DTS-CD Problems playing and ripping a DTS-CD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is all rather weird and slightly irksome..

I'm going thru my backup drive and in March last year I ripped a bunch of my DTS CDs (checked through now and these are all a-ok.. Freddie Ravel, David Benoit, Dave Grusin, Herb Alpert, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Edgar Winter, 3 of the Mystic Moods, the 2 x Moody Blues Quad>DTS CDs, 2 x Ohio Players, Steve Miller, 2 x Wings, Stephen Stills, Police, Marvin Gaye, Clapton/TOIEC Quad>DTS, Beck Bogert Appice, Lyle Lovett) they playback thru VLC on the Mac via HDMI out to the AVR, all perfectamundo 5.1 (and Quad albeit in 5.1).

... however, I am now tearing my hair out trying to rip this Sting DTS disc to try and help audioguy in his plight.. which I evidently did not rip last year.. hmmm.. but worse still I'm flummoxed as I cannot even repeat the ripping process with ANY of these DTS discs with any audio converter software I have to hand!

Believe me whatever I did then would have been child's play (I don't have the patience or wherewithal for anything complex!).. no idea how or what I used last year (XLD? that doesn't work now if that is what I used before.. :eek: ) ...so far nothing seems to do the trick, all I get is the ear bleedin' static every bleedin' time.

I was so sure it was something "like" DVDAE.. I now realise it clearly wasn't DVDAE.. but I have a recollection of whatever POS (piece of software as opposed to piece of shit) I used batch converted the AIFF's into WAVs -- WAVs being the files I can playback now in surround on the Mac to my dicky ticker's content!

Tbh, I don't actually want to rip any more DTS CDs than those I already did last March (sorry to all Sting, Don Henley, Joe Cocker, Olivia Neutron-Bomb and err.. Zoe..? lovers in this thread) but I'm not in the mood for any of that lot at the mo and clearly wasn't March '15 :eek: ) but I'd like the option to rip him and any of the other DTS CDs I didn't do already down the line.. just bizarre. Umm.. HELP? :yikes
Thx.

I assume your home AVR doesn't decode them either...

Sorry for my poor explanation. Living Room: HTPC's HDMI output to Oppo's HDMI input. Oppo's 5.1 analog outputs directly go to multi-channel amp. There is no other pre-amp/processor or AVR. The Oppo is my DAC and feeds directly to the amp. The Oppo 105 has digital volume control and I have no other analog sources, so don't need a pre-amp.

DTS-->DTSWAV is only minor filesize increase (because of the added wav wrapper data). FLAC itself doesn't increase the filesize and neither step affects sound quality. Tagging the FLAC file will make another tiny increase in filesize, unless you like to add huge artwork as metadata.

I didn't know that. In the past, I had gotten much larger files from converting DTS to FLAC. Not sure why. Actually a major benefit of FLAC is metadata.

Can you post a single ripped track somewhere for inspection?

Sure, here is track 3 in WAV (used EAC):

http://www.audioguy.com/Track03.wav (right click and save)

fredblue, misery loves company. You just made my day! Over the past 2 decades, there have been so many different software and revisions, that I'm all mixed up in my head as well. I had ripped some DTS-CD's in the past too, but just don't remember what I used or how I did it. I'm thinking maybe it's my computer's optical drive? Heck, anything is possible at this point.

But I appreciate your post!

I think what you are dealing with is that that particular Sting dts CD was done in the "Open Bitrate" format, and tools have always had problems with that as referenced in this old thread... http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=109206 I don't think DTSParser.exe was ever updated to handle it.

I have that CD also and get the same sped up playback from foobar. Good luck and let us know if you find a solution!

Cheezmo, thank you so much for your input. I checked out those links and things are more complex than I had imagined (or had anticipated studying). I'll keep this thread updated if I find any solutions. Thanks for the guidance!

I am stuck trying to convert ripped DTS cd files (saved as FLAC) to a playable DTS recognized format.

Focussing on post #16- how do I remove the existing DTS plug-in and replace with a newer version (and potentially the SPDIF and wasapi plugins).

Thanks!

I don't own any DTS CD so don't know if this will work for you, but for Blu-ray I use MakeMKV to pull every thing off the media by chapter. Once I have those I use ffmpeg to extract each stream. It keeps the channels, bit and sample rate intact. The only thing to watch is for DST-HD to add the -acodec copy to the command. I was using DVDAE for all my DVD-A rips but once I started buying all the Steve Wilson remixes on Blu-ray it let me down. MakeMKV, ffmpeg and perl to the rescure ... all free. I also use sox to downsample to 44kHz if I am going to put tracks on my phone. I am happy to share the command syntax and examples if someone wants to take a run at testing it on DTS CD.

I find myself dealing with DTS-CDs rather often as I have one of the Acura models that can play them.

If you're trying to convert to DTS-CD from any PCM-based disc format (DVD-A, DVD-V, Blu-Ray), DVD-Audio Extractor is your friend. Totally worth the $35. Just remember Blu-Rays have to be decrypted first (via MakeMKV) and it will not output a 4.0 stream to DTS-CD- you need to add an empty C/LFE for that to work. I wish they would fix that issue in a future update...it was quite a project having to add empty C/LFE channels in audacity to every song in the Chicago Quadio box.

DVDAE outputs a DTSWAV file, which contains the entire album in a gapless chunk, and a .CUE file, which contains the track split locations and CDTEXT labels. The CUE sheet is what you want to burn to a CD-R (I generally use ImgBurn for this), but you can alter the split locations or tags in notepad before you burn the disc.

If you want to break up the DTSWAV into separate track files (like if you want to make a hits comp or sampler or something), rename the DTSWAV extension to .WAV, do the same thing in notepad in the CUE sheet, and use the "split wav by cue sheet" feature in Exact Audio Copy. That will break up the big chunk into individual .wav files based on the track split info in the CUE Sheet. You can then arrange your individuals wavs into a new CUE Sheet in ImgBurn and burn to CD-R.

For ripping professional DTS discs from Miller Nevada or DTS Entertainment, I generally use Exact Audio Copy. On my NAS I have copies of all my surround music in both FLAC (for pc playback) and DTSWAV (for any future car discs).

Hope this helps...

it will not output a 4.0 stream to DTS-CD- you need to add an empty C/LFE for that to work. I wish they would fix that issue in a future update...it was quite a project having to add empty C/LFE channels in audacity to every song in the Chicago Quadio box.

Look into SoX (free): http://sox.sourceforge.net/. It has a "remix" function that can add or delete channels quickly from the command line.

Sox is also great for down sampling music ... say taking the 96k instrumental versions on the XTC Blu-Ray and converting them to CD quality to listen to on my PC.

Look into SoX (free): http://sox.sourceforge.net/. It has a "remix" function that can add or delete channels quickly from the command line.

This sounds neat, but what's annoying is that the two empty channels have to be added between the front and rear pairs.

I'm worried that this program can only add them after the rear pair, which will cause the file to save as left, right, center, sub and empty rears.

This sounds neat, but what's annoying is that the two empty channels have to be added between the front and rear pairs.

I'm worried that this program can only add them after the rear pair, which will cause the file to save as left, right, center, sub and empty rears.
You can add, delete and move channels any way you want.

As I have mentioned before here, Audiomuxer will add empty center/sub channels to quad pcm files on the fly with one check box. I have gotten into the habit of using it for every quad rip for compatibility sake. File sizes are exactly the same with the added empty channels.

Back