Chase - Pure Music (2012 Sony Japan Blu-Spec CD) SQ Encoded

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
One of my favorite Quads is now available on a SQ encoded Blu-Spec CD. Of course, I picked one up. I already have an SQ, Q8 and US CD of it. Yessssss!!!!!!
$(KGrHqJ,!roFBBvR5-LBBQRY(y6WrQ~~60_35.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the good fortune to see Chase in the summer of 1974, shortly before Bill's tragic death.

A HS senior and trumpet player myself, I grabbed some buddies and drove to Kalamazoo to see Chase at Don Neal's Mr. T-Bone.

The venue was small. We arrived early and picked a table right up front, literally six feet from Bill as he played.

Bill's trumpet raised high in the air, he started off with "Open Up Wide". What a pure sound! Chase played music from three albums (Chase, Ennea, Pure Music), plus some other selections including a four-trumpet rendition of McCarthur Park, which blew our socks off!

The best part? During the break Bill chatted with us about his playing style, and provided us tips on trumpet mouthpiece selection. Of course his was custom made :)

It was a night to remember!

I'd love to get a quad version of Pure Music. I'm new to the quad game, any suggestions on where to look? I'm limited to SACD/DVD for now, but I'm open to future HW procurements.

Thanks,
Steve

One of my favorite Quads is now available on a SQ encoded Blu-Spec CD. Of course, I picked one up. I already have an SQ, Q8 and US CD of it. Yessssss!!!!!!
View attachment 7120

I had the good fortune to see Chase in the summer of 1974, shortly before Bill's tragic death.

A j Ennea, Pure Music),

It was a night to remember!
I'd love to get a quad version of Pure Music. I'm new to the quad game, any suggestions on where to look? I'm limited to SACD/DVD for now, but I'm open to future HW procurements.

{{{The BGO triple cd version contains both the Chase and Pure Music cd's in SQ .

And it's still available to order on line, got mine 2 yrs back through a local vendor.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?1776-Matrix-Quad-CD-s/page4

Check out my review Post #83.}}}}}} FZY

Thanks,
Steve

-fizzywiggs re Matrixcds

Thanks. I just ordered the triple CD version to try it out (y)

Steve

Your very welcome.

BTW that link to the quadmatrix cds contains many finds and reviews, but I get the impression many at QQ that collect quad cds etc. are missing out on a fabulous and informative thread.

FWIW this quad addict finds it most informative.

(If anyone else has info to contribute for that thread, please climb on board):D

that link again....
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?1776-Matrix-Quad-CD-s/page4

Are you sure these are SQ encoded?
The first Chase album on iTunes is, as is the Japanese CD.. the Japanese Blu-spec of Pure Music is not.

Fizzywiggs41 says they are. For the price it seems worth a try.

Next step - I need to figure out how to decode them if they are SQ. Based on some hasty research it seems the software-based SQ decoders are built on Adobe Audition 2.0, which I don't have. Oh well, I've got a few weeks to figure it out. :)

I had my doubts too.

Afterall BGO is on Universal.

The first disc is SQ and impressive.Was not certain about Pure Music listening to the first track.....but then the second track----oh yea, you bet .A little plus to this set, is that you get the original quad liner notes/credits for Pure Music.(y)

You can totally tell with the 1st track on Pure Music if its encoded or not from the very beginning, the opening bass line should be steered to the Rear Right (or at least most prominent there, decoder dependent maybe..?).

Then, to really quell any ambiguity as to whether its a happy accident from the Stereo or the actual SQ.. about a minute and a half into the tune there's a bit where the trumpet goes walking round the room 360 degrees, its not as stark as the 4-corner trumpet blasts at the start of the 1st Chase SQ Quad (which is amazing!!) but it is very apparent, like a subtler version of it almost.. and then there's sweeping phasey synth bits that ping pong around all the speakers throughout along with the various horny bits here there and everywhere.. if it doesn't do all that then I'd say either the decoder's up the spout/not very good or its not the SQ you're playing imho and there's a couple of versions of Pure Music I've checked out now and they do nothing as Quaddy as the SQ LP which is just stunning, I so so so wish some label would reissue Pure Music in discrete 4-ch direct from the Quad masters.. SQ and Q8 even as good as they can get can never do it justice, imho :eek:

Pardon my Cockney understanding, but "decoder's up the spout" ?

Doesn't that mean it could be pregnant ? Wow if so I could use some decoder babies---the more the merrier!!! :yikes

Anywho I'll re-test that cd track, cause I just gotta.u know.!!

Now I'm actually surprised that QL 's cd from Japan (is stereo ??) This from the land of SQ only -----where such quad EPIC/SONY releases
flourished.No shit !!

In summation:

We have had many questions about why no SQ cds exsist from the hundreds of (seperate quad and stereo) SQ mixed master tapes from CBS
RECORDS !!??? Surely some must have survived as the odd ones might just be superior in quality afterall.
So then itcame to pass someone in the know, informed us all that at least 3 are confirmed;

CHASE-CHASE, CHASE-PURE MUSIC, and NEIL DIAMOND-SERENADE.
(I just gotta believe there are more than these 3 ??)

And ok we will review this, just trying to be informing,

fizzy-will-dig-for-quad:violin(y):D

Haha.. it does indeed mean that Fizzy, well it really means its "screwed" (as in shagged, f*cked, donald ducked, shafted, etc.. and that's how babies happen too apparently, so yes, maybe some sexy SQ decoders are up the spout in that respect too.. at least that's what Santa told me in his grotto in Arding & Hobbs in 1982, about how you make a baby.. it must have been the real Santa from Lapland because he had such cold hands.. they soon warmed up though which was, cool..)

Now, just to get serious for a nanosecond... Neil Diamond's Serenade on CD is not SQ Quad, at least the CD I have of it (not a remaster iirc) is not (I'll check which edition it is presently and let you know, Fizzy).

Similarly, no CD version of Dylan's Desire I own (I have 3 now, remastered Sony, what looks like an unremastered Sony and the redbook on the Sony SACD) are the Quad.. and no CD of BJ's Turnstiles (I didn't get the MFSL SACD of Turnstiles on principle) are Quad either :(

Chase & Pure Music I don't have enough copies to say (well I do, I have too many copies but I think I've given up, the SQ LPs of both Chase Quads trounce the CDs of those albums that I have, imho). :upthumb

Oh yes Fizzy..
as to your question as to why more SQ Quads from Sony's vaults haven't leaked or been used (whether intentionally or accidentally) on CD reissues over the years, I have a theory, which is very simple = the people at these labels responsible for archives and so forth are perhaps not as clueless as we may sometimes think, they know which tapes are which and have worked to get their house in order.. and then the engineers or teams of pro's doing the CDs know which tapes to pull (i.e. the ones that are the Stereo mixdown master.. sometimes marked "USE THIS!" etc...) rather than one marked "SQ Quadraphonic" or somesuch.. I think this is something that has improved over the last 15-20 years, prior to that in the 80's there was potential for anything and everything to be used and often it did (still though, very very few SQ Quads from Sony seemed to have slipped out on CD even then)

..anyway, just a hunch, probably wrong..

Yours hunchedly,
Freddimodo the humpback of London :D

Oh yes Fizzy..
as to your question as to why more SQ Quads from Sony's vaults haven't leaked or been used (whether intentionally or accidentally) on CD reissues over the years, I have a theory, which is very simple = the people at these labels responsible for archives and so forth are perhaps not as clueless as we may sometimes think, they know which tapes are which and have worked to get their house in order.. and then the engineers or teams of pro's doing the CDs know which tapes to pull (i.e. the ones that are the Stereo mixdown master.. sometimes marked "USE THIS!" etc...) rather than one marked "SQ Quadraphonic" or somesuch.. I think this is something that has improved over the last 15-2

0 years, prior to that in the 80's there was potential for anything and everything to be used and often it did (still though, very very few SQ

Quads from Sony seemed to have slipped out on CD even then

..anyway, just a hunch, probably wrong.

Yours hunchedly,

Freddimodo the humpback of London :D

Well now when it comes to SQ MATRIX QUAD masters, there are two differing ,,,two REGIONAL markets to take into consideration. This is important as what North America did (and Europe 2).......was not quite the same as Japan》》》When it came to promoting CBS/COLUMBIA quad SQ discs (for NORTH AMERICA/EUROPEAN), ie.separate stereo and quad discs for that market and......
quad SQ only (mostly)4 Japan , well at least all Japanese discs I got to see were SQ, providing the mix existed. And additionally I don'

from he of the Wigg thats Fizzy = To Be Continued..

(I hope.. otherwise that last post made no sense.. or I've finally gone radio ga ga.. probably the latter :confused:

Back