Q4 Allman Brothers at Filmore East & Q4 Black Oak Arkansas "Raunch and Roll"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dauQula

Don't think I've ever seen the double quad tape Filmore East on Ebay before. Seller never used any "Quad" variation in auction title and just simply lists them as "Classic Rock" After perusing 60 pages of "Reel Tape" listings, I noticed a flood of bootleg reel tapes from the "Ukraine Republic" and other former Soviet states. All recorded at 15ips, a dead giveaway that they are copies.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Reel-To-Re...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The Allman and Black Oak tapes are legit. I have them both, The fake tapes from the Ukraine, that's a different story.

The Allman and Black Oak tapes are legit. I have them both, The fake tapes from the Ukraine, that's a different story.
What about the "Quadra Disc" logo references on the front photo? Why would a Q4 tape make references to a disc format? There are several more Q4 tapes with such markings that hit Ebay yesterday. Something seems strange about these photos on a reel to reel product.

Quite a few WEA and RCA reels had Quadradisc logo's of one sort or another. Just to name a few:

Holiday (America)
Fillmore (Alman's)
Best of Aretha (Franklin)
Devine Miss M (idler)
Black Oak Akansas
Hotcakes (Carly Simon)
What Were Once Vices (Doobies)
Greatest Hits (Friends of Distinction)[RCA]
Sundown (Gordon Lightfoot)
Hold On (Herbie Mann)
Nilsson Schmilsson [RCA]
Good Old Boys (Randy Newman)
Summer Breeze (S&C)
Unborn Child (S&C)
Sound in Motion
Spinners (First Album)
Aqualung (Tull)
War Child (Tull)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQReelGallery.htm

What about the "Quadra Disc" logo references on the front photo? Why would a Q4 tape make references to a disc format? There are several more Q4 tapes with such markings that hit Ebay yesterday. Something seems strange about these photos on a reel to reel product.

I think in an effort to save money, they just reused the already-extant Quadradisc album art. Though, why would they not just pull the stereo album art (since usually, that would have no reference to the format) and besides, the box bore a large QUADRAPHONIC across the top anyway? *sigh* Record Companies.

But also don't forget there are even some Q8's that feature the Quadradisc artwork!! The ones off the top of my head are Aretha's Best of and The Spinners' New & Improved. OH! and Clapton's 461 Ocean Blvd and Tubular Bells, too!

If anybody recalls the dude on ebay who was charging $150-$250 for any DVD, Any Reel of tape; I tried contacting him and requested a few 4-channel mixes; some of whom we know do not exist. He claimed to have access to all sorts of "multichannel" though never did specify if it was vintage Quad or modern 5.1. Regardless, the price he quoted me was waaaay more than I wanted to spend and probably receive nothing in return for.

I still wish I'd saved pictures of those Q8's that appeared on ebay about 15 years ago, where somebody was LITERALLY pasting on funny Q8 logos all over obvious stereo tapes and making "Quad notches" in stereo tape cartridges with a soldering iron.

There have have been a few "interesting" sellers on ebay over the years!

I can easily see someone recording a Pink Floyd or Tull, Doors, etc. BluRay or SACD quad program to 4-channel reel-to-reel and calling it a rare British master 1/4" tape. Or even dubbing commercial Q4s to another Q4.

But fake Q8s that are not going to play correct quad is a new low. I doubt they last long even on ebay.

I still wish I'd saved pictures of those Q8's that appeared on ebay about 15 years ago, where somebody was LITERALLY pasting on funny Q8 logos all over obvious stereo tapes and making "Quad notches" in stereo tape cartridges with a soldering iron.

There have have been a few "interesting" sellers on ebay over the years!
They probably recorded Q8s to blank 8-track tape. And dressed them up as well as they knew how.

Back