Q4: Akai GX-400D-SS Quad Reel

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukothai

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
AKAI GX-400D-SS

Rarity: FAIRLY RARE

Average Sale Price: $400-$800

This is my favorite quad reel. They can be a little finicky, but the the frequency response is wonderful. The sales brochure seems like a good way to introduce it.

Akai_GX-400D-SS_1.jpg
Akai_GX-400D-SS_2.jpg
Akai_GX-400D-SS_3.jpg
Akai_GX-400D-SS_4.jpg

Thanks for posting this. When I first bought my 630D-SS, I was actually looking for this unit, as it did all three speeds (not counting the 1 7/8), but the guy at the Military Audio Exchange in Naples told me that this model was discontinued and the 630 was its replacement.

Never saw the brochure until now. THANKS! :D

i had no idea this model even existed til within the last 2 years. and i was in japan while it was being made and sold. in 1973 i bought a cheapo sony quad r2r (tc-277-4) and had i known of this akai or the higher end sonys/teacs/pioneers, i might have gotten one then instead of the sony i did get. oh, well. we live and learn.

but yes, the gx-400d-ss is a killer machine. i got one now!

first time i've seen the brochure also. didn't know there was one. i've looked on ebay for one but nada.

Last edited:
I have one of these i would be willing to give to a quad guy. I know it plays great, rewind is an issue. As Ben says, the frequency response is quite remarkable. The other issue is i do not want to ship it. This thing weighs as much as a bag of cement, and it is big. Rather just hand it off to a quaddy fellow who wants to play with it. Probably a northwest usa thing unless you want to drive. PM if you are interested.

Tad, As I hinted above, mine is giving me some difficulties lately and I would be interested in this. Please check your PM.

Thanks,
- Ben

I have two of these bad boys. The black faced one and the silver faced one. Thanks for the pics! All I had was a crappy b/w distorted .pdf copy of the brochure.

I recently made a video on this machine.

You had me going there for a second; looked like you had it set up at a shooting holler to blast it- LOL 😝
You ever try Mr Clean Magic Eraser on those flat face plate areas, just think it might work in some situations (but test it first for sure!)
What about using DeoXit D5 for those pots, doesn’t WD-40 leave a residue?

You had me going there for a second; looked like you had it set up at a shooting holler to blast it- LOL 😝
You ever try Mr Clean Magic Eraser on those flat face plate areas, just think it might work in some situations (but test it first for sure!)
What about using DeoXit D5 for those pots, doesn’t WD-40 leave a residue?

I have not tried the magic eraser, but next time I'll see how it goes. I've used Deoxit previously and was not impressed. There's a lot of conjecture over the safety of the WD on components. I've been using it safely for the past 15 years, and yes it does leave a thin film of oil but in my experience it has helped to lubricate the mechanism and protect the electrical contacts from further corrosion.

I have not tried the magic eraser, but next time I'll see how it goes. I've used Deoxit previously and was not impressed. There's a lot of conjecture over the safety of the WD on components. I've been using it safely for the past 15 years, and yes it does leave a thin film of oil but in my experience it has helped to lubricate the mechanism and protect the electrical contacts from further corrosion.

If its okay to brag a little...I have this brochure and the GX-400D-SS in near pristine condition with the original box and paperwork. Although its got a wonky right tension arm (which is near impossible to repair) it is still playing tapes with great fidelity. These are selling for a lot more than $400-800 these days and I would sell my Akai GX-747dbx before I would let this vintage beauty go.

Back