Pye 594 4ch Stereo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBox4.0

This unit i picked up at the same recycle centre as the SK15a speakers.

The Pye 594 is complete and working. Previous owner cut the power cord and tossed, bcs the only issue is, it won't turn off.

I purchased a new cartridge and needle, but didn't need to as old one works fine too.

Have used this unit for about 2 months, before storing. It is need of a full restoration to get it back up to speed.

Attachments

• 20201229_111827.jpg
    20201229_111827.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 310
  • 20201229_111834.jpg
    20201229_111834.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 297
  • 20201229_111855.jpg
    20201229_111855.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 292
I also have a few SQ and EQ LPs that play quite well. Sound and channel separation seem pleasing. Nice ambiance and some main through rears.

Not exactly high end but similar to what a lot of us started out with. Notice the Gerrard turntable has a ceramic cartridge, you could flip the needle over to play 78's very common back then.
Looks like real quad by the logo but often the low end stuff was just stereo using the Dyna type speaker connection for the rear channels.

Yes, its a small piece of low tech. But it does play quad recordings and separate the sound nicely, I have several Pye quad recordings that came with this system., as well as the sales brochure and manual. Except no info on the net on unit.

I intend taking the electronics out to install in a small enclosure. The unit isn't much bigger than 400x120x120 when out.

Currently has issue not turning off. But otherwise sounds quite nice with those box speakers

The deck is also stuck on 33 with a mechanical issue. The original needle still functions both ways, have tried 78s, albeit at 33rpm.

Have replace cartridge and needle with a compatible one. Cant tell much difference on sound.

I doubt this is really quad in the active sense. Looks as though it only has a 2ch stereo amplifier (as there is no volume control for the rear or any front / rear balance control). Nor are there any logos or switches to suggest there is any form of even the most basic SQ, QS or RM decoder fitted. I suspect the 2ch/4ch button just connects the rear speakers to the stereo amp à la Hafler technique.

A bit of further research reveals that PYE Industries Australia produced a little standalone stereo amp, the Audio 1000, similarly equipped for 'quad' -
PYE.JPG

The seller, Reclaimed Audio in Brisbane, describes it thus -
"Designed in Britain, and made in Australia by Pye Industries (before the brand was swallowed by Philips and used on cheapie stuff) this little HiFi amplifier dates from around 1969. It delivers about 12 watts per channel (pretty much average for its day). It has a trick up it’s sleeve too… it can be operated as a stereo amplifier, or simulated quadraphonic. Simply add a pair of rear speakers, and switch to 4 channel mode, it will pull rear channel ambience information from any stereo source. In addition to tape and aux inputs the amplifier has a turntable phono stage that can handle both modern magnetic cartridges and older ceramic cartridges."

So the chances are that it's the same or a very similar chassis that is fitted into the 594 console.

Last edited:
Nice, thanks for the info. I did glance at that site and that particular page, just earlier this week but was scanning for image clues. Possibly similar inside or of same design.

It is a quad, synthesised stereo quad, as you say. I've attached some more pics, of user brochure and internal electronics, they are low end and nit much of them.

Attachments

• 20201231_031358.jpg
    20201231_031358.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 239
  • 20201231_031511.jpg
    20201231_031511.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 243
  • 20201231_031708.jpg
    20201231_031708.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 20201231_031756.jpg
    20201231_031756.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 247
I doubt this is really quad in the active sense. Looks as though it only has a 2ch stereo amplifier (as there is no volume control for the rear or any front / rear balance control). Nor are there any logos or switches to suggest there is any form of even the most basic SQ, QS or RM decoder fitted. I suspect the 2ch/4ch button just connects the rear speakers to the stereo amp à la Hafler technique.

A bit of further research reveals that PYE Industries Australia produced a little standalone stereo amp, the Audio 1000, similarly equipped for 'quad' -
View attachment 61063
The seller, Reclaimed Audio in Brisbane, describes it thus -
"Designed in Britain, and made in Australia by Pye Industries (before the brand was swallowed by Philips and used on cheapie stuff) this little HiFi amplifier dates from around 1969. It delivers about 12 watts per channel (pretty much average for its day). It has a trick up it’s sleeve too… it can be operated as a stereo amplifier, or simulated quadraphonic. Simply add a pair of rear speakers, and switch to 4 channel mode, it will pull rear channel ambience information from any stereo source. In addition to tape and aux inputs the amplifier has a turntable phono stage that can handle both modern magnetic cartridges and older ceramic cartridges."

So the chances are that it's the same or a very similar chassis that is fitted into the 594 console.
It does predate SQ and QS by at least 2 to 3 years, so it probably has a Hafler circuit.

Anything with the Hafler circuit in it must be later than July 1970.

Hey, I have a few Decca Phase 4 LP's but haven't looked into them or done any comparison on Quad. Phase 4 is not simulated Quad or Stereox2. It predates everything, as I can see?

Phase 4 recordings give a realistic 4ch surround. Beethoven 1812 overture is awesome with cannon going off all around you. Other samples are of city cafe life and everyday sounds, in surround. Also have a few music pressings, yet to sort through.

Phase 4 Stereo was a recording process created by the U.K. Decca Records label in 1961.[1] The process was used on U.K. Decca recordings and also those of its American subsidiary London Records during the 1960s.

Phase 4 Stereo recordings were created with an innovative 10-channel, and later 20-channel, "recording console"[2] (actually a mixing console.) The concept of Phase 4 Stereo has no connection with Quadraphonic sound or "four channel stereo." But because there often are sounds in the extreme right or extreme left channels, the records may also give pleasing results when played on Hafler circuit systems or other simulated four channel systems.

Approximately two hundred albums were released with the process, including popular music, "gimmick" records engineered to make the sound travel from speaker to speaker, records featuring percussion effects, and historical sound effect records. In 1964, a light classical Phase 4 "Concert Series" was produced.

Phase-4 is a process that uses a multichannel mixing console to mix parts to make a stereo record.

I have London Phase-4 records that predate anything quad.

The London label was created to bypass trademarks in use by different companies in other countries. Decca was one such trademark.

Last edited:
Phase-4 is a brand, not a surround sound system.

I have Phase-4 records that predate anything quad.

Not a brand. A process:

"Phase 4 Stereo
was a recording process created by the U.K. Decca Records label in 1961"

Decca is the Branding. Phase 4 is the marketing term.

Here's a link to a pretty good explanation:
http://gasdisc.oakapplepress.com/decca_phase4.htm
"Phase 4 was a marketing term/ploy that was designed to make one think a great new breakthrough in technology had been achieved. Under this logic, phase 1 was 78rpm records and anything else "old", phase 2 was long playing records, phase 3 was stereo, so the next new twist was phase 4."

I might restore my system into new cabinetry and repair the circuits as needed (caps and joints etc) and keep as a separate system for the phase 4 LPs.

Phase 4 Stereo was the very antithesis of hi-fi, deliberately creating an artificial and exaggerated sound far removed from anything you’d hear in a concert hall. It was introduced by Decca as a frankly patronising approach to try and make orchestral music sound more ‘dramatic’. Basically they were trying to sell classical and light music recordings to an audience who they obviously thought, to paraphrase Thomas Beecham, “didn’t like music but loved the noise it made”. The recordings were widely ridiculed by music and audio critics. They certainly always sounded ghastly to me. I think it was a real embarrassment to the mainstream classical music producers at Decca who felt it undermined their long standing hi-fi credentials. It is amazing that they staggered on producing the stuff until the late seventies.

Phase 4 Stereo was the very antithesis of hi-fi, deliberately creating an artificial and exaggerated sound far removed from anything you’d hear in a concert hall. It was introduced by Decca as a frankly patronising approach to try and make orchestral music sound more ‘dramatic’. Basically they were trying to sell classical and light music recordings to an audience who they obviously thought, to paraphrase Thomas Beecham, “didn’t like music but loved the noise it made”. The recordings were widely ridiculed by music and audio critics. They certainly always sounded ghastly to me. I think it was a real embarrassment to the mainstream classical music producers at Decca who felt it undermined their long standing hi-fi credentials. It is amazing that they staggered on producing the stuff until the late seventies.

That would suit my taste in the weird and abhorrent in a complementary way, for sure.

Attachments

• 16100352840079213802980227393081.jpg
    16100352840079213802980227393081.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 209
Back in the day when we ran into a record that was extremely gimmicky or artificial (extreme left and right positioning and no center fill) we would remark WOW ever good stereo! Similar with quad releases that many would describe as being very discrete. Almost always the records were done that way because they were originally "multitracked" for mixdown to mono and only (reluctantly) got released in stereo as it became more popular. So it sounds like "Phase 4" basically did the same thing but deliberately, at the time I'm sure many people would of remarked "WOW ever good stereo"!

Back