Q8.And Q4 Tapes plus MIXING In QUAD For Future Release (BILLBOARD 1972 - 1976)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Larry , but no where in that history was there even any mention of Warner or Rhino. And Capitol was only one year fwiw.
The label was given the name Blue Thumb , by Captain Beefheart in 68. Remember were only referring to the "one" Tyrannasuarus Rex album , Unicorn on Blue Thumb. That's the important point.

I know in North America Reprise (WB) Records took them on sometime in the early 70's . I believe it was in 1971 after they shortened their name to T REX.
First of all, they had TWO albums on BT. A Beard Of Stars also was on BT. And my point still holds, Tyrannosaurus Rex (or TRex) never appeared on a MCA related label, at time of release, in the US. Still haven't to this day. All Universal releases were in Europe.

First of all, they had TWO albums on BT. A Beard Of Stars also was on BT. And my point still holds, Tyrannosaurus Rex (or TRex) never appeared on a MCA related label, at time of release, in the US. Still haven't to this day. All Universal releases were in Europe.

Although those Blue Thumb masters would be with MCA NOW ! I don't think they might of had a quad mix , Larry.

My point which still stands , is that many labels mixed and stored away quad tapes in anticipation of adopting some form of quad format. My previous posts attest to Record labels such the likes of ; Polydor , Polygram , DGG , Decca , Phillips , EMI , MCA and likely some I've not mentioned.
I still find it rather "Ironic" that T REX wherever the Country was.... ended up on a known quad supporter , namely BLUE THUMB records.

Thanks for the input , btw. :)

A little Q8 info.

Ford Motors has decided that both the1976 Lincolns and Thunderbird will be outfitted with Q8 players.
(Dec 06 1975 ; 58)

Rolls Royce will contain Q8 players made by Pioneer Electronics .
(Dec 21st 1974 ; 49)

According to The CD-Forum .....Q8's first appeared in 1969 . In the same article they too , mention Ford's commitment to install Q8 Players in T Birds and Lincolns .
(CD-forum Vol 2 #6 , Nov Dec Jan 76 issue page 1)

United Artists Q8 Advertisement , which contains Q8's that were scheduled but never released.
Such as Hawkwind and Traffic .
(Jan 19th 1974 ; 52)

Little article that mentions Frank Zappa - recorded onto 4 track Reel , all of his Live Concerts. Unfortunately the rear
channels were mostly in ambience.
(Jan 12th 1974 , pgs 14 , 18 , 39)

The Moody Blues have issued The Moody Blues Q8 Seventh Sojourn on Ampex Tapes.
The following Comment is by Decca Engineer/Promotions : "Now The Seventh Sojourn sounds the same way as it did in the Recording Studio"
(March 03rd 1973 ; 31)

In the album reviews of new releases the following comment was said about this album-

The Kingsway Symphony Orchestra - Music From Walt Disney's Fantasia , featuring The Sorcerers Apprentice , The Dance Of The Hour , and Night On Bald Mountain :
London Records SPC 21076
"A Quadrasonic assemblage of works made familiar "
(March 03rd 1973 ; 106)

There is an interesting op/ed article on European Studios equipping for quad mixes . Studios in Belgum ,
Dutch STUDIOS , and Decca France (Sofrason) which is also equipped for QS Encoding.
Also mentioned for quad upgrades is Chateau Herouville , France who recently recorded with Pink Floyd.
(Apr 07 1973 ; 33, 34 , 38)

Article on Quad in the U.K.
Q8's are outselling discs , So far EMI has 20 titles , and PYE/Precision has 8 .
(April 07th 1973 ; 60)

Last edited:
TEAC Tascam mixer introduced . Has 8 inputs and 4 outputs and includes a quad panner.
(March 17th 1973 ; 22)

Q-Cassette by Nippon Columbia has both matrix and discrete capability... featured at the A.E.S. in Rotterdam
(March 17th 1973 ; 29)

Ampex Tapes , bows their first 8 Quad Reels , they already have 48 Q8 titles.
(March 31st 1973 ; 50)

Harrison Tape Guide now includes quad tapes.
(March 31st 1973 ; 53)

In the album reviews of new releases the following comment was said about this album-

The Kingsway Symphony Orchestra - Music From Walt Disney's Fantasia , featuring The Sorcerers Apprentice , The Dance Of The Hour , and Night On Bald Mountain :
London Records SPC 21076
"A Quadrasonic assemblage of works made familiar "
(March 03rd 1973 ; 106)
Interesting. If you check out Discogs, I don't see any quad version of this. Q8 or otherwise. I wonder why? 🤔

@gvl_guy

That's a good question , but I do believe that Disney film Fantasia was one of the first to have a quad soundtrack for theatre sound.

Never the less , that review in Billboard actually says what I copied as is. Is it a"stealth" quad album ? You just never know.

Here's a tidbit of interest regarding an early supporter of all things quadraphonic ;

"We have been interested in 4 channel product since 1963 , when Dr. Lloyd Ryan of the General Electric Company called us and worked with us in the Studio to produce what we believe might be the first four channel reel-reel tape ., Unfortunately Dr. Ryan passed away shortly thereafter and four channel lay dormant until about four years ago."

-ENOCH LIGHT (Project 3 Records)

(CD-FORUM Volume 1 Number 2 , June 1974 page 4)

Ford was putting Q8 decks in Lincolns/Thunderchickens/Gran Burritos long before the '76 model year. My family owned a '74 Continental Mark IV and it had a factory "Quadrasonic" AM/FM stereo. That was a one-owner, untouched example. I can remember as a children, we'd borrow the car from grandpa or uncle (whomever had it at the time, as I mention, it was more of a "family" vehicle) and I'd ask my father what "Quadrasonic" meant. Dare I say that was my first introduction to Quad. We had no Quad tapes, only stereo stuff.... and it took me until my high-school years to finally learn what Quad was and then slowly began the sickness of collecting....

I suspect other manufacturers were dipping their toes into Quad. While no other manufacturer DID, about that time, 1972-1974, ALL U.S. manufacturers (including little AMC) had adopted four-speaker FM stereo or Stereo tape systems. Now, it was either a matter of complicating things and selling more speakers *OR* somebody had heard about Quad and Quad FM and figured that'd be the next big thing. Let's get four speakers in the cars NOW.... and when these 4-channel systems finally do appear, it's just a matter of swapping out the head unit.

It really does strike me as *unusual* since for the 1973 model year, AMC's "Big cars"; the Ambassador, Matador & Javelin all received 4-speaker AM/FM stereos *OR* if you got the stereo tape option, you still got 4-speakers. I find this a little odd because from 1968-1972, if you got FM stereo or stereo tape, you only got TWO speakers. Then in 1974, 4-speaker stereo was available in little Hornets and even the Gremlin! Highly suspect since 1973 & 1974 are the height of the Quad era. Field testing of Quad FM had already begun and applications for Quad FM broadcast were being made.

Strange coincidence or an example of corporations preparing for the next big deal?

Sort of like how for the latter half of the 1970's, factory built-in CB radios were a big deal. Once upon a time, I believe we had some pretty "hip" car people....

Some more ;

JVC 'S Q-Cassette uses a "cronios" 4 channel tape head . Tape Deck Model number is the 4 CD -1680 compatible with 2channel and mono . It can pickup to 8 signals.
(July 07 1973 , 48)

A&M announced 15 Q8'S are coming , eg Joe Cocker (2) , Cat Stevens (3) , Rick Wakeman and others .
(July 14 1973 ,03)

Both Columbia Masterworks and RCA Red Seal are exploring quadraphonic recording techniques.
(July 21 1973 , 64)

Four audio manufacturers in Japan adopt 4 channel cassette players , Aiwa , Hitachi , Matshushita , and JVC . All demonstrated prototypes with Hitachi's pending.
(July 28 1973 , 33)

A&M Records Canada to release Rick Wakeman Six Wives (in both SQ and QS)* along with release of 15 Q8'S .
(Same as with the 15 released in the US.)
(August 11 1973 , 77)

Sound City , Van Nuys has Mark Smith in to quad mix BTO Not Fragile.
(October 12 1974 , 54)

*that is verbatim ....but I do not think this occurred and doubt the accuracy.

Last edited:
Rod Stewart 's first quadraphonic album will be "Smiler" on Q8 .
(November 16 1974 , 29)

The album "Tim Weisberg - 4 " was played in a quadraphonic demonstration
at A&M Records .
(December 14 1974 , 27)

United Artists Recordings are still looking at choosing a 4channel disc format.
(March 22 1975 , 06)

Randy California is at Sound City , Van Nuys California doing a quad mix for a solo album.
(July 05 1975 , 25 )

Herb Pilhofer had his album "Music That Works 2" mixed as a quad audio/video demo at Sound 80 Studios in Minneapolis .
(July 12 1975 , 34)

Warner Brothers Records handles all tape production for "Rod Stewart 's -Smiler" album , and Mercury Records has the vinyl rights .
(September 20 1975 , 20)
(just guessing , but this could be why the quad tape Q8 , previously announced was never released)

Pro quad artists . "Burton Cummings"of The Guess Who , is pro quadraphonic as mentioned in an article regarding artist's acceptance of the medium.
(October 18 1975 , 10)

Seven Latino Q8'S are advertised, 5 from Musart and 2 from Peerless.
(March 27 1976 , 76)...see also a large advertisement of Latino Q8'S by Musart and Peerless (March 23 1974 , 57)

Quad Enterprises (Sound Value Q8'S) presents an advertisement of their first of 75 Q8'S to be released including listings artists titles and tape numbering.
(June 15 1974 , 66)

Diana Ross is going to release a Best Of Q8 on Motown Records.
(May 11 1974 , 03)

New Products :
Advertisement of Budget Q8'S out of Oklahoma City.
(May 11 1974 , 58)

Music Mothers Studios , Indianapolis are having Michael Henderson and Lonestar on TRC Records , latest set mixed in quad.
(April 20 1974 , 18)

"Steve Miller" previewed his new self produced album at a Quadraphonic listening Party in The Capitol Records Tower Studio.
(May 01, 1976 , 44)

"David Bowie" takes an artistic stand against 4 Channel ...according to Ken Glancy of RCA Records .
(July 31 1976 , 26)

Motown Productions-Discoteque ....A score of 4 channel Disco songs is being planned for the film ..."About A Night In A Westwood Disco". This according to
Rob Cohen , Executive Vice President .
(November 20 1976 , 106)

It really does strike me as *unusual* since for the 1973 model year, AMC's "Big cars"; the Ambassador, Matador & Javelin all received 4-speaker AM/FM stereos *OR* if you got the stereo tape option, you still got 4-speakers. I find this a little odd because from 1968-1972, if you got FM stereo or stereo tape, you only got TWO speakers. Then in 1974, 4-speaker stereo was available in little Hornets and even the Gremlin! Highly suspect since 1973 & 1974 are the height of the Quad era. I believe we had some pretty "hip" car people....

I can just picture Wayne and Garth listening to Queen ( in quad )
in their GREMLIN !!!

Back