Prince Estate Signs Deal With Sony Music to Re-Release 35 Catalog Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
From Billboard:

The titles from 1978-2015 will be re-released via the Legacy Recordings imprint.

Prince's estate and Sony Music Entertainment announced on Wednesday (June 27) they have signed an exclusive distribution agreement that covers 35 of the iconic musician's previously released albums.

Under the new arrangement, the Prince catalog included in the deal will be distributed by Legacy Recordings. Worldwide rights begin immediately for Prince's album releases from 1995-2010, with the others following in years to come.

Among the titles included in the first phase are The Gold Experience (1995), Emancipation (1996), Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic (1999), The Rainbow Children (2001) and 3121 (2006), as well as Musicology (2004) and Planet Earth (2007), which were originally release via Sony through Columbia.

Additional album titles from the 2014-2015 era will also be distributed with worldwide rights under the deal in the future.

The deal also includes rights to other previously released singles, B-sides, remixes, non-album tracks, live recordings and music videos recorded before 1995.

Starting in 2021, Sony/Legacy's distribution rights grow to include 12 Prince non-soundtrack catalog albums from the 1978-1996 era for distribution in the United States. Titles under the agreement from this period include Prince (1979), Dirty Mind (1980), Controversy (1981), 1999 (1982), Around the World in a Day (1985), Sign 'O' the Times (1987), Lovesexy (1988), Diamonds and Pearls (1991) and [Love Symbol] (1992).

"A true artist and visionary, Prince changed the world with his music, bringing love, joy and inspiration to millions," said SME Commercial Music Group President Richard Story in a statement. "Sony Music is honored to play a part in keeping Prince's music alive and making it available for generations of lifelong listeners and future fans."

"The Sony team's enthusiasm and deep knowledge of Prince's music make them the ideal partner to release these iconic bodies of work," added Prince Estate entertainment adviser Troy Carter. "We're looking forward to working with the heirs and Sony on giving fans what they've been waiting for -- more great music from Prince."

=============================================================================================

I wish the Prince estate had signed with Universal or Warner instead. Of the three majors, Sony seems to be the one who releases the fewest surround titles. :( Hopefully Sony will do something interesting with the catalog.

From Billboard:

The titles from 1978-2015 will be re-released via the Legacy Recordings imprint.

Prince's estate and Sony Music Entertainment announced on Wednesday (June 27) they have signed an exclusive distribution agreement that covers 35 of the iconic musician's previously released albums.

Under the new arrangement, the Prince catalog included in the deal will be distributed by Legacy Recordings. Worldwide rights begin immediately for Prince's album releases from 1995-2010, with the others following in years to come.

Among the titles included in the first phase are The Gold Experience (1995), Emancipation (1996), Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic (1999), The Rainbow Children (2001) and 3121 (2006), as well as Musicology (2004) and Planet Earth (2007), which were originally release via Sony through Columbia.

Additional album titles from the 2014-2015 era will also be distributed with worldwide rights under the deal in the future.

The deal also includes rights to other previously released singles, B-sides, remixes, non-album tracks, live recordings and music videos recorded before 1995.

Starting in 2021, Sony/Legacy's distribution rights grow to include 12 Prince non-soundtrack catalog albums from the 1978-1996 era for distribution in the United States. Titles under the agreement from this period include Prince (1979), Dirty Mind (1980), Controversy (1981), 1999 (1982), Around the World in a Day (1985), Sign 'O' the Times (1987), Lovesexy (1988), Diamonds and Pearls (1991) and [Love Symbol] (1992).

"A true artist and visionary, Prince changed the world with his music, bringing love, joy and inspiration to millions," said SME Commercial Music Group President Richard Story in a statement. "Sony Music is honored to play a part in keeping Prince's music alive and making it available for generations of lifelong listeners and future fans."

"The Sony team's enthusiasm and deep knowledge of Prince's music make them the ideal partner to release these iconic bodies of work," added Prince Estate entertainment adviser Troy Carter. "We're looking forward to working with the heirs and Sony on giving fans what they've been waiting for -- more great music from Prince."

=============================================================================================

I wish the Prince estate had signed with Universal or Warner instead. Of the three majors, Sony seems to be the one who releases the fewest surround titles. :( Hopefully Sony will do something interesting with the catalog.

Here is one that will be released by Warner in September...

Taken from SuperDeluxeEdition.com's interview with Prince's vault archivist Michael Howe:

SDE: You’re obviously doing multi-track tapes as well. One question about the multi-track side of things… do you ever see any 5.1 surround versions of Prince’s studio albums being released?
MH:
This is a tough one for me to answer, because the decision wouldn’t be entirely mine. I’m certainly open to it, as I think my colleagues would be.

SDE: Because it’s reasonably common these days – perhaps more in prog rock circles – if you’ve got a multi-disc boxset to maybe put a blu-ray or a DVD in there and put a 5.1 mix, you know, as part of the overall offering…
MH:
Yes. I mean, there are guys obviously guys who do it very well, like Steven Wilson…

Last edited:
Taken from SuperDeluxeEdition.com's interview with Prince's vault archivist Michael Howe:

SDE: You’re obviously doing multi-track tapes as well. One question about the multi-track side of things… do you ever see any 5.1 surround versions of Prince’s studio albums being released?
MH:
This is a tough one for me to answer, because the decision wouldn’t be entirely mine. I’m certainly open to it, as I think my colleagues would be.

SDE: Because it’s reasonably common these days – perhaps more in prog rock circles – if you’ve got a multi-disc boxset to maybe put a blu-ray or a DVD in there and put a 5.1 mix, you know, as part of the overall offering…
MH:
Yes. I mean, there are guys obviously guys who do it very well, like Steven Wilson…
[/QUOTE]
Hasn't Steven been quoted as saying he would love to mix Prince in surround? That would be awesome...

And Steven had this to say in an SDE interview a while back:

SDE: Talking of your remix work, since you are now very busy with your own albums and touring does this mean you’ll be more selective going forward?
SW: I’m turning down more than I would have done, maybe two or three years ago. I just haven’t got the time.....but if the Prince estate rang me up....of course I would make the time.

Here's part of the problem with the Prince catalog (at least for this album, 3121 CD, which I really love BTW :( )

P-GOTB-5DR.jpg

P-GOTB-BRICK.jpg

Here's part of the problem with the Prince catalog (at least for this album, 3121 CD, which I really love BTW :( )

View attachment 53121
View attachment 53122

Ick. Try opening in AA 3. Normalize at -6db. Then use Pan/Expand to expand at 250. Then re-normalize at say -1dB. It would be very interesting to see what the DR is after that.

But as I always say DR is only one aspect of a recordings quality & often over fixated on.

Ick. Try opening in AA 3. Normalize at -6db. Then use Pan/Expand to expand at 250. Then re-normalize at say -1dB. It would be very interesting to see what the DR is after that.

But as I always say DR is only one aspect of a recordings quality & often over fixated on.
Well it definitely sounds LOUD to me :mad:

Here ya go SW, followed your order to a T- it did help, just need to listen and see how it actually sounds though.

P-GOTB-AA3-PS250.jpg

Back