Q4 + Matrix Encoded Stereo Open Reel Elsewhere

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
Any Quad titles that were released as a Q4 Discrete Quad Open Reel tape in one area and as a Matrix Quad Encoded Stereo Open Reel tape in other area(s)?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Could you point one Matrix Quad Encoded Stereo open reel tape? Will like to see it...

I don't know of any, I thought that somewhere in the World, a record company division might want to use the Quad mix done by their parent company, but Q4 duplicating and/or playback machines weren't available in that area, so a Matrix Encoded Stereo Open Reel prerecorded tape was released.

Kirk Bayne

I thought Radio Shack might have released a Matrix Encoded Open Reel tape (and probably using the EV Stereo-4 system - I bought their Stereo-4 encoded demo cassette [the Open Reel tape appears to contain the same content]).

Kirk Bayne

There is an EV-4 encoded sound effects demonstration for Realistic on open reel, but I assume there is no discrete release.
That's the only one I've ever seen too:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg Realistic Stereo-4 Q4.jpg

I've also recently seen this SQ encoded reel, but it's only a calibration tape for matrix broadcasting:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Apparently back in the latter 70's there was a company that was providing SQ encoded Reels.
Barclay Crocker.

However I don't know if they also provided Q4 counterparts.

Back