Proper front-rear balance

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, the more and more I read/watch multiple subs really seem to be a good thing.
Do you think a sub for center, fronts, and rear (3 subs) is excessive? I know everything is trial and error but if I started with two I think I would go one at front of room and one at rear or both at front.
The idea of three almost seems easier as you know the placement will be roughly at two in front and one in rear.
I think I am finally starting to understand the setup of multiples, crossover, etc.
Fascinating subject.
I responded to REL's answer to me, it seems there literature/videos are mostly with the movie watcher in mind, so I said my preference is music listening, waiting for a response.
With the 2 setup I would be sure to place one in back. This made a big difference for me.
I had a center speaker with built in subwoofer once and didn't like it. Made the vocals muddy.

I agree, the more and more I read/watch multiple subs really seem to be a good thing.
Do you think a sub for center, fronts, and rear (3 subs) is excessive? I know everything is trial and error but if I started with two I think I would go one at front of room and one at rear or both at front.
The idea of three almost seems easier as you know the placement will be roughly at two in front and one in rear.
I think I am finally starting to understand the setup of multiples, crossover, etc.
Fascinating subject.
I responded to REL's answer to me, it seems there literature/videos are mostly with the movie watcher in mind, so I said my preference is music listening, waiting for a response.
Multiple subs positioned in opposite directions (front, back) make most sense to compensate for problematic room modes (that are especially problematic in smaller rooms). But for this to work you need a bass management system that offers phase and equalizer features. My Veodyne DD-10+ offers this. I have no experience with REL subs. In my room I have problematic room modes at about 30 Hz (to much bass) an 50 Hz (low bass). The room modes only depend on the room dimensions. So you can calculate them based on them via some online calculators.
To compensate for room modes with multiple subs they have to be driven with a phase shift so that they cancel problematic frequencies.
The amplification and cancellation of bass in a room is also very position dependent so choosing good sub placement and listening position can also help a lot.
For myself I use only one sub because I have no space for multiple ones.

Multiple subs positioned in opposite directions (front, back) make most sense to compensate for problematic room modes (that are especially problematic in smaller rooms). But for this to work you need a bass management system that offers phase and equalizer features. My Veodyne DD-10+ offers this. I have no experience with REL subs. In my room I have problematic room modes at about 30 Hz (to much bass) an 50 Hz (low bass). The room modes only depend on the room dimensions. So you can calculate them based on them via some online calculators.
To compensate for room modes with multiple subs they have to be driven with a phase shift so that they cancel problematic frequencies.
The amplification and cancellation of bass in a room is also very position dependent so choosing good sub placement and listening position can also help a lot.
For myself I use only one sub because I have no space for multiple ones.
Nice sub you have with the equalizer features.
Here is a room mode/wave calculator that is real simple to understand. Harmon Calculator
Here is a You Tube video that explains sub placement well. You Tube room mode link I really like Home Theater Gurus on You Tube as he really breaks every set up into small pieces. I will not have a fancy home theater just a transformed bedroom, but his ideas are very helpful.

Back