Proton SD-1000 acquired

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elguapo511

SSIA.

As a four channel enthusiast, how can I best apply this unit?

Does it work for any Quad LP format. Any as in, any at all...

Will I probably just enjoy what it does with standard stereo to quad separation.

Its a pre amp? but there is no volume?

Box is pretty banged up. Probaby shipped from the late 80's

Also, and probably most important, I found this in Austria. Im in the US. Is there going to be a power switch I need to flip?

You should search here for old posts by former member Disclord who wrote extensively on many subjects including decoders. I do remember that he mentioned the Proton unit and commented on it.

thanks will do.

update: box opened. It has a euro plug. can I just use a purchased power converter. Or do i have to get it rewired?

thanks will do.

update: box opened. It has a euro plug. can I just use a purchased power converter. Or do i have to get it rewired?
We're 240V 50Hz in Europe, you are 110V 60Hz. If the unit has a mains selector 110V/240V on the back you can select 110V and rewire the plug to the US standard. If no mains switch then a 110V to 240V mains power convertor is the way to go.

SSIA.

As a four channel enthusiast, how can I best apply this unit?

Does it work for any Quad LP format. Any as in, any at all...

Will I probably just enjoy what it does with standard stereo to quad separation.

Its a pre amp? but there is no volume?

Box is pretty banged up. Probaby shipped from the late 80's

Also, and probably most important, I found this in Austria. Im in the US. Is there going to be a power switch I need to flip?

Hi There!
As jefe1 said I also have a Proton SD-1000 purchased largely on comments made by former member Disclord. I was lucky to get one as brand new old stock on eBay. In perfect condition though I did have to replace the remote batteries. On that last point I hope you have a functioning remote with it otherwise the unit is totally useless.

Ok, the downside. It does not decode SQ or QS or any other quad format properly. It was not designed for that purpose. This is a very sophisticated perhaps state of the art for the time analog Dolby Pro Logic decoder. DPL analog matrix decoders were terrible for playing back stereo music. Not just Aphex/Proton tried to improve this but others did as well. As a manufacturer complied with the specific rules of Dolby decoding they could then do pretty much what ever they like for stereo play back. The Proton SD-1000 owners manual says:
In the music mode all six channels are full bandwidth. Left back and right back channels are composed of center back information with elements of left front & right front added .

I have used test records for QS as well as my own test signals created in AA 3. Except for cenetr front or center back not one emanates exactly as it should from a QS decoder or even from a DPL II decoder adjusted for QS. SQ test records are the same. Listening to SQ in cinema does at least get the front channels correct.

The good news: It is an extremely low noise low distortion analog decoder & I have never heard a decoding artifact like pumping. Inspecting the interior it is one of the most complex & exquisitely produced PC boards I have seen for that time. It is only the 2nd decoder I know of with a separation control. It is so cool the unit knows what speaker config you are using based on what is plugged into it.

In regards to last I'll say this. After testing the unit & auditioning much in 4/5.1 I was kind of disappointed. It didn't seem to offer any more surround excitement than say a Fosgate Model 5, that I also have. On a whim I decided to hook up a center back speaker that I have never done before. The transformation was rewarding! The rear sound stage seemed more vibrant, the depth seemed improved. Remember it's just not about adding another speaker to center back but also what is extracted from the rears to create that center back. It really helps when the the three speaker feeds in front are complimented by the three speaker feeds in back. I think the Proton SD-1000 will be supplanted by the new Surround Master for me. But if you can use use it for stereo decoding in the six channel mode I think you might really like it.

Side note: the sub woof output has too high an xover point and I estimate only a 6dB/octave roll off. It makes everything tubby boomy and awful. Just leave it unplugged.

So.... let’s see.

What is this good for these days?

What type of decoding does it do?

I only have four speakers and I run it through a modern Yamaha av receiver with analog inputs.

So if I run it through that it will just separate into four Chanel’s however it wants? Or will it just be similar to logic?

What is this good for these days?
Decoding Dolby Surround analog matrix used in movie soundtracks & some music CD's. Also produces a pleasant surround sound effect listening to stereo. With out a doubt it performs this function best in the 6 channel mode.

What type of decoding does it do?
It decodes Dolby Surround analog matrix.

So if I run it through that it will just separate into four Chanel’s however it wants?
Yup. You pretty much described how any QS/SQ or generally any matrix decoder works. Whether it's a Tate 101A or Sansui Vario-matrix decoder you pick an operating mode & a few adjustments like balance or whatever & it does it's thing.

Or will it just be similar to logic?
I can't answer that as I don't know what context you're using logic in. In the broadest sense this is used to describe separation enhancement in decoding. In that sense , yes. More correctly it would refer to SQ decoding as in "SQ Full Logic with Wave form matching." In that sense, no.

Hook it up & give it a try. That will answer more questions than I ever could.

Thanks .... one last question. This has a euro plug so it won’t fit in my wall. Should I get a converter or is there a switch inside? I don’t see one on the back.

I have read it.
The sticker says...
20w230v60

And the plug is a euro plug.

I ask because you mentioned you opened it up. Is there a switch inside? Because there is not on the outside. so do i just get a external or a rewire. thanks, im not an electrician, but i play one on tv.

Hey There
Yes I opened it up when I first unboxed it but I wasn't really looking for a mains power switch & that was 1.5+ years ago. As my unit is buried in dozens of interconnects I suggest best bet would be to pop the lid on yours & see what's inside. If don't want to or there isn't a switch for 120 than certainly the sure thing is just buy a step up xfmr.

Let us know how you like it you get it going!

Hi There!
As jefe1 said I also have a Proton SD-1000 purchased largely on comments made by former member Disclord. I was lucky to get one as brand new old stock on eBay. In perfect condition though I did have to replace the remote batteries. On that last point I hope you have a functioning remote with it otherwise the unit is totally useless.

Ok, the downside. It does not decode SQ or QS or any other quad format properly. It was not designed for that purpose. This is a very sophisticated perhaps state of the art for the time analog Dolby Pro Logic decoder. DPL analog matrix decoders were terrible for playing back stereo music. Not just Aphex/Proton tried to improve this but others did as well. As a manufacturer complied with the specific rules of Dolby decoding they could then do pretty much what ever they like for stereo play back. The Proton SD-1000 owners manual says:

I have used test records for QS as well as my own test signals created in AA 3. Except for cenetr front or center back not one emanates exactly as it should from a QS decoder or even from a DPL II decoder adjusted for QS. SQ test records are the same. Listening to SQ in cinema does at least get the front channels correct.

The good news: It is an extremely low noise low distortion analog decoder & I have never heard a decoding artifact like pumping. Inspecting the interior it is one of the most complex & exquisitely produced PC boards I have seen for that time. It is only the 2nd decoder I know of with a separation control. It is so cool the unit knows what speaker config you are using based on what is plugged into it.

In regards to last I'll say this. After testing the unit & auditioning much in 4/5.1 I was kind of disappointed. It didn't seem to offer any more surround excitement than say a Fosgate Model 5, that I also have. On a whim I decided to hook up a center back speaker that I have never done before. The transformation was rewarding! The rear sound stage seemed more vibrant, the depth seemed improved. Remember it's just not about adding another speaker to center back but also what is extracted from the rears to create that center back. It really helps when the the three speaker feeds in front are complimented by the three speaker feeds in back. I think the Proton SD-1000 will be supplanted by the new Surround Master for me. But if you can use use it for stereo decoding in the six channel mode I think you might really like it.

Side note: the sub woof output has too high an xover point and I estimate only a 6dB/octave roll off. It makes everything tubby boomy and awful. Just leave it unplugged.
In case you can't locate the original Proton SD-1000 remote, the IR remote control for my old Dish Network receiver could at least control the volume and power (and perhaps more than that). The Proton IR code for the remote was found under Tuner/Amplifier Codes section of the receiver the manual

In case you can't locate the original Proton SD-1000 remote, the IR remote control for my old Dish Network receiver could at least control the volume and power (and perhaps more than that). The Proton IR code for the remote was found under Tuner/Amplifier Codes section of the receiver the manual
Thanks but as I said the Proton was purchased new old stock still in factory sealed shipping box. So no trouble with the remote, it works fine. It has been in storage ever since I got the Involve SM v2.

On some equipment, the transformer may have two primary windings. The windings are wired in series for 240 volts, and parallel for 110 volts. If you wire them in parallel, you have to get the phase right, or the windings oppose each other and it winds up as a short. If there is not two windings, then a step up transformer will solve your problem.

Just purchased a sd-1000 with no remote . Very inexpensive for that reason.

@guystooges is there a way to program the code into another remote?

Hey @guystooges .... are you saying the Proton IR codes for the remote are in the manual of the SD-1000? I am looking through it and dont see them. Or were the codes somewhere else. Any idea how to reprogram a remote?

IMO, they were saying the Dish Network remote could control volume and power on equipment other than the satellite box. Codes for programming the Dish Network remote for other equipment would be found in the Dish Network remote Manual.

Back