of depressing the disc holders etc seemed to make any difference. I finally managed to coax the blu-ray out but by the time I had I was traumatised I couldn't relax and enjoy the bloody music!

oh and then (once I'd sat through a tedious amount of crap.. FBI Warning logo's, Universal Music logo's, Interscope logo's, little animated play-doh intro (like the music video) I tried to select the Dolby True HD stream and the disc crashed the machine!

i power-cycled the player and waited for all the stupid video content etc.. all was going ok.. but upon selecting a different visualizer, the damned disc made my BDP crash AGAIN.!!

I power-cycled the machine again.. and ejected the disc, very gingerly snapped it back into the packaging and put on a CD instead! Yes, they're little things but they all mount up.. TOTALLY FED UP :( :mad:

Agree way too much fluff before the disc proper starts, only had a quick chance to skim the disc it sounded great and i hot swapped nicely between LPCM and DTS HD without any issues. Also messed around with the visualizers a function that seemed to work though a touch laggy at times changing if you swapped too quickly. LG Blu Ray BTW

Last edited:

Hi Adam, did your CA freezed? When I put my disc in the Oppo it went to the topmenu, after all the logos and stuff. When I hit play, it defaults to DTHD. With the audio button I can toggle to PCM stereo and 5.1.

In the set up menu I can also select one of the three streams but have to wait until the music is done, then the menu with the play option is back again. Hitting play will start the selected stream. I have not yet figured out a more user friendly way.

Hi Adam, did your CA freezed? When I put my disc in the Oppo it went to the topmenu, after all the logos and stuff. When I hit play, it defaults to DTHD. With the audio button I can toggle to PCM stereo and 5.1.

In the set up menu I can also select one of the three streams but have to wait until the music is done, then the menu with the play option is back again. Hitting play will start the selected stream. I have not yet figured out a more user friendly way.

heya Robert, the CA froze up twice as I mentioned but I've not played it again since to see if its a persistent thing. it's just frustrating there's still no standard for these discs to go right in and play the music! why all those dreaded logo's etc. on what is essentially an audio-only disc? it's just mindless! (yes I know there's a "visualiser" but still its not a concert video or anything).

has anybody discovered an auto-play shortcut for this BD-A yet? (i'm talking along the lines of the Warner DVD-A's where you simply pop the disc on the tray, press play and away you go straight to the music).

Just tried the skip button on each of the logos and it worked so that spead up booting up the disc.

Enjoying the whole immersive experience with this disc. quite an active sound field the visulisers are fun flicking between each depending on song. some seem to work with music better than others, have to listen a couple more times but as an introduction to the band i like it.

Not a wife friendly experiance though she hates it shame as I qite like it.

Plays fine on my Cambridge Audio 752, Adam (after I got it out of the holder!) Intro screens are very annoying. The fidelity and surround mix are superb, though it's going to take me a while to decide if I like the music or not :yikes

Just tried the skip button on each of the logos and it worked so that spead up booting up the disc.

Enjoying the whole immersive experience with this disc. quite an active sound field the visulisers are fun flicking between each depending on song. some seem to work with music better than others, have to listen a couple more times but as an introduction to the band i like it.

Not a wife friendly experiance though she hates it shame as I qite like it.

ah-ha! so the track skip button gets through all those daft logos! brilliant! Thank you! (y) I'll try it tonight.

Back