Profile 1.0 Blu-ray players clearance priced at Sears and Circuit City

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If You Can Find It For The $'s It's Worth It The Panasonic Bd10ak It's 2.4 With 7.1 Audio .hdmi1.0/bob

Sadly, that is the case. It does not affect BD discs.

You are saying your BD-P1200 stutters with all DVD's? If so, what firmware version? I have not seen a single stutter with any DVD I have played yet using my BD-P1200 but I refused to load the 2/05/08 firmware after reading about it. All older Blu-ray titles I have play well as far as I can tell, having checked several. I tried "3:10 to Yuma", a recent Blu-ray release and it was a no-go, although my BD-P1000 loads and plays it.

It is an unfortunate mess and the Java code creates the issues, but all other models as far as I know can play those titles, so Sun Microsystems and the rest of the BDA need to get their butts in gear and get this one working as well.

Chris

If I may, the problem is that this is NOT an audio/video forum. There are plenty of those out there. This is QuadraphonicQuad, and it has been expanded to include multichannel digital MUSIC formats. I have a Samsung Blu-ray player, a Samsung BD-P1200 as a matter of fact, but it is just a freakin' a video player. If you want to discuss Blu-ray to death, then go to an A/V forum.

By your own admission, you have nothing to contribute to QuadraphonicQuad. In fact, you think our hobby is crap. As for your posts, you simply rehash everything you read on other sites; so why not leave it there! You stated that it is Jon's forum. YES, and he and most of us are quaddies! Shit, why can't you get that?

If you are going to make the point that there is multichannel audio capability within Blu-ray, then I would argue that there were a few Tate/SQ-encoded concert tapes on Beta video tape, but that is NOT what the format was designed for. It is still a video tape. Give it a rest will you, or have you been kicked out of those other forums?

If I may, this section was set up to discuss Blu-ray and HD DVD. There are other parts of this forum that are used to discuss SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V and the other digital surround formats. If this forum was just for the 70's analog quad formats, then I would agree with you. It isn't so I strongly disagree.

Chris

If I may, this section was set up to discuss Blu-ray and HD DVD. There are other parts of this forum that are used to discuss SACD, DVD-A, DVD-V and the other digital surround formats. If this forum was just for the 70's analog quad formats, then I would agree with you. It isn't so I strongly disagree.

Chris
The title of the section is "Next Generation" Surround Sound Formats. The discussion is only relevant to Blu-ray and HD DVD to the extent that they offer surround sound features, preferably having to do with musical content (as this is a MUSIC board). The same is true for the DVD-V section. Discussion about these formats having to do with anything other than surround sound music capabilities is most decidedly off topic and most certainly more appropriate on any number of "other" forums with more of an A/V focus.

So you expect a perfect product, one that will satisfy all users and at a low price, at this point of the planned obsolescence path???

That is not a rational expectation given the way the consumer electronics and the hardware/software industries work.

I really take offense to this statement. I'm not asking for perfection. All I'm asking for is don't tout features saying that these are the things that make it the better choice, when you don't have the capabilities to deliver said features. In no way shape or form is that irrational.

It would be like buying a Ferrari and they say it will do 200 mph. And then it only does 55 when you get it. And when asked, Enzo tells you that it sucks to be you. But they will be fixing this in next years model. So if you want that feature you will have to buy one of those.

Yes, it is all a friggin' joke and unfortunately the joke is on us. There are people on this forum I swear must be shills for Sony.

You are saying your BD-P1200 stutters with all DVD's? If so, what firmware version? I have not seen a single stutter with any DVD I have played yet using my BD-P1200 but I refused to load the 2/05/08 firmware after reading about it. All older Blu-ray titles I have play well as far as I can tell, having checked several. I tried "3:10 to Yuma", a recent Blu-ray release and it was a no-go, although my BD-P1000 loads and plays it.
Hello, Chris.

Yes it does, with all the FW versions I've had so far, including the latest.

It's very brief. I'd hate to make you aware of it if that is the case. :(

The February FW presumably had no effect on DVD playback. It allowed me to play POTC3 which had been in waiting for more than a month.

Hello, Chris.

Yes it does, with all the FW versions I've had so far, including the latest.

It's very brief. I'd hate to make you aware of it if that is the case. :(

The February FW presumably had no effect on DVD playback. It allowed me to play POTC3 which had been in waiting for more than a month.

I have only had my BD-P1200 for a brief period, a few days, but I have other DVD players if it has a problem.

Chris

You should hope it does!! Because that which does not kill you makes you stronger!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Let’s try to stay on topic.

I’m curious if the BD-P1200 has jitters at chapter stops on all players or if it’s just a defective unit.

Has anyone written a polite letter, particularly a paper letter, to Warner or DTS Entertainment or other surround label to see if they have any plans for a Blu-Ray music-only release? I'm not anywhere close to buying any HD video player (no HDTV!) so I would feel uncomfortable writing such a message.

I can't imagine they would ignore such correspondence.

Sears has the following Profile 1.0 Blu-ray players clearance priced:

Sony BDP-S1, item number 57-57436
Samsung BD-P1200, item number 57-57037
Samsung BD-P1000, item number 57-57036

Circuit City has the Panasonic DMP-BD10AK for $212 less a $15 coupon you can pickup in the store. It is the best Profile 1.0 player in my opinion and worth the extra amount if you want to mess with a Profile 1.0 player.

Stock is very limited and most stores will not have these players, I would just call and ask if you are interested. Understand the players are being closed out at these prices because they aren't worth much and Profile 1.1 players are available now and there will soon be Profile 2.0 players available.

Chris

The Panasonic must be in very limited supply now. It's not listed on the Circuit City web site at all.

I would also recommend the Panasonic 10 with it's limitations of being a profile 1.0, mine has played every BD disc I've thrown at it, and of course it's the only player that will do DVD-A. This one is a keeper for me, although I may end up dumping my 30 for a 50 which is kind of a bummer since it's less than 6 months old. I use the 10 on my projector and even though the thing is only 1080i, it looks amazing.

Still, it will be nice not having to worry about having two players for HD Video. Now if only Denon will come through with a Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A player then I will be a happy camper! :D

Back