Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese to be released in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's strange. The TrueHD track doesn't even seem to play surround information. The LPCM track sounds reasonably good. I think the left channel has lower volume. Some theorized it's the LFE track, but it seems to be the left front track in terms of stereo effects; it's just too low in volume for some reason and yet many vocals are centered just fine for whatever reason (surround channels sound normal to my ears). There's no center "effects" channel, but I'm not sure that's supposed to be there on the US version either as that's just a bizarre use of that channel. The two channel track seems fine. I guess I should send it back anyway, although I don't know how I could ensure I get a good version if I return it. Might just have to call this one a dud. The music isn't quite my cup of tea (I liked the Brown album better).

I didn't get to fully test out the whole album, though as I was busy setting up my new laser/light show generator that projects clouds and stars on the ceiling of the home theater (had to mask it off a bit so things didn't end up on the side or front walls, but it looks pretty darn sweet now like I'm outdoors under some freaky moonlit sky with clouds blocking the moon and stars everywhere twinkling. :D

You should actually hear the correct version before commenting on the center channel.

You should actually hear the correct version before commenting on the center channel.

I didn't realize I was commenting on its content, just giving my honest impressions about how a proper center channel is utilized for its only function, which is to anchor the center area for off-axis listeners. That's its function whether used for music or movies. I don't have to hear what they put in it to know that's what it's meant to do. Using it for effects but leaving vocals to pull to the nearest front speaker if I don't sit in the center defeats the entire point of having a center channel speaker. One might as well just do quad if one is not going to use it correctly. Sitting in the center one cannot tell center effects from the main channels anyway (unless said speaker blends so poorly with the mains that it makes itself obvious).

But I'll gladly leave the thread so my comments don't bother you here anymore as there's not much else to say about a defective disc regardless.

I returned the first copy I received as it was the dreaded and porked EU version. I requested a replacement and it arrived today. Another EU version based on the back cover and the barcode. Wonder if I should unwrap it and give it a spin or just outright return it?

I didn't realize I was commenting on its content, just giving my honest impressions about how a proper center channel is utilized for its only function, which is to anchor the center area for off-axis listeners. That's its function whether used for music or movies. I don't have to hear what they put in it to know that's what it's meant to do. Using it for effects but leaving vocals to pull to the nearest front speaker if I don't sit in the center defeats the entire point of having a center channel speaker. One might as well just do quad if one is not going to use it correctly. Sitting in the center one cannot tell center effects from the main channels anyway (unless said speaker blends so poorly with the mains that it makes itself obvious).

But I'll gladly leave the thread so my comments don't bother you here anymore as there's not much else to say about a defective disc regardless.

Well maybe someday you will hear the mix as intended and form a different opinion. If you think only one formula works for every mix and every genre, then you would be mistaken.

I returned the first copy I received as it was the dreaded and porked EU version. I requested a replacement and it arrived today. Another EU version based on the back cover and the barcode. Wonder if I should unwrap it and give it a spin or just outright return it?
Mine was from Germany and it is a correct version.

Well maybe someday you will hear the mix as intended and form a different opinion. If you think only one formula works for every mix and every genre, then you would be mistaken.

It has literally nothing to do with a formula. The center channel speaker is not a framework (unique location) speaker. It is readily phantom imaged between the left and right main speakers. It is an anchor speaker only. You can turn off your center channel speaker in literally every AVR out there and get the exact same presentation with or without it from the MLP.

That is assuming your center matches your mains instead of being a compromised horizontally orientated speaker, in which case you ARE better off turning it off all the time except when you have a guest sitting off center as a courtesy to them).

The sole purpose of the center channel speaker is to anchor the image (usually, but not necessarily dialog) for off-axis listeners. It serves no other function for the on-axis listener as matched front L/C/R speakers will sound identical with or without it in discrete mixes.

Whatever content is being put in the center might as well just be in the main channels if they're not going to use it consistently as being an mage anchor is what it's designed to do. Putting vocals in the mains (that will pull to the nearest speaker when sitting off center) defeats its purpose while leaving far less important sounds (in terms of placement) there makes no logistical sense whatsoever.

It's not a question of creativity, but absolute incompetence on the mixing engineer's part. Combined with the inexcusable quality control problem that resorted in the EU plant copies having their channels fuxored, I'd call this an unmitigated disaster of a release.

As for getting to hear how it's meant to sound, that seems unlikely given the same source continues to ship defective copies. I'm not willing to play ping-pong to get it. I have half a mind to download the correct mix from an unscrupulous locale and just keep the discs. It'd be far less a hassle.

It has literally nothing to do with a formula. The center channel speaker is not a framework (unique location) speaker. It is readily phantom imaged between the left and right main speakers. It is an anchor speaker only. You can turn off your center channel speaker in literally every AVR out there and get the exact same presentation with or without it from the MLP.

That is assuming your center matches your mains instead of being a compromised horizontally orientated speaker, in which case you ARE better off turning it off all the time except when you have a guest sitting off center as a courtesy to them).

The sole purpose of the center channel speaker is to anchor the image (usually, but not necessarily dialog) for off-axis listeners. It serves no other function for the on-axis listener as matched front L/C/R speakers will sound identical with or without it in discrete mixes.

Whatever content is being put in the center might as well just be in the main channels if they're not going to use it consistently as being an mage anchor is what it's designed to do. Putting vocals in the mains (that will pull to the nearest speaker when sitting off center) defeats its purpose while leaving far less important sounds (in terms of placement) there makes no logistical sense whatsoever.

It's not a question of creativity, but absolute incompetence on the mixing engineer's part. Combined with the inexcusable quality control problem that resorted in the EU plant copies having their channels fuxored, I'd call this an unmitigated disaster of a release.

As for getting to hear how it's meant to sound, that seems unlikely given the same source continues to ship defective copies. I'm not willing to play ping-pong to get it. I have half a mind to download the correct mix from an unscrupulous locale and just keep the discs. It'd be far less a hassle.

We can agree to disagree. I listened to this again yesterday, and the mix is much better than most multichannel rock mixes out there. Making up your mind so conclusively, without actually hearing the damn thing is silly.

Comparing this mix to another rock mix, Guns and Roses A.F.D., I would give it at least 2 notches better overall, and that album was mixed by a prominent mixing engineer. There is so much to like about this mix that getting so caught up on one aspect is ridiculous.

We can agree to disagree. I listened to this again yesterday, and the mix is much better than most multichannel rock mixes out there. Making up your mind so conclusively, without actually hearing the damn thing is silly.

Comparing this mix to another rock mix, Guns and Roses A.F.D., I would give it at least 2 notches better overall, and that album was mixed by a prominent mixing engineer. There is so much to like about this mix that getting so caught up on one aspect is ridiculous.

I was only referring to the use of the center channel, not the entire mix (which is better than many I've heard). I heard the correct version last night (borrowed), but I still couldn't tell the center from the mains sitting in the MLP as they image in the same place here (identical speakers across the front) regardless of whether the center is used or not.

I am curious about your comment - are you saying even the EU version has its own merits?
Hoping so...my copy from Amazon is arriving tomorrow and with my luck it will be the EU version 🙃
Thanks

It's seriously trippy sounding here. I'll give it that. It's like it's tipped to the right channel a bit in the front, but the surround effects are crazy (instead of solid left/right; they seem to move diagonally between the left surround and right front through the room at times. At least it seemed that way. The stereo tracks are fine on it.

It's seriously trippy sounding here. I'll give it that. It's like it's tipped to the right channel a bit in the front, but the surround effects are crazy (instead of solid left/right; they seem to move diagonally between the left surround and right front through the room at times. At least it seemed that way. The stereo tracks are fine on it.
Hmmm...trippy sounding is not necessarily a bad thing 🤪

Playing my EU version now
Barcode: 602537316656
Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese (2013, CD) | Discogs
Firstly...what a stupendous mix....completely wacky...or wacked out!! :D

The centre channel is not used all the time, intermittent use to emphasize different parts of the songs.

On the other versions, is the centre channel used all the time?

Even so, I'm not seeking an alternate version, as I'm more than happy with this one.

Mixed by Les Claypool & Jason Mills

Briefly listened to my second EU copy from Amazon US. Same as the first: totally fucked speaker channel imbalance that’s simply not listenable. Shame as I really wanted to hear this in full 5.1 glory, but this botched job ain’t gonna cut it.

Will return for refund and leave it at that.

I loved the Brown album (Shake Hands With Beef!) and some of Tales from the Punch Bowl (that rolling bass line in Wynona's Big Brown Beaver was something else), but this is one is really primal Primus! You almost have to be toasted yourself to enjoy the cheese properly. Ok, not almost.... totally toasted.

Not listenable? The 'correct' one isn't actually listenable either when you think about it. That's why it's Primus! Get your funky cheese ship flying high again. Ricky was a race car driver, shredding cheese as he went, heading out for the big one, just before Lent.... (that's how it went right?)

Primus got booed by many Rush fans when they opened up for them. I think it was the Roll The Bones tour. Some fans also booed the "rap" part of the song Roll The Bones. Primus Sucks! and they certainly aren't for everyone.
I grew up listening to Primus. Have every album, and adore every note I have ever heard from Les's magical bass guitar, even with The Claypool Lennon Delirium. He is probably my favorite bass player.

Took a chance on the recent Amazon offering and didn't get the dread barcode #0602etc., although some of the posts make me want to have both :devilish:.

Put it in my "must listen to at some point" pile . . . I find music to be like books -- you always need to have some you haven't read / heard yet for that rainy day. . . .

Back