Q8: Akai CR-80D-SS Q8 Recorder/Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, my Akai arrived today!

Not bad I must say,,, playing slightly, and I mean slightly slow.
I'm a little worried about it though, because when I record on it it might play a little fast in my deck in the truck.
Is there a speed adjustment besides the switch on the bottom of the unit itself?
Gotta be a speed adjustment internally somewhere right?

Ok. So after it has been played for awhile, it seems to get up to speed. Where are the points of oiling the mother etc located?

Maybe it is two years late. But, maybe it is still a mis.

In fact, there is nothing wrong with it. I just bought of these tape. The tape has audio tape on both side!

Just bought one of these from the US and had it shipped to the UK. Changed voltage and frequency to 240V 50Hz, but am getting a background 50Hz hum - any ideas please?

Bryan

Just bought one of these from the US and had it shipped to the UK. Changed voltage and frequency to 240V 50Hz, but am getting a background 50Hz hum - any ideas please?

Bryan

Assuming its only required switch settings on the back of the unit from 110V->240V & 60Hz->50Hz - then an Earth loop with the rest of your kit, poor Earthing, or a dry solder joint in the Akai.

Thanks - and sorry that I missed this reply (must check my notification settings!).

I've tried earthing the chassis, but no luck. Yes - both the voltage and frequency are set to UK requirements.

The unit only hums once I press the play button, so I guess it's to do with that part of the circuit being completed. I am more au fait with valve (tube) gear than solid state kit. With valve equipment, I'd be looking at the smoothing caps leaking and feeding the 50Hz into the circuit.

Any ideas?

Bryan

Sorted! Sometimes it's the obvious things that you miss!!!

The CR-80D was placed next to my huge Saba valve radio which acts as the amp for the front channels. It was clearly picking the hum up from that - when I moved them about 4 feet away from each other the hum disappeared!!

Just bought Dark Side of the Moon on Quad - wow!!!

Bryan

I picked this unit up in Pleasanton CA. from a guy ( original owner ) my 7001.jpgwho had a complete Sansui quad system. It works and sounds great ! Yeah , it would be nice if the vu meters lit up. Right after I bought it , the thought of installing led lighting popped in my head , just for a second. I've had this unit just the way I bought it for about three years now and it is still working great !

I have two of these decks. The first one was a thrift store find and the second bought online because the first deck has a channel going in and out. I use the deck mainly for converting Q8s to Q4s with fantastic results. However, recording is difficult with no pause and having to wait for the tape to "come around" to get to the place you want to record. Friends are amazed when they find out they are listening to an 8 track tape. It is my opinion many tapes get tangled on the capstan because of the foil splice, which is in the process of coming off on most tapes. Another thing I have noticed is that regular reel tape does not work in an 8 track shell. The gray grahite looking backing on 8 tracks tape is apparantly required for 8 tracks to work.
I got one of these back in about 1980. I was thrilled to find it at Huppins Hi Fi in Spokane, WA. I bought it right away. I still own it. I have the issue with channels cutting out, but I found that if you remove the cart and stop the player, then press the record button (loud pop) then hit 'stop' so that the record is disengaged, and it now works in all four channels. I can't recall how I figured this out now, 40 years later, and I understand that different units have different causes for the dropout, but give it a try! My recent conversation with Quad Bob included a reference to him having one of these and rehabbing it to get rid of the crackle/dropout issue. Maybe some day...

I'd also like to get mine rebuilt, starting to take long warming up before all the static goes away.
I'm looking into the what 3 pin replacement Transistors I need for the pre amp board.
Component reference designator TR2, Part number 2SC693 and TR3 2SC7111.
And if these two parts don't clear up the noise, then I need to figure out a mod for the 9 pin IC-1, Sanyo LD 3141 albatross.

Best Q8 deck I've owned so far and I've had a few!

Love: The Erase Head, The Washing Machine sized Motor, the Stop/Play/FFWD controls.
Hate: Non-illuminated VU's, inability to toggle between 2ch/4ch mode, no 4ch headphone output, no pause button.

Clearly, the Good outweighs the Bad. I upgraded to one of these from a Panasonic/Technics 858. Loved the styling, lighted VU's, pause button and Noise Suppressor on the Technics, but it's motor was weak and the cartridge latching system left much to be desired. Recording on it was easy with the pause button (very useful when editing) but with no erase head and my degausser on the fritz (and the SHITTY motor in the unit) made recording impossible. The tape speed varied too much so that playing tapes in other decks was laughable. I'd almost wager that the power supply in the 858 is under sized. The lights would dim significantly when recording and restarting the motor. Took way too long to get up to speed.

My Akai on the other hand made my US Q8 of DSOTM discrete. I recorded the discrete Alan Parsons mix onto the tape, in the order of the US Q8 ;) and the Akai had NO issues. Wiped out the old recording and with steady speed made a GREAT tape to audition at car shows! (all my AMC's are Quad-Capable).
Well, I took care of the non-illuminated VU's with a UV LED (UV's for VU"s?). Turns out the needles already have florescent paint on them. All I needed was to retrofit another transformer module and replace the front panel switch with another jack. Presto! Two "downsides" taken care of. I am studying the pause circuitry on the Akai GXR-82D to see if it can be modified for the CR80/D/-SS. 20210328_183259.jpg20210328_183223.jpg

The UV illuminated VU meters look is awesome. This is something I might replicate.

"replace the front panel switch with another jack."

What do you mean by this? Replace which front panel switch with another jack?

Thanks

I think I can bump this thread.

I have acquired one of these units, see below. Had it running on 50 Hz before I noticed the switch and, after powering down, put it to 60.

It plays strongly, sounds good, and, although I have only tested stereo 8s, the 4 channel mode grabs the other program appropriately. I connected it to both tape ins of my Pioneer unit in the background. I have not tested cans yet.

I can hear other programs dimly between songs of the program I am on. I believe that is head alignment. I hear a noise floor when that source is selected and the unit is powered up. It is not a buzz, but rather the slight smooth static of connected electronics. I need to have to change programs with and without speakers volume on, I think it may be sending a thump through them on program change.

Got a fairly good deal on it, it's still pretty, but it may need a little help.

Response to previous post: Dude replaced the front or back selector switch for the cans with another jack for the cans. Using quad capable cans, he can now hear all four channels at once.

20230227_123608.jpg

Check/replace foam pressure pads in the tapes and try many tapes before considering head alignment. Unless someone has changed it, there's no reason it would've changed. I had a deck as a kid and drove myself nuts trying to align for every tape (before I know the foam gets weak). After initially changing it I was never sure it was back in place. This matters more with decks that have worn heads, can't realign those without potentially wrinkling tapes.

Check/replace foam pressure pads in the tapes and try many tapes before considering head alignment. Unless someone has changed it, there's no reason it would've changed. I had a deck as a kid and drove myself nuts trying to align for every tape (before I know the foam gets weak). After initially changing it I was never sure it was back in place. This matters more with decks that have worn heads, can't realign those without potentially wrinkling tapes.

You are correct, it is heavily tape condition related. I need to get up to speed on my 8 track repairing station.

Well, I took care of the non-illuminated VU's with a UV LED (UV's for VU"s?). Turns out the needles already have florescent paint on them. All I needed was to retrofit another transformer module and replace the front panel switch with another jack. Presto! Two "downsides" taken care of. I am studying the pause circuitry on the Akai GXR-82D to see if it can be modified for the CR80/D/-SS. View attachment 73131View attachment 73132
Would you pass on parts/ part # to do this job and where is your power source? Pics would be nice if possible. Thanks!

Back