Pye 594 4ch Stereo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day when we ran into a record that was extremely gimmicky or artificial (extreme left and right positioning and no center fill) we would remark WOW ever good stereo! Similar with quad releases that many would describe as being very discrete. Almost always the records were done that way because they were originally "multitracked" for mixdown to mono and only (reluctantly) got released in stereo as it became more popular. So it sounds like "Phase 4" basically did the same thing but deliberately, at the time I'm sure many people would of remarked "WOW ever good stereo"!

There's a correlation between Dub and this bastardisation of 'stereo', as dub was developed around the same time using multilayered mixing consoles.

I could be wrong, I'm no expert, just recall reading about the development of reggae/ska/dub culture

Back in the day when we ran into a record that was extremely gimmicky or artificial (extreme left and right positioning and no center fill) we would remark WOW ever good stereo! Similar with quad releases that many would describe as being very discrete. Almost always the records were done that way because they were originally "multitracked" for mixdown to mono and only (reluctantly) got released in stereo as it became more popular. So it sounds like "Phase 4" basically did the same thing but deliberately, at the time I'm sure many people would of remarked "WOW ever good stereo"!

Phase 6? Might look further into this crazy marketing, was thus an Italian thing only?

My curiosity lies in the technology, its nostalgic.

For history purposes, I have a very early 'phase 4' attempt at creating a market in surround sound.

The Technics CD4 in my collection is the advancement of 'surround sound.

And then ive got my 10year old Yamaha HT setup as a reasonably modern 9.2 system.

Also have a few mono valve amps that need repairing. So the whole range of audio frequencies.

Phase 6? Might look further into this crazy marketing, was thus an Italian thing only?

Phase 6 was another artificial stereo 'enhancement' technique. It was created by Italian firm Vedette and it mangled multi-miked recordings in a similar way to Decca's Phase 4 process. I guess they ripped off the idea from Decca but had to come up with a different name to avoid copyright infringement!
The system was explained in glowing terms by the company thus :
"VEDETTE PHASE 6 SUPERSTEREO recordings are the result of a high-fidelity stereo recording technique in which the electronic equipment and the techno-musical concept of the orchestral arrangements are coefficient in the realization of the final high-precision and high-quality product. The particular feature of VEDETTE SUPERSTEREO is in the Three-Dimensional concept resulting from the separation of the full sound prospective into three sections following the mixing at the source. The 18 channels of a specially designed console mixer, built by Neumann of Berlin on VEDETTE specifications, can record separately and be switched to any of the six tracks of the master tape. Each channel is equipped with a preamplifier which provides both equalization and facilities for echo effects (both electronics or chamber reverberation). E.M.T. and Telefunken limiters and compressors react on each channel, allowing complete freedom from distortion. After mixing, the transfer of the orginal six-track to standard two-track tape is effected on an Ampex MR-70. From this tape, and under the strict control of both the engineer and staff musicians, the master record is cut with a Teldec automatic cutting-head. The most severe technical control is exercised at every stage of the process which follows. A constant check against distortion insures a perfectly pressed record which in turn offers the listener a perfect edition of the 6 Phase concept. This concept can be more simply defined as a Three-Dimensional musical sensation which brings you, etched in the grooves of fine quality vinyl pressings, the excitement and beauty of fine music, always and whenever you so desire to listen!"
(From the back cover of LP "Siesta - Orchestra Pinto Varez - VPAS 868)

Despite the hype it wasn't very successful and I think there were no more than a couple of dozen releases using the system before it sank without trace.

Phase 6 was another artificial stereo 'enhancement' technique. It was created by Italian firm Vedette and it mangled multi-miked recordings in a similar way to Decca's Phase 4 process. I guess they ripped off the idea from Decca but had to come up with a different name to avoid copyright infringement!
The system was explained in glowing terms by the company thus :
"VEDETTE PHASE 6 SUPERSTEREO recordings are the result of a high-fidelity stereo recording technique in which the electronic equipment and the techno-musical concept of the orchestral arrangements are coefficient in the realization of the final high-precision and high-quality product. The particular feature of VEDETTE SUPERSTEREO is in the Three-Dimensional concept resulting from the separation of the full sound prospective into three sections following the mixing at the source. The 18 channels of a specially designed console mixer, built by Neumann of Berlin on VEDETTE specifications, can record separately and be switched to any of the six tracks of the master tape. Each channel is equipped with a preamplifier which provides both equalization and facilities for echo effects (both electronics or chamber reverberation). E.M.T. and Telefunken limiters and compressors react on each channel, allowing complete freedom from distortion. After mixing, the transfer of the orginal six-track to standard two-track tape is effected on an Ampex MR-70. From this tape, and under the strict control of both the engineer and staff musicians, the master record is cut with a Teldec automatic cutting-head. The most severe technical control is exercised at every stage of the process which follows. A constant check against distortion insures a perfectly pressed record which in turn offers the listener a perfect edition of the 6 Phase concept. This concept can be more simply defined as a Three-Dimensional musical sensation which brings you, etched in the grooves of fine quality vinyl pressings, the excitement and beauty of fine music, always and whenever you so desire to listen!"
(From the back cover of LP "Siesta - Orchestra Pinto Varez - VPAS 868)

Despite the hype it wasn't very successful and I think there were no more than a couple of dozen releases using the system before it sank without trace.
A lot of technobabble doesn't really explain exactly what the process does. It sounds like they are paying close attention to each phase of the recording process, trying to keep distortion down. They never really explain the Three-Dimensional part!

A lot of technobabble doesn't really explain exactly what the process does. It sounds like they are paying close attention to each phase of the recording process, trying to keep distortion down. They never really explain the Three-Dimensional part!
The “three dimensional” stuff was all marketing bollox of course, it produced no such effect. It was just frequency separation, spot miking, pan potting, level adjustment and artificial reverb. Reading between the lines it is clear that Vedetta’s Phase 6 process was a close approximation to Decca’s Phase 4. That process was described here by an ex-Decca engineer….

in which he explains how they would go about ruining a perfectly good performance!

Back