Q. about accessing groups on DVD-Audio discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
With Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo software, one can organize their audio files into groups. But when I play a disc with more than one group, I can only access the first group. Am I just operating my DVD-Audio player incorrectly, or is there something I need to do in the software to make this work?

J. D.

Generally, don't you just push the AUDIO button on the remote and cycle through the groups?

I have a Pioneer DV-578A, and after some more research, I have found how to access other groups on a disc.

Turn on the TV
Press "Play Mode" on the remote
Choose "Search Mode"
Choose "Group Search"
Key in the number of the group you wish to access
Press "Enter"

Gosh, what could be more simple than that!

J. D.

Generally, don't you just push the AUDIO button on the remote and cycle through the groups?
On my Pioneer DV-656A, that method works for switching between the stereo and surround groups......and when playing the disc in dvd-video mode, it switches between the Dolby/DTS/LPCM tracks. But it won't go through all the groups at one time.

I do not know why the dvd-audio consortium didn't make the group button mandatory on all dvd-audio players (my $330 player doesn't have one for example but I've seen $300 JVC HTiBs have them) OR make the audio button fully functional i.e. *it* would act as the group button.

J. D.
As much as I like this format, the user operating standards for it are awful and all over the map. Sacd is much better behaved.

Plus, I HATE discs that automatically start themselves or repeat themselves!! That makes no sense whatsover. And IMO they need to just plain s-t-o-p at the end like a CD, like the last few DTS Entertainment titles I bought (where there's a 20 sec countdown timer, then the screen goes black i.e. not even a menu).

I have a bunch of players and I agree this issue is a pain. I think all of them can do it, but the methods are different. Fortunately, I mostly just play the 5.1 MLP and forget the rest. The disc menus should allow access to anything on the disc, but at times I like to just switch on the fly. The audio button or info button seem to be the easiest access point in most cases. The method with my Pioneer DV588A escapes my memory currently but I will guess it is the same as the DV578A.

Chris

On my Pioneer DV-656A, that method works for switching between the stereo and surround groups......and when playing the disc in dvd-video mode, it switches between the Dolby/DTS/LPCM tracks. But it won't go through all the groups at one time.

I do not know why the dvd-audio consortium didn't make the group button mandatory on all dvd-audio players (my $330 player doesn't have one for example but I've seen $300 JVC HTiBs have them) OR make the audio button fully functional i.e. *it* would act as the group button.

Pioneer use their own interpretation of the specs, and it is a nightmare.
Group access? Depends on your player again. Most will access all groups available, but not all.
Pushing the AUDIO button cycles the PGC Blocks, not the groups. (Where there are 2 streams set in a single track, both in the same group).

I have a Pioneer DV-578A, and after some more research, I have found how to access other groups on a disc.

Turn on the TV
Press "Play Mode" on the remote
Choose "Search Mode"
Choose "Group Search"
Key in the number of the group you wish to access
Press "Enter"

J. D.

Hi JD,

I finally got around to burning a disc on DVD Solo with two groups to try to find a better way to access groups on my 578A. While your method works, I find if you press the group number (that you what to access) and "play" on the opening PIONEER splash screen, it plays that group. ie: If you are playing group 1 and you want to switch to group 2, press stop, number "2" then play.

Spence

And speaking of accessing groups...

Anybody have any luck accessing different groups in the Acura RDX (Jon?). I know it could be done in the TL but I haven't been able to do it in the RDX... yet.

Anybody have any luck accessing different groups in the Acura RDX (Jon?). I know it could be done in the TL but I haven't been able to do it in the RDX... yet.

Bob,

I did it in my RDX, but I have not proved the process. I took the Elton GBYBR DVD-Audio as my tester, because it has the "alternate" Candle in the Wind version on a different group. By pressing a button sequence, I got the display to change to DISC 01-02-01, and heard the tunes on group 2.

I will go back and see how I did it. I may have left a post over at the RDX forum, I'll check.

Here's what I wrote back in October over at the RDX forum. I never tried it again:

It seems if you have a DVD-A in the active slot (1-6) and press SCAN twice, the group number starts flashing. For example, Disc 6, group 1, Track 1 will display on the upper dashboard as 6-01-01. The group number is the middle "01". Then, pressing the seek up button will change the group number up in sequence, however, I can't quite be sure how to stop it from scanning. I think you press the scan button again, but sometimes it does not work.

Back