Problems with Imported Video_TS in DiscWelder Chrome

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnotSPb

I’m making my first hybrid DVD-A / V using DiscWelder Chrome 2.0.25.
I am creating Video_Ts in DVD-Lab Pro2. The Video part consists of a ROOT menu, track selection menu and AudioTitle containing a single DTS file with chapters.
I added custom VM commands and turned off the Abstraction Layer when compiling. (Thanks neil wilkes and all other wise people in this forum.)
Separately DVD-Video part is working properly and DVD-Audio, too.
So I import Video_TS and write a disc.
When the disc starts up I see my streams selection menu. DVD-Audio is working properly.
Problem #1. When selecting the video part I do not see any menu, but DTS playback starts up.
Problem #2. While the first track did not finish, I can not select another tracks. Then I can select any track, but if I choose the first, navigation shuts down again. Looks like UOP Restriction, which is not.

What’s my mistake?
Thanks in advance.

Problem #1 is not a problem - this is perfectly normal behaviour as you do not get any access to menu screens that reside in the Video_TS when the player is in AUDIO mode - the player bypasses these completely. If you think about it, this makes sense otherwise if you are in the AMGM_DOM (Audio Manager of the Audio_TS, which is where the navigational menus all live) and access the DTS stream (more there in a minute, as that is not spec legal) by going to a menu in the Video_TS then where would the player go if you went to, say "Main Menu"?
All menus you require MUST exist in the Audio_TS, as when you access the Video_TS you are effectively jumping into a different form of disc altogether - the player will ignore any menus, any pre or post commands & go straight to the timeline, play it, and then drop back to the top menu of the Audio_TS - this is where Chrome has major problems too but that's another story.

Problem #2 I do not understand what you are describing - sorry. Can I see your DAL file?
If you have created a slideshow, then FF/RW/Skip will be disabled by default, and Chrome should have told you there are spec violations as well because prohibiting UserOps is forbidden.

Neil, thanks for your reply.

Problem #1 is not a problem - this is perfectly normal behaviour as you do not get any access to menu screens that reside in the Video_TS when the player is in AUDIO mode - the player bypasses these completely.

I expected it. I could not create a track selection menu in the audio part. The reason is that DiscWelder Chrome links only to a Title, but not to Chapters. It is important for me to use a single file with Chapters. I would not want to split music into separate tracks. Then I tried to use the same menu from the video part.
Sorry, I have to do without this menu.

If you think about it, this makes sense otherwise if you are in the AMGM_DOM (Audio Manager of the Audio_TS, which is where the navigational menus all live) and access the DTS stream (more there in a minute, as that is not spec legal) by going to a menu in the Video_TS then where would the player go if you went to, say "Main Menu"?

I can not edit AMGM_DOM in DiscWelder Chrome, isn’t it? I wouldn’t want to use any additional software right now.

Problem #2 I do not understand what you are describing - sorry. Can I see your DAL file?
If you have created a slideshow, then FF/RW/Skip will be disabled by default, and Chrome should have told you there are spec violations as well because prohibiting UserOps is forbidden.

Sorry I can't send my .dal file because of forum limitations. I'll try it later using another host.
I did not create a slide show, but I've created an Audio Title with background images for each chapter. Only when the first chapter is playing Skip and Next buttons do not work, FF / RW buttons are available. For the second and following tracks Prev and Skip / Next buttons are available.
I have not had any messages when compiling my project in Chrome.

EnotSPb

I expected it. I could not create a track selection menu in the audio part. The reason is that DiscWelder Chrome links only to a Title, but not to Chapters. It is important for me to use a single file with Chapters. I would not want to split music into separate tracks. Then I tried to use the same menu from the video part.
Sorry, I have to do without this menu.

This is one of the big problems with Chrome - the spec access is extremely restrictive.
What you can do is what you have done, and the NEXT button should work.....

I can not edit AMGM_DOM in DiscWelder Chrome, isn’t it? I wouldn’t want to use any additional software right now.

Chrome is all about editing AMGM_DOM. AMGM_DOM = Audio Manager Domain, and it is where the menus live. I may also want to have a look at your WLD file from Chrome too.......

Sorry I can't send my .dal file because of forum limitations. I'll try it later using another host.
I did not create a slide show, but I've created an Audio Title with background images for each chapter. Only when the first chapter is playing Skip and Next buttons do not work, FF / RW buttons are available. For the second and following tracks Prev and Skip / Next buttons are available.
I have not had any messages when compiling my project in Chrome.

EnotSPb

Hmmm. I have your DAL file - what version of DVD-Lab Pro did you make this in, please? This is very important as I will only be able to open it in the same or a later build. I tried in 2.3.1 and it did not seem to work properly, as I had no timelines available to view.
I can create a dropbox for files, if it will help - please PM me your email address for this although we will keep the discussion here so others can also benefit. It may also help to get Chrome up to version 2.30 but version 2.25 should work - if it is not a DL disc.

Hmmm. I have your DAL file - what version of DVD-Lab Pro did you make this in, please? This is very important as I will only be able to open it in the same or a later build. I tried in 2.3.1 and it did not seem to work properly, as I had no timelines available to view.
I have used DVD lab PRO2 v. PRO 2.5

I can create a dropbox for files, if it will help - please PM me your email address for this although we will keep the discussion here so others can also benefit.
Done. I've sent you a PM.

Last edited:
Okay, I have looked at the project in the right version of DAL, and it all looks correct to me.
I'd add some code to make the menu button go to the playlist, but it is not really needed and I also think you have wasted the power of the root menu in VTS1.
Personally - and this is just me - I would put the PLAY/PLAYLIST menu in VMGM_DOM (hit the pink menu create button & make a VMG Menu)
This will always be referred to as pgc 1 in any code.
That will make your playlist the root menu, and hitting menu on the remote should then go to the root menu almost without any code needed.
Your First Play command would change to
CallSS VMGM (pgc 1, rsm_cell 1)
The title command would remain the same, and take you to the root menu.
I would also leave the post command on the main title the same, as the end of play would then take you to the playlist again.

You do not need to draw a link from the root to the playlist, or from the playlist to the title - unless you are looking for the right code, of course, as that is the fastest way to get it - remewmber the AL adds dummy menus though, so the number you should use is the number in the "project" list - so the first VMGM will always be pgc 1 without the Abstraction Layer - the AL calls it PGC 2. Likewise the VTSM numbering is in the order they are in the "project" list - so PGCN 1 is the root menu on this project, and PGCN 2 is the playlist.

Try a recompile with no AL commands used, and check functionality is good in a player before importing into Chrome - this way you can tell if it is the Video_TS or the DVDA side that is to blame.

Neil, thanks for your recommendations.

Yesterday I’ve moved the play / playlist selection from VTS to VMGM menu. Then I’ve compiled my project without of abstraction layer.
Unfortunately, as DVD-Video the disc was not working properly. It has skipped VMG menu and Playlist but started playing.
Still, I have tried to import the Video_TS and compiled the DiscWelder Chrome project. As before, when playing the first track NEXT button was unavailable.
Tonight I will try to find my mistake.
Unfortunately, for some reason I can not put my wld file into the Dropbox. Evening I’ll try to send it from home.

EnotSPb

Last edited:
Can you put the adjusted DAL file in the dropbox, and I will see if I can spot the problem.
You did compile with Abstraction Layer turned off in the compile dialogue, yes?

Can you put the adjusted DAL file in the dropbox, and I will see if I can spot the problem.
You did compile with Abstraction Layer turned off in the compile dialogue, yes?

I've sent you a PM with a link.
And yes, of course, I did compile with Abstraction Layer turned off in the compile dialogue.
Now I'm going to check all custom VM commands in my dal project.

EnotSPb

Okay, we have a problem Houston.
The problem with the problem is that I have no idea where or what it is because I cannot open the DAL file in DVD-Lab Pro 2.5.1 - it crashes the application every time.
Interestingly, the previous version you sent me will open so I have sent you a PM with a suggestion.
Basically, if you send me the DTS file I will rework your Video_TS so it is fully functional & send a new DAL file back to you.
Please be absolutely certain you are running the same build though - this is really important or DLP can throw a wobbly about it & go off in a digital sulk.

Okay, we have a problem Houston.
The problem with the problem is that where or what it is because I cannot open the DAL file in DVD-Lab Pro 2.5.1 - it the application every time.
Interestingly, the previous version you sent me will open so I have sent you a PM with a suggestion.

I have no idea, too. Now I've loaded the .dal file from shared Dropbox folder. It worked properly, at least without crashes.
Exact version number in my DLP about box is PRO 2.5 Compiler 4.212.

Basically, if you send me the DTS file I will rework your Video_TS so it is fully functional & send a new DAL file back to you.
Please be absolutely certain you are running the same build though - this is really important or DLP can throw a wobbly about it & go off in a digital sulk.

I put the DTS file in the Dropbox folder.
Neil, thank you very much for sharing your skills.

I found the bugs.
There will be a replacement Video_TS uploaded shortly.

There were 2 problems, neither of which are your fault - they are rather nasty "gotchas" in DLP - this is why we used version 2.3.1 - the so-called "production stable" build until I learned how to use PGCedit.
I highly reccomend getting a copy of this - it is shareware, but PLEASE DONATE as the developer allows us to fix so many problems.
Problem 1 = There was an additional Pre-Command - JumpSS VTSM (VTS 1, tt 1, menu ROOT) - added at compile to the VMGM where it should be blank, but actually says to go straight to the Playlist.
This was manually deleted in PGCEdit after compile.
Problem 2 = There is another bug with Audio Only titles, and this sets everything as non seamless. PGCEdit allows us to fix this & set as seamless.
Title saved & checked in WinDVD 6 - seems fine to me now.

I've not done anything with the WLD set - that will be what it is anyway, as there seems to be no way to select individual tracks that I can see.
It's the timeline or nothing. I will recheck again, just to be sure, and post back.
I gave up on Chrome a long time ago - BTW, what build do you use? (I got an error trying to open the WLD file)

One more thing. It is critically important to never, ever use anything except alphanumeric names - and even more importantly, never use spaces in file names.
Always use Underscores instead - so I have renamed the file ChrisRea_NWVTS - that "+" inbetween 2 spaces is a killer!!

Thank you so much!
I certainly would not solve this problem without your help
In the evening, I'll try your new VIDEO_TS, and then I will describe my impressions in detail.

I found the bugs.
There will be a replacement Video_TS uploaded shortly.

So, last night I got a new Video_TS. I tested it separately as DVD-Video in WinDVD 6. It worked great including all menus and transitions.
I then imported the Video_TS into my DiscWelder project.
Unfortunately, the previous error remains. The NEXT button is unavailable for the first track.
It seems to me DiscWelder is the reason ultimately.

I gave up on Chrome a long time ago - BTW, what build do you use? (I got an error trying to open the WLD file)

I use Chrome 2.0.25. There is not a build number in the about-box.
And what kind of authoring tools do you use?

I've not done anything with the WLD set - that will be what it is anyway, as there seems to be no way to select individual tracks that I can see.
It's the timeline or nothing. I will recheck again, just to be sure, and post back.

One more thing. It is critically important to never, ever use anything except alphanumeric names - and even more importantly, never use spaces in file names.
Always use Underscores instead - so I have renamed the file ChrisRea_NWVTS - that "+" inbetween 2 spaces is a killer!!

I've renamed all DiscWelder project-related files as you've recommended, and put a new AUDIO_VIDEO_with_NWVTS.wld file into Dropbox.
Perhaps this is the reason of the error when opening .wld file.

So, last night I got a new Video_TS. I tested it separately as DVD-Video in WinDVD 6. It worked great including all menus and transitions.
I then imported the Video_TS into my DiscWelder project.
Unfortunately, the previous error remains. The NEXT button is unavailable for the first track.
It seems to me DiscWelder is the reason ultimately.

Hmmm.
I shall have a look, but my build of Chrome is 2.0.30 - although I may still have a version of 2.0.25 around somewhere.
I'll try to load your file.

I use Chrome 2.0.25. There is not a build number in the about-box.
And what kind of authoring tools do you use?
That is the build number.
I use Sonic's DVD-Audio Creator - it allows me much more access to the specs in every way that Chrome does not.
Let me have a little look-see at your file & see what we can do - but I may rejig it in DAC instead

Hmmm.
I shall have a look, but my build of Chrome is 2.0.30 - although I may still have a version of 2.0.25 around somewhere.
I'll try to load your file.

Some time ago I tested the project in version 2.0.30. I've got the same bug. NEXT button was unavailable for the first track.
I think that both versions are identical regarding such errors.

I use Sonic's DVD-Audio Creator - it allows me much more access to the specs in every way that Chrome does not.
Let me have a little look-see at your file & see what we can do - but I may rejig it in DAC instead

I know that Sonic's DVD-Audio Creator is a flexible professional tool, however, DiscWelder was adequate for my simple single stream projects. Perhaps it is time to think about Sonic's DVD-Audio Creator.

Back