Profile 1.0 Blu-ray players clearance priced at Sears and Circuit City

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let’s try to stay on topic.

I’m curious if the BD-P1200 has jitters at chapter stops on all players or if it’s just a defective unit.

No jitter at chapter stops here. I skipped to the next chapter, rewound, played over the stop, rewound, played over the stop. Skipped to the next chapter and did this for a couple of minutes and never noticed any jitter or stutter at all. This player is running the original firmware and I tried it with DVD and Blu-ray. Of course it doesn't play some recent titles at all and the latest firmware doesn't fix that issue entirely, although I know it helps. I just put it back in the box for now and will wait for the next firmware update, read about it and decide what to do.

Chris

The Panasonic must be in very limited supply now. It's not listed on the Circuit City web site at all.

Right and the clearance models I found at Sears are not listed at the Sears web site either, I checked before going to Sears to pick them up. I did see a display model Panasonic DMP-BD10A/K at the Circuit City store in North Little Rock on Valentine's Day, I remember because I had taken my girlfriend out to eat close to the store and asked if I could stop and look. You can just imagine how excited she was. No new and in the box were available and the store employee that checked on the item thought they might get more in. I told him I didn't think so.

Chris

My Samsung BD-P1200 has been updated to firmware version 2.2 and everything I have attempted to load has loaded quickly. I watched a standard DVD last night and it played properly and I couldn't tell standard DVD performance had been affected at all, meaning it is still excellent for standard DVD. It is too soon to know much, but if anybody has this player, I sure recommend downloading version 2.2 and installing it. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully as powering down the player when updating it can cause serious problems. I am cautiously optimistic this goofy player is going to be worth the $100 I paid for it. I have tried problem discs the player could not load prior to the update.

Chris

My Samsung BD-P1200 has been updated to firmware version 2.2 and everything I have attempted to load has loaded quickly. I watched a standard DVD last night and it played properly and I couldn't tell standard DVD performance had been affected at all, meaning it is still excellent for standard DVD.
Hello, Chris.

Did you check for chapter stutter after the FW update?

Thanks in advance.

Hello, Chris.

Did you check for chapter stutter after the FW update?

Thanks in advance.

No, but I will. Original firmware definitely did not have that issue for me and I thought you indicated you had the issue even with the original firmware. I sure hope it doesn't because I would like to use it for both Blu-ray and DVD, but I will try a few DVD's by skipping forward a chapter at a time than reversing to a point prior to the chapter skip and just let it play. I did that thoroughly enough with the orignal firmware that I was completely convinced there was no issue at all. I will take the time again to do so with this firmware version.

I am just happy the player can load recent Blu-ray releases and apparently play them issue free. Have you tried this firmware version yet?

Chris

No, but I will. Original firmware definitely did not have that issue for me and I thought you indicated you had the issue even with the original firmware. I sure hope it doesn't because I would like to use it for both Blu-ray and DVD, but I will try a few DVD's by skipping forward a chapter at a time than reversing to a point prior to the chapter skip and just let it play. I did that thoroughly enough with the orignal firmware that I was completely convinced there was no issue at all. I will take the time again to do so with this firmware version.

I am just happy the player can load recent Blu-ray releases and apparently play them issue free. Have you tried this firmware version yet?

Chris
I don't remember if I noticed the stutter after the May firmware or before. All reports seem to indicate the original FW had no issues.

Haven't updated to 2.2. Not until I get a BD that requires it. Planning to get the Harry Potter box set this month.

Hopefully a new FW that addresses the stutter and incorporates the recent BD fixes will be out soon.

I don't remember if I noticed the stutter after the May firmware or before. All reports seem to indicate the original FW had no issues.

Haven't updated to 2.2. Not until I get a BD that requires it. Planning to get the Harry Potter box set this month.

Hopefully a new FW that addresses the stutter and incorporates the recent BD fixes will be out soon.

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that Samsung screwed up DVD playback with a firmware update, the company has been completely inept up to this point with releasing firmware updates that create more problems. I must say with 2.2, I have not had any problem yet. I did try a few chapter tests with two DVD's and did not observe the stutter. I will try several more next chance I get and let you know. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" loads and plays fine with my BD-P1200 at version 2.2.

Chris

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that Samsung screwed up DVD playback with a firmware update, the company has been completely inept up to this point with releasing firmware updates that create more problems. I must say with 2.2, I have not had any problem yet. I did try a few chapter tests with two DVD's and did not observe the stutter. I will try several more next chance I get and let you know. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" loads and plays fine with my BD-P1200 at version 2.2.

Chris
Thanks, Chris. Will update whenever I have the time and peace of mind, hopefully this weekend.

I would suggest purchasing a 60GB PS3 on Ebay because they are firmware upgradable to 2.0 profile, are hardware backward compatible with the PS2, support SACD over HDMI and can play the Dolby or DTS track of a DVD-A, not to mention the world of music and movies in HD and lossless surround for Bluray.

I would suggest purchasing a 60GB PS3 on Ebay because they are firmware upgradable to 2.0 profile, are hardware backward compatible with the PS2, support SACD over HDMI and can play the Dolby or DTS track of a DVD-A, not to mention the world of music and movies in HD and lossless surround for Bluray.

No question that the PS3 is better than any of these players if it works in your system. The design and the fact it needs to be in the open and well ventilated means it won't work for everybody. There are also those that refuse to buy a "game console".

Chris

Back