Prince And The Revolution "Live" 2CD/1BD set (NPG/Legacy) (6/3/2022)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5.1 4 Life

300 Club - QQ All-Star
James Brown had the Apollo. Jimi Hendrix had Monterey Pop. And Prince had Syracuse, New York’s Carrier Dome—the site of his March 30, 1985 Purple Rain Tour performance that was beamed to millions live via satellite and captured for posterity as a Grammy Award-nominated concert film. For the first time, this unforgettable performance by Prince and The Revolution has been entirely remixed by engineer Chris James from the original reels and remastered by Bernie Grundman, and converted to Blu-ray video with optional stereo, 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Atmos. .

Tracklist
[CD1]
1. Let's Go Crazy
2. Delirious
3. 1999
4. Little Red Corvette
5. Take Me With U
6. Yankee Doodle
7. Do Me, Baby
8. Irresistible Bitch
9. Possessed
10. How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
11. Let's Pretend We're Married
12. International Lover
13. God
14. Computer Blue

[CD2]
1. Darling Nikki
2. The Beautiful Ones
3. When Doves Cry
4. I Would Die 4 U
5. Baby I'm A Star
6. Purple Rain

[Blu-Ray]
1. Let's Go Crazy
2. Delirious
3. 1999
4. Little Red Corvette
5. Take Me With U
6. Do Me, Baby
7. Irresistible Bitch
8. Possessed
9. How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
10. Let's Pretend We're Married
11. International Lover
12. God (Love Theme From "Purple Rain")
13. Computer Blue
14. Darling Nikki
15. The Beautiful Ones
16. When Doves Cry
17. I Would Die 4 U
18. Baby I'm A Star
19. Purple Rain
20. Interlude (Yankee Doodle)

Amazon USA
Prince and the Revolution - Live (2 CD + Blu-ray) - Amazon.com Music

Amazon Canada
Available for pre-order soon:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09P5QPP1L/?tag=imwanca-20

Amazon UK
Live: Amazon.co.uk: CDs & Vinyl

1648630270627.png

This performance was previously available on DVD as part of the Purple Rain reissue from a few years back. (Also on VHS way back in the day). The camera work isn't great, even by mid-80's standards. The performance however is off the charts. Prince & the band are on fire. Watching the DVD I was really kicking myself for not having gone to see him back then. (I didn't get around to seeing him until 2013. And it was an amazing evening). Even though I have the Purple Rain reissue, I am probably going to have to spring for this as well. Hopefully the newly remixed audio will make it worth it.

This performance was previously available on DVD as part of the Purple Rain reissue from a few years back. (Also on VHS way back in the day). The camera work isn't great, even by mid-80's standards. The performance however is off the charts. Prince & the band are on fire. Watching the DVD I was really kicking myself for not having gone to see him back then. (I didn't get around to seeing him until 2013. And it was an amazing evening). Even though I have the Purple Rain reissue, I am probably going to have to spring for this as well. Hopefully the newly remixed audio will make it worth it.
I’m pretty sure you’ll have lots of time to decide; I’d bet this isn’t a “concord 1Day/2K hiccup”

@Snood is here❤

A bit of additional info about this set from The Prince Website:
For the first time, this powerful performance has been entirely enhanced and reconstructed: the original video source was rescanned, restored and color-corrected; and the original multitrack audio master reels have been remixed and remastered onto Blu-ray video with selectable stereo, 5.1 surround and Dolby Atmos sound. Prince’s late-career and Grammy-nominated recording engineer, Chris James, remixed the recently discovered source audio, which had remained archived in Prince’s legendary Paisley Park vault for over three decades.

The limited run Collector’s Edition is available exclusively from the Official Prince Store. Housed in a luxe foil box, the set includes the remixed and remastered audio pressed onto 3 colored 150g LPs (purple, red and gold vinyl), 2 CDs, the Blu-ray video, an expansive 44-page book complete with never-before-seen photos of the Purple Rain Tour, new liner notes highlighting stories and memories from all five members of The Revolution, and a 24 x 36 poster. The Collector’s Edition was designed by Grammy-nominated artist Mathieu Bitton and Grammy-nominated creative director and Prince associate Trevor Guy.

Pre-order info for the Collectors Edition-
Prince and The Revolution: Live -Collector’s Edition Box Set (3LP + 2CD + Blu-ray) | Shop the Prince Official Store

Reactions: GOS
Vocals are a bit on the muffled side but that's a nitpick—audience and reverb in the heights and rears but a decent three channel separation up front... I mean, it sounds a hell of lot better and is a lot more fun than the stereo DVD, at the very least. When this got announced earlier today I felt like I needed some jams from The Purple Yoda and threw on my rip of the blu-ray of Sign O' The Times (the movie) in "surround", and holy moly does that sound like garbage when you're just focusing on the music and there are no visuals!

Vocals are a bit on the muffled side but that's a nitpick—audience and reverb in the heights and rears but a decent three channel separation up front... I mean, it sounds a hell of lot better and is a lot more fun than the stereo DVD, at the very least. When this got announced earlier today I felt like I needed some jams from The Purple Yoda and threw on my rip of the blu-ray of Sign O' The Times (the movie) in "surround", and holy moly does that sound like garbage when you're just focusing on the music and there are no visuals!

And speaking of Sign O' The Times, it's Time for that Great concert movie to get the same treatment as this upcoming Live 1985 release (with complete sound & picture upgrade along with an Atmos & 5.1 mix).

Sign O' the Times (Blu-ray movie) is another example of great music & exhilarating performance torpedoed by a dismal so called 5.1 surround mix. This is one I would suggest think outta the box; play back as 2ch stereo & feed into your favorite upmixer/decoder. DPL II or the Surround Master (esp the latter) makes a huge upgrade in surround sound. I bet those with ATMOS have some good options too. Other titles like this that come to mind is Interstella 5555, Streets of Fire, Big Trouble in Little China, and many random shows on Netflix.

Sign O' the Times (Blu-ray movie) is another example of great music & exhilarating performance torpedoed by a dismal so called 5.1 surround mix. This is one I would suggest think outta the box; play back as 2ch stereo & feed into your favorite upmixer/decoder. DPL II or the Surround Master (esp the latter) makes a huge upgrade in surround sound. I bet those with ATMOS have some good options too. Other titles like this that come to mind is Interstella 5555, Streets of Fire, Big Trouble in Little China, and many random shows on Netflix.
I think SOTT so called 5.1/Auro 3D/ Atmos is a stereo upmix. It sounds like it to me.

Got a nice surprise that this order shipped today. Always good when something is not delayed for a later release. So I went poking around for pre-release reviews & the only thing worth passing on is this:

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainm...s-one-of-those-memories-ill-never-forget.html
Of note the article says:

"The video is still not 4K quality due to original footage limitations and some camera angles are not as improved as others, but the remastered audio will give you goosebumps. Fans can hear every layer of sound, from Prince’s squealing guitar and Bobby’s thumping percussion to the funky basslines and a frenzied crowd cheering “party!” during “1999."

So far so good even if no mention of surround sound. Very much looking forward to comparing notes here when we all get a chance to check it out.

Got a nice surprise that this order shipped today. Always good when something is not delayed for a later release. So I went poking around for pre-release reviews & the only thing worth passing on is this:

https://www.syracuse.com/entertainm...s-one-of-those-memories-ill-never-forget.html
Of note the article says:

"The video is still not 4K quality due to original footage limitations and some camera angles are not as improved as others, but the remastered audio will give you goosebumps. Fans can hear every layer of sound, from Prince’s squealing guitar and Bobby’s thumping percussion to the funky basslines and a frenzied crowd cheering “party!” during “1999."

So far so good even if no mention of surround sound. Very much looking forward to comparing notes here when we all get a chance to check it out.
I am not very optimistic for a good Surround mix of this SW 🤨, I still predict the typical live type audience in rear with some subtle front to rear ambience, but we shall see 🙏. Mine is also on the way, bought it for the video more so than the audio.

I am not very optimistic for a good Surround mix of this SW 🤨, I still predict the typical live type audience in rear with some subtle front to rear ambience, but we shall see 🙏. Mine is also on the way, bought it for the video more so than the audio.
Well Sir, there's always the Surround Master! But I guess for you it would be circuitous to do it that way. Have you seen this performance elsewhere?

So before popping this in, I took out the 2.0 DVD in the Purple Rain reissue from a few years back and watched the opening track, "Let's Go Crazy". Then I popped in the new version on Blu-ray. The sound and picture are improved, but I wouldn't say dramatically. I watched the first five songs. The performance is, of course, off the charts. The energy level is just insane. However, as far as a surround experience goes, don't get your hopes up. (I am only set up for 5.1 so I can't comment on the Atmos track). The rears are pretty much just crowd noise and ambience. There is also a lot of information in the center channel. Vocals, lead guitar, bass, drums and probably more are there.

Still looking forward to getting a chance to sit down and watch the whole thing. As I said earlier, the performance is amazing. So, while not a great surround experience, if you've never seen this show, it's still certainly worth owning.

A couple of Atmos tracks were available on Apple Music for weeks - and the entire album is now there in Atmos as today...

But honestly, it‘s a live album. Other than a few people here, most people think middle of the stage live surround mixes sound silly unless the music was presented that way.

Back