Problems playing MKA files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is via Windows settings....

Not sure if something looks off here?

1625147636120.png

This is via Windows settings....

Not sure if something looks off here?

View attachment 68537

Advanced tab? Allow exclusive?

Weird it works with VLC and not Foobar. Remember it is bitstreaming the signal to the receiver and that signal can't be manipulated in any way by Windows or Foobar.

I noticed I have a Foobar component called WASAPI output support, maybe that will help?

Advanced tab? Allow exclusive?

Weird it works with VLC and not Foobar. Remember it is bitstreaming the signal to the receiver and that signal can't be manipulated in any way by Windows or Foobar.

I noticed I have a Foobar component called WASAPI output support, maybe that will help?
Installed WASAPI, which gives me lots of additional choices (which I don't understand what they do) in Foobar. Still, all my Atmos tracks simply play in standard 5.1.

Installed WASAPI, which gives me lots of additional choices (which I don't understand what they do) in Foobar. Still, all my Atmos tracks simply play in standard 5.1.

So if you choose DENNON Receiver Event WASAPI it still doesn't pass Atmos? And VLC does pass Atmos? Did you check the allow exclusive mode under advanced settings?

Do you have any ripped DTS CDs to see if Foobar is indeed passing simple bit perfect audio to the Dennon?

Nothing I do in Foobar (per instructions above and elsewhere) makes my .mka or .m4a files play properly (Atmos). They play, but seems they are only playing in 5.1. And, my receiver never switches over to Atmos (like it does when I play those same files in VLC)

I can't find the other thread where I was also trying to work this out--and someone (who seemed to know what he was talking about) explained that foobar is different under the hood and, unlike VLC and Kodi, just won't pass the Atmos metadata on to your receiver, no matter what the settings. I posted in the foobar user forums to see if anyone was working on modifying the program, writing a plugin, whatever, and the only people who responded were effectively saying "who cares about Atmos anyway"?

Last edited:
I can't find the other thread where I was also trying to work this out--and someone (who seemed to know what he was talking about) explained that foobar is different under the hood and, unlike VLC and Kodi, just won't pass the Atmos metadata on to your receiver, no matter what the settings. I posted in the foobar user forums to see if anyone was work on modifying the program, writing a plugin, whatever, and the only people who responded were effectively saying "who cares about Atmos anyway"?

That would certainly explain things! Kodi is my preferred player especially now with a better, more configurable skin compared to the default skin. Thanks.

I can tag the songs of the single MKA file with MP3Tag, actually. I import as usual to Kodi Library and the relevant tags are being recognized. The only thing which is not working is gapless playback.

I am getting gapless playback with MKA files in Kodi. HOWEVER, I am using Plex server to feed Kodi with the PlexKodiConnect add-on.

The MKA tags don't fully work in jRiver but adding a cue to the split MKA files does work in jRiver. Just a heads up for the people that use jRiver...

I can't find the other thread where I was also trying to work this out--and someone (who seemed to know what he was talking about) explained that foobar is different under the hood and, unlike VLC and Kodi, just won't pass the Atmos metadata on to your receiver, no matter what the settings. I posted in the foobar user forums to see if anyone was work on modifying the program, writing a plugin, whatever, and the only people who responded were effectively saying "who cares about Atmos anyway"?

Could that thread be this thread but early on?

For the record, yes, I can play mka files with VLC and Windows media player. But, they tend to skip. Is there some setting that will stop the skipping? Jeezzzzz - it's always something, honestly.

For the record, yes, I can play mka files with VLC and Windows media player. But, they tend to skip. Is there some setting that will stop the skipping? Jeezzzzz - it's always something, honestly.

KODI would be my recommendation. The only thing I don't like about it is it sometimes doesn't shut down properly. I just need to remember to minimize it instead.

I absolutely hate the KODI UI and it's menus.
Been playing with it on and off for a year or more and I still don't understand it. :mad:

I absolutely hate the KODI UI and it's menus.
Been playing with it on and off for a year or more and I still don't understand it. :mad:

Compared to what? I like that it works equally well with a mouse, a keyboard, or a remote. I use a Harmony hub remote over Bluetooth and it is perfection. It even works with a game controller.

If you don't bother to tag your files, Kodi isn't for you. We agree on the fact that I hate most things I don't understand too!

Rather than utilizing unlimited libraries, Kodi uses sub-menus. Understanding how they act as shortcuts on the home screen (rather than libraries) is important in understanding Kodi. Next is widgets, which is what is displayed while on a Menu or a Sub-menu. Widgets are what makes Kodi look nice, but more importantly, makes it more functional than the other organizers/players.

If you don't bother to tag your files, Kodi isn't for you. We agree on the fact that I hate most things I don't understand too!
I do tag my files but not to any huge extent. I like to input notes on the exact source of the file so I'll always know where it came from and it's technical details, etc. I find Kodi as UN-intuitive a GUI as I've ever used and it's menu structure is a mess.

The rest is preference and I personally prefer a cascading menu style of GUI such as my fave Strawberry though it has it's weaknesses, I also use Cantata mainly for DSD files that Strawberry has some issues with. For power use and it's flexibility I like Foobar2000, unfortunately there isn't a native Linux build so that leaves it mostly out in the cold, I've been a Linux desktop user almost 25 years now..
Strawberry
strawberry.png

Cantata
cantata.png

Last edited:
KODI would be my recommendation. The only thing I don't like about it is it sometimes doesn't shut down properly. I just need to remember to minimize it instead

I found you need to Exit Kodi from its Shutdown menu in Windows to get Kodi to stop correctly. Closing its window leaves it running.

Kodi on a Linux Intel NUC is the bees knees. Boots instantly to the Kodi menu, shuts down with no probs. Incredibly fast at everything. Small and uses almost no power. Silent. Plays everything with perfect video. HDR for 4K video. Easily controlled by remote control of iPad. Gapless etc.

Kodi on a Linux Intel NUC is the bees knees. Boots instantly to the Kodi menu, shuts down with no probs. Incredibly fast at everything. Small and uses almost no power. Silent. Plays everything with perfect video. HDR for 4K video. Easily controlled by remote control of iPad. Gapless etc.
Yep, it functions very well here and is the only player I can get to play my Atmos files correctly in Linux.
I still dread it's look and feel and the only time I will use it is for Atmos playback. The day I am successful with Atmos in a different player will be the last day I open Kodi. LOL

Have you tried a smart phone or tablet app to run Kodi? No need to use its menus then.

Other than never shutting down correctly Kodi is perfect on my 10th gen Intel Laptop. It doesn't use any resources minimized so I use a button on my Harmony remote to minimize Kodi.

I like Party mode with the dancing Lyrics, Milkdrop visuals, Artist slideshow and Now Playing info, blending in the background, all simultaneity. Kodi Matrix 9.1 and Aeon Nox Silvo 8.

Back