Q4: Akai 1730-SS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyg2181

Akai 1730-SS Quadraphonic Q4 Reel-To-Rell Dack

Rarity: COMMON

Of all the Q4 decks that show up forsale, these seem to be the one up the most

Average Sale Price: $100-$200

Front View
attachment.php

Left Side View
attachment.php

Right Side View
attachment.php

Rear View
attachment.php

Main Controls & VU Meters
attachment.php

Tape Functions
attachment.php

Akai's Unique "Surround Stereo" Logo & Tape Mechanism
attachment.php

Had one of these years ago. Would you believe an apartment security cop knocked on my door claiming my Akai was turned up too loud? That was totally nuts. Those built-in speakers don't even have any bass. I moved out of that place before my first month was up, which turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes of my life, but that's a long story.

I had this model and sold it, I believe in 1977 or 1978. I probably owned it a couple of years and never acquired much on Q4. I sold the few tapes I owned maybe 15 years later, never having owned another Q4 deck until I picked up a couple in 2008 or 2009 but the head of the household nixed my plan of getting back into old quad so I sold those decks also. She tolerates 4 tons of audio video equipment in the house but looked at those and said no.

Lucked out and picked mine up at a antique store here in Memphis for about $45. The switches get tempermental because I don't play with it as often as I'd like to. But when I play it regular for a bit, it is one rock steady thing of beauty.

Back