Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese to be released in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I can't see how if you really like bass guitar you wouldn't enjoy this album to some extent. I'm not a Primus fan- this is the only one of theirs I have, though Chocolate factory is on the way- but I find Claypool's bass playing amazing. That alone could bring me lots of enjoyment, but I like the whole sound.

Interesting to see how I respond to the Chocolate, if it's that challenging. At least I won't have to overcome familiarity with the originals, since I never saw the movie.

Tales from the Punchbowl is the album I would recommend for non Primus fans that don't think they TOTALLY suck. Primus will always suck.

So your kids like Primus more than GOS!
Apparently so. And the Mrs already knew all the lyrics to all the tracks on Chocolate Factory. When she heard em, she couldant stop smiling. Its not the kind of album you reach for a lot, but you end up happy every time you do put it on.

Personally, I can't see how if you really like bass guitar you wouldn't enjoy this album to some extent. I'm not a Primus fan- this is the only one of theirs I have, though Chocolate factory is on the way- but I find Claypool's bass playing amazing. That alone could bring me lots of enjoyment, but I like the whole sound.

Interesting to see how I respond to the Chocolate, if it's that challenging. At least I won't have to overcome familiarity with the originals, since I never saw the movie.
HOnestly, if they would simply remove the vocals....then I might tolerate them.

Tales from the Punchbowl is the album I would recommend for non Primus fans that don't think they TOTALLY suck. Primus will always suck.

I'll put that next in my Primus queue. But Sailing and Chocolate are the only ones in surround, yes? I did read a little about the enhanced CD for Punchbowl. Any experience with that?

And Primus sucks must be some kind of in-joke for Primus fans; I see it in a bunch of reviews. Care to elaborate?

I actually saw them at a festival back in the 90s where we went to see Neil Young 1st and foremost, Blues Travelers 2nd. I really enjoyed Primus' show, but never followed up by looking into them. I guess they didn't quite suck enough...

HOnestly, if they would simply remove the vocals....then I might tolerate them.

I'm far from an expert, but I have the feeling the lyrics are very ironic and/or satirical. I find them very amusing. In a way similar to David Byrne's tongue-in-cheekiness. Doubt they belong in that class, but a similar type of vibe. All of this of course based on my extensive Primus experience with this 1 album!

Les is a specific character. Not everyone will like it. I think it's wonderfully surreal (yet folky in a twisted redneck sense). Punchbowl, Brown, and Pork Soda are probably my faves, but they're all a little different in ways I enjoy.

Anyway, glad to have an excuse to play this again (had only listened once when I got it years ago). It's a rocking mix! Left channel sounds fine on the first track, so I guess I'm good.

I did some more comparisons (glutton for punishment) between the screwed up EU disc and the correct version (which I have on FLAC audio only) and I got output in the same spots in the center channel on both versions. Comparing waveforms, it seems more like the left channel is the LFE channel on the bad one and the center channel is the left channel (i.e. center is playing constantly so when a center only moment occurs, it's apparently in the left channel mix as it's still there).

I don't know if there's a simple way to re-order those with FFMpeg or if Audacity can output multi-channel FLAC or not. If the LFE (left) could be moved to LFE and the center moved to LEFT, I think it would at least sound correct even if the center isn't used). MKVToolNix could remerge/remux it if it could.

I'm playing with it now....

Last edited:
I did some more comparisons (glutton for punishment) between the screwed up EU disc and the correct version (which I have on FLAC audio only) and I got output in the same spots in the center channel on both versions. Comparing waveforms, it seems more like the left channel is the LFE channel on the bad one and the center channel is the left channel (i.e. center is playing constantly so when a center only moment occurs, it's apparently in the left channel mix as it's still there).

I don't know if there's a simple way to re-order those with FFMpeg or if Audacity can output multi-channel FLAC or not. If the LFE (left) could be moved to LFE and the center moved to LEFT, I think it would at least sound correct even if the center isn't used). MKVToolNix could remerge/remux it if it could.

You can reorder with Audacity

See my post #161 that’s exactly what I’ve done and to me it sounds pretty good.

After some more testing, I know what happened to the center channel.... It got MERGED with the left channel and sits in the center channel position on the bad disc. So after reordering in Audacity (move center to left and left to LFE), it now plays correctly compared to the normal version except that the stuff that was supposed to come out of the center channel now comes out of the left channel since it was merged with the left channel somehow on the bad disc.... (shakes head). It still sounds much better overall since the center voice/effect stuff isn't used very much. I'd sure be curious to know exactly what happened in the mastering facility to screw the tracks up so badly (on two sets, no less as the PCM and TrueHD tracks are separate, but clearly made form the same screwup master track). Also the LFE channel appears to be at half volume looking at the waveforms (although bass management will move the main channel base to the LFE at full volume).

See my post #161 that’s exactly what I’ve done and to me it sounds pretty good.

How did you export it as multi-channel? I tried export to FLAC in Audacity and it said it would be downmixed to stereo.s

EDIT: OK, I found it. You have to change the setting in the preferences first before exporting....

Last edited:
All this mess reminds me the 6.0 surround system that David Chesky from Chesky records once proposed.
He proposed a different surround system with 6 full channels, without any low band LFE channel. And even released some discs with that surround system.
You can google for "Chesky 6.0" to find information about it.

This seems to be the case as the supposed Primus LFE channel have enough high frequency content.

The question would be then, not only how to reorganise the 5.1 channels, but how to listen to a full band channel that should be directed to a normal speaker channel rather than a subwoofer.

All this mess reminds me the 6.0 surround system that David Chesky from Chesky records once proposed.
He proposed a different surround system with 6 full channels, without any low band LFE channel. And even released some discs with that surround system.
You can google for "Chesky 6.0" to find information about it.

This seems to be the case as the supposed Primus LFE channel have enough high frequency content.

The question would be then, not only how to reorganise the 5.1 channels, but how to listen to a full band channel that should be directed to a normal speaker channel rather than a subwoofer.

No, the LFE channel is definitely bass only on both versions (listened to in Audacity). It's in the wrong position/channel in the EU version, but it's still just the bass.

No, the LFE channel is definitely bass only on both versions (listened to in Audacity). It's in the wrong position/channel in the EU version, but it's still just the bass.

Sure. I only looked briefly for some tracks in Audacity and the supposed LFE channel was indeed bass, but sounded like a cello in one song and like the kick drum in another. The Audacity spectrum shows enough content above 120 Hz, although with rolling down the frequencies. What surprised me is that that solo "LFE" channel sounds in Audacity almost like full instrument (cello or drum).

I'm not sure what kind of Primus MCH FLAC version I have.

MagnumX said:
How did you export it as multi-channel? I tried export to FLAC in Audacity and it said it would be downmixed to stereo.s

EDIT: OK, I found it. You have to change the setting in the preferences first before exporting....

Um yeah, I eventually found that as the "EDIT" part you quoted from my post above already indicated. :D

Meanwhile, back at the Ranch....

After I normalized the LFE track and moved the center to the left track and merged it back with MKVToolNix, all is well now except that center information comes out of the left channel since they were merged on the track on the disc (no simple way to separate it).

Oddly, the surround still sounds slightly different in head-to-head comparisons (It's a bit stronger sounding on the EU version pulling the entire soundstage out into the room a bit further in places). I'm not sure if that's due to a surround level difference or the overall mix is slightly different as well. The bass guitar was definitely further out into the room instead of flat across the front on "Eleven" for example despite the surround starting in the same place at the beginning of the track. It almost sounded like the front sound stage was partly in the surround channels to pull it out into the room like that a bit. I could hear a bit more going on to the sides as well. It's not night and day, but I would have thought they would be otherwise identical other than the track screwups.

And Primus sucks must be some kind of in-joke for Primus fans; I see it in a bunch of reviews. Care to elaborate?
There may be a more definite story out there, but I always thought it was an inside fan joke that started at the live shows. The crowd yells out "Primus sucks". The band would reply with a "Thank You". I think I read once that Claypool used to introduce the band as "We're Primus, and we suck"

Back