PS3 Update to Blu-ray Profile 2.0 Scheduled for March 2008

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Gerhard

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
According to this, the PS3 will soon be updated to Profile 2.0 status.

http://kotaku.com/370076/ps3-getting-blu+ray-disc-live-update-live

I don't care about Profile 2.0 but after this happens, I will at least make an effort to understand what all of the fuss has been about. Since most, maybe all of the BD-Live stuff was possible with HD DVD and as far as I know nobody cared, including me, since I never bothered to try it out with HD DVD, I don't think the market will care about it on Blu-ray either. Profile 2.0 players from other manufacturers are due soon as well.

Hopefully next up is an update to decode DTS-HD MA and that I care about.

Chris

Hopefully next up is an update to decode DTS-HD MA and that I care about.

Chris

Agree..I am quite surprised that Sony hasn't by now stated what their plans are with DTS-MA..

The longer this goes the more I'm inclined to think that there may be some hardware limitation in the PS3 pertaining to DTS-MA..

With the resources Sony has, there's no reason why they cannot work on 2.0 and DTS at the same time..

I'm waiting for the Panny BD50, but would certainly consider the PS3 if they offered DTS-MA in a SACD capable unit..

Agree..I am quite surprised that Sony hasn't by now stated what their plans are with DTS-MA..

The longer this goes the more I'm inclined to think that there may be some hardware limitation in the PS3 pertaining to DTS-MA..

With the resources Sony has, there's no reason why they cannot work on 2.0 and DTS at the same time..

I'm waiting for the Panny BD50, but would certainly consider the PS3 if they offered DTS-MA in a SACD capable unit..

It has been repeated too often by too many people that DTS-HD MA decoding is coming for me to be skeptical that it is coming. I do not know the reason Sony hasn't announced the timing but I feel certain there is a reason.

Chris

Is this different than the update that came out March 13?

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/SystemUpdate

I hope so. This update looks a little thin.

Yes, I just yesterday installed that firmware update and since it didn't include DTS-HD MA decoding, I didn't even care what it does include. It also didn't include BD-Live was my understanding, but I didn't read much about it. I believe the BD-Live update is coming with a firmware update 2.something and that one was 1.7 if I recall correctly.

Chris

I can only speculate of course, but just thinking about the reasons Sony hasn't announced the DTS-HD MA update and I thought of something. It is clear Sony is still losing a lot on each PS3 sold, although not nearly as much as the company used to lose but even a $100 loss is a lot on each unit sold. Sony may not be interested in subsidizing the PS3 for Blu-ray playback now but still has to subsidize the console in the competition for the game console market. Sony may not want to circumvent Panasonic DMP-BD50 and Sony BDP-S550 sales when those players are released by updating the PS3 before those players hit the market. Of course they are more concerned about their own player but relations with Panasonic are important towards the goal of making Blu-ray succeed. The PS3 is amazing and a lot of people waiting for the next wave of Blu-ray players might get the PS3 instead if DTS-HD MA happened now. That wouldn't be a tough decision for me if I made decisions for Sony, lose money now on the PS3 or wait and make money on the BDP-S550 which will be sold at cost plus a margin. I wait.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm thinking about jumping into the blu ray world with a PS3.
Which PS3 do you have? The 40G or the 80G?
I understand only the 80G plays sacds but is this hardware enabled or done by software? Could a software update allow the 40G to do this?

Since none of the PS3s have analog outs and I don't have an HDMI receiver I will keep my Oppo in the system for dvd audio and sacd.

Right now Sony online is selling the PS3 40G for $400 but if you use a Sony credit card you get an instant $100 credit dropping th price to $300 plus free shipping.

Thanks

Jeff

The 40g does not have the SACD chip or the ps2 chip. The Cell processor is now 65nm on the 40gig model, so it runs cooler and uses less power. I think we may have lost both the SACD and PS2 chips on future models.

Hi Chris,

I'm thinking about jumping into the blu ray world with a PS3.
Which PS3 do you have? The 40G or the 80G?
I understand only the 80G plays sacds but is this hardware enabled or done by software? Could a software update allow the 40G to do this?

Since none of the PS3s have analog outs and I don't have an HDMI receiver I will keep my Oppo in the system for dvd audio and sacd.

Right now Sony online is selling the PS3 40G for $400 but if you use a Sony credit card you get an instant $100 credit dropping th price to $300 plus free shipping.

Thanks

Jeff

I have the 80GB and I don't know the answer regarding whether or not the 40GB could be updated to play SACD. The 40GB also won't play PS2 games and the situation is the same regarding whether or not that ability could be added by firmware. I believe the answer is moot in both cases, it won't happen regardless, but I have no inside information and only know what I have read. I think the 40GB at $300 would be a great deal if the shortcomings aren't an issue. I do expect the upcoming standalone Blu-ray players will be great and worth waiting for if all you would want a PS3 for is Blu-ray. If you want the other things that the PS3 can do that these standalone players won't do, then of course you want a PS3 and that deal will be difficult to beat.

Chris

Back