Purchasing Advice: 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray Player?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the latest 4K rippers use an intermediate software driver that allows them to work with all (or nearly all) 4K UHD BD drives. MakeMKV uses this driver.

Edit: Added ‘4K UHD’ to last sentence

Yeah, it's MakeMKV that I use, but when I got the drive I had to also flash it with custom firmware. If that's no longer necessary, that's great news!

I just got another external drive (to save wear on the other) but it's a refurb that I suspect is too old for UHD, firmware aside.

Glad you found it, the quality of the Panasonic 420 and 820 players is excellent, I have used both and got my in laws the 420 when I got them a 55" Panny OLED from the "demo surplus" for just CDN$600 Panasonic employee cost. Unfortunately they have issues with MKV, not only cannot read Atmos or TrueHD but if you rip and backup a disc that has both Atmos/TrueHD and dts-MA like Creed, you cannot change audio tracks on MKV files so you're stuck on the "audio format not supported" track. If you're not planning on backing up your discs and using MKV, and don't care about SACD/DVD-A, then it's a smashing option.

I stuck with the X800 original model (Sony) as I needed to replace my BDP-62FD which crapped out and was going to be $150 to repair, got the Sony for US$228 in late 2018. It too has MKV issues with Atmos/TrueHD and Atmos/DD+ but at least you can toggle the audio options. It also has some issues with M2TS files where it cannot pick up the running time/elapsed/remaining and therefore you cannot FF or RW, Avengers Endgame is one example...I was starting to back up to M2TS just so Atmos would work.

Anyway I got an Nvidia Shield two months ago and that solved all my MKV problems. Not only that but the odd M2TS file I still have can be cued and will pick up where you left off which the Sony didn't do, no issues with Atmos/DD+ or Atmos/TrueHD. Fantastic interface for Plex, really impressed.

One caveat with the Shield, it will only bitstream what your receiver can handshake with...so I cannot use Plex/Shield to stream my multichannel FLACs and converting to WAV makes no difference either. I still have to use the Plex/Sony for those and that's okay as it works like a charm. If your receiver will not play MCH FLACs from USB, it won't play them using a media server with the Shield.

Congrats on the Panny pick-up, I'm sure you will love the 4K picture especially with an OLED. I went from a 60" VT60 Panny plasma in late 2018 to a 65" 4K Panny OLED, got it ISF calibrated and have never looked back. Stunning. Shock and awe.

If you're not planning on backing up your discs and using MKV, and don't care about SACD/DVD-A, then it's a smashing option.
I've got my Oppo BDP-103D for all of that.
I went from a 60" VT60 Panny plasma in late 2018 to a 65" 4K Panny OLED, got it ISF calibrated and have never looked back. Stunning. Shock and awe.
I wish I could afford a Panasonic OLED. They really are the best when it comes to color accuracy, image processing, and optimization. Even my fairly basic 32" Panasonic LCD has always had excellent picture quality.

I've got my Oppo BDP-103D for all of that.

I wish I could afford a Panasonic OLED. They really are the best when it comes to color accuracy, image processing, and optimization. Even my fairly basic 32" Panasonic LCD has always had excellent picture quality.
Even better than LG?

I think I may have found my player: the Panasonic DP-UB820-K. It supports all four HDR formats and includes superior onboard video processing (something Panasonic are known for), plus it has 7.1 channel analog outputs fed by a good DAC. It doesn't play DVD-A or SACD, but I have my Oppo for that. It's not "cheap" at $500 MSRP, but it's half the price of the top Panasonic DP-UB9000, while being driven by the same SOC. My Oppo was $600 and it has been a more-than-worthwhile purchase. I can't see this one being any less worthwhile.

Anyone here have this player?
I'm curios JJ, did you ever purchase the Panasonic? I am seriously thinking the same but with the Panasonic DP- U89000.
A couple of reasons, I like the metal box and the center tray, price is within affordability. Keep in mind my McIntosh MVP891 was about 5K and the new MVP901 is about 6K and in the world of Blu Ray players I don't think McIntosh is at the top of class, so a 1K vs a 6K is a win for me.
The input/output chassis looks great to me on the Panasonic. I looked seriously at top of line Sony, and I just think this Panasonic is better, They do say that it is closest to an OPPO 205? Have you confirmed it plays all discs?

I'm curious JJ, did you ever purchase the Panasonic?
I did buy the UB820, and I have no regrets. It plays everything it should (so, no SACD or DVD-A) and even routes 4.0 PCM correctly over HDMI (adds silent C and LFE). I don't yet have a 4K HDR display, nor have I listened to the analog outputs, so I can't comment on the performance of those features at present. The analog outputs of the UB9000 should be even better than the UB820's, on-par with the 205, and the build quality should be similar.

I did buy the UB820, and I have no regrets. It plays everything it should (so, no SACD or DVD-A) and even routes 4.0 PCM correctly over HDMI (adds silent C and LFE). I don't yet have a 4K HDR display, nor have I listened to the analog outputs, so I can't comment on the performance of those features at present. The analog outputs of the UB9000 should be even better than the UB820's, on-par with the 205, and the build quality should be similar.
Bummer, I thought it played SACD and DVD.
The big all in one units are very expensive, I might have to rethink this. Get the Panasonic for Blu Ray 4K TV viewing or Blu Ray audio??
Get a designated SACD/DVD player with HDMI out for surround listening??

Last edited:
Back